Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Requesting advice on my sailboat racing plan

I want to tell you a short story to give you background, then ask for
your advice about entering a race series.

I have rearranged my schedule so that I can sail next June-October in
a Wednesday night "Beer-Can" race series. I'll be sailing a Catalina
250 or 27 in the "Cruiser" class. (No spinnakers)

I would like to implement a plan that does the following:

1. Put together a crew. (Or if I can put together two crews, we can
practice/race together to keep an edge on and learn together until
June.)

2. Begin practicing and learning on Wednesdays until June.

3. Compete and do well in the series.

My background/experience:
a. Completed beginner, intermediate and advanced U.S. Navy classes
(qualified to rent Cat 250's and Cat 27's.)
b. Crewed in a few races.
c. 100+ hours local sailing experience.

I have several books on racing and rules. I understand the basics of
rules, but right now, lose most rules in the heat of the moment. I've
ordered a bunch of sailing books.

I'm getting a feel for rigging and getting in a groove upwind, but
have no clue what I'm doing downwind. (If the strategy is anything but
head for the downwind mark, I'm not sure what course(s) to steer and
why.) I'm starting to build checklists for what to do at the dock, in
the hour before the race, etc. so I can get into a structure routine.

So..... My questions...

How do you like my plan?
What is your advice on things to do, include or avoid?
What can I do when there are no other boats around to find out how I'm
doing?