posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Nice Steel Hull

OTOH that boat is not over running the wave crests. You can see quite
clearly when a wave rolls under the bow; in the previous video you can
see quite clearly that the Benny was running faster than the waves.

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:
Not all wave speeds are created equal. The larger the wave the

longer
the wavelength and the faster it travels (in deep water).

True, I forgot about that.

How much faster do you think the waves are going in the 2nd (condo-
maran) video?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 9:16 am,

How much faster do you think the waves are going in the 2nd (condo-
maran) video?

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:
Dunno but it is obviously more exposed just looking at the pictures
even before looking up the answer that one is in the Gulf of Lyon amd
the other the Isselmeer.

Yes, in the catamaran video the waves are much higher and more
regular...

IMHO taking a close look at the wakes of the two vessels gives a
better clue as to relative speeds... IMHO it still looks like the
Benny is going faster.

.... Your best bet at guessing the wave speed is
to guess the wavelength/period and work it out but I have yet to see
two waves the same on the sea.

What do you think of the "group of sevens" theory? I have seen waves
travel in packs of 7, but at times it has also seemed to me that they
follow fractal relationships, or are completely random.

I wonder why he is using his foot on the tiller (benny) but I like his
style and is keeping it remarkably steady.

I think the boat is carrying a slight lee helm, and he's using his
foot to bring the nose up fast without losing his balance. Many hot
boats have a bit of lee helm when the sprit is run out & the A-sail
flying.... makes going downwind a little easier, the boat doesn't tend
to broach.

I liked the Benny video, the gys were clearly having a fun and the
boat was nowhere near it's limit, weather-wise.... even if it is a
Bendy-toy

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:08:02 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 15, 9:16 am,

[...]

I luv them all..

I wonder why he is using his foot on the tiller (benny) but I like his
style and is keeping it remarkably steady.

I think the boat is carrying a slight lee helm, and he's using his
foot to bring the nose up fast without losing his balance. Many hot
boats have a bit of lee helm when the sprit is run out & the A-sail
flying.... makes going downwind a little easier, the boat doesn't tend
to broach.

I liked the Benny video, the gys were clearly having a fun and the
boat was nowhere near it's limit, weather-wise.... even if it is a
Bendy-toy

DSK

Unless you're in a steel hull Joe Cruising 4 May 1st 07 03:35 AM
Unless you're in a steel hull Joe ASA 4 May 1st 07 03:35 AM
Nice Hull Joe ASA 6 April 11th 06 08:56 PM
porthole in a steel hull [email protected] Boat Building 4 January 6th 06 11:28 AM
Why a Steel Hull Joe ASA 48 April 21st 05 01:43 AM