posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Too many toys

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 24, 10:00 pm, Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage Harleys is
quite impressive.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I'll admit, I am too wussy for motorcycles.

Better watch out. Horvath is going to want to meet you.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bloody Horvath" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty"

wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage

Harleys is
quite impressive.

do you have a 1948, 45?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 25, 10:56 am, "Scotty" wrote:
"Bloody Horvath" wrote in message

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty"

wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage

Harleys is
quite impressive.

do you have a 1948, 45?

Being the ultimate geek would have been a problem a generation ago
when they were held in low esteem but geeks have been fairly
successful today. In my case, I was able to get my attention span all
the way up to 20 minutes in grad school (physics). You know those
classes that are often taught at conferences where they cram a
semesters worth of stuff into 8 hours, I dont even consider them. My
being unable to watch movies makes my wife crazy, especially when I
get bored 10 minutes before the end and get up and walk away. I am
unable to read facial expressions or "the look in someones eyes" and
until I was 20 did not even know that such existed and had to train
myself to look at peoples eyes but still dont see anything. At a
cocktail party someone can introduce themselves and 5 minutes later
could introduce themselves as someone different and I would be
clueless. This has had some embarassing consequences.
Fortunately, my two older kids did not inherit this. Unfortunately,
my 11 yr old daughter did. She obsesses over Google Earth and gets so
obsessed with certain topics she makes you crazy talking about them
(right now it is caves). A male can get away with this because if he
is independent enough he can simply go his own way but I fear that
life will be very tough for a girl like this. She has no idea that
other little girls think she is weird and as her few friends get older
and more interested in normal girl stuff they will abandon her and it
will break my heart. When I see her staring at maps, I feel happy
that she is like me but then I realize her fate to not have the social
network that girls need. She is already alien to my wife who doesnt
understand her. My wife couldnt find her way out of a paper bag but
we let little Katie have the map and be navigator on trips.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Frogwatch wrote:
The wooden boats have not given too much trouble since I learned to
saturate the wood with epoxy.

Extends the life of the wood, but not forever. "Saturation" even with
thinned epoxy is only about 1 mm so it's really just a bonded coating.

It also depends on the wood. I built a small dinghy out of cheap-o
luaun plywood, saturated it with epoxy (a silly thing to do, since the
cost of the epoxy would have justified using more expensive wood; but
I was in a hurry and already had the epoxy anyway). It lasted two
years, at the end of which it was sprouting quarter-sized punk spots.

Basically, building the boats is sorta therapy.

It certainly can be. I've enjoyed the boatbuilding projects I've done;
likewise with the boat-improvement projects.

The question is, what is more rewarding way to invest your time:
building a boat vs going kayaking with your daughter. Working on your
old truck vs. going caving.
Etc etc etc.

Time is the most valuable thing you have.

... Of course, you can imagine I am ready to jump overboard after a
few hours of a long sailing passage (yup, same horizon, 10 minutes
later, no change, 10 minutes later... ad infinitum).
When I read about people who go off on long sailing trips, I wonder if
there is something wrong with me or something wrong with them cuz I'd
go nuts after a few days.

A long ocean-crossing passage *is* boring. The only reason to do it is
because you want to get yourself & your boat to the other side. If
such a trip becomes exciting, it's a sign of poor planning.

OTOH shorter trips along interesting shores, into various ports,
exploring waterways, etc etc, can be lots of fun. Not really crash-
bang-boom exciting (or at least, shouldn't be IMHO), and the horizon
doesn't change much during that 10 minute span. And it's an excellent
justification for owning a good boat.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
A.D.D.

Nope, it's prosopagnosia. Adult ADD manifests itself:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...t_symptoms.htm

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:56:21 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage

Harleys is
quite impressive.

do you have a 1948, 45?

Sure I've got a 45. I shoot it often. I hand load 230 grain ball
ammo, but I purchase the hollow points.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:56:21 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage

Harleys is

quite impressive.

do you have a 1948, 45?

Sure I've got a 45. I shoot it often. I hand load 230 grain ball
ammo, but I purchase the hollow points.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

He has to...he lieves on the eastern side of Michigan....if you're not
eprsonally armed, you're dead...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:05:33 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Autism.

Mark E. Williams
posted to alt.sailing.asa

[...]

Stop sterotyping females, fiirst of all...not all females fit in your
little scenario...my daughter is an engineer,,she has no use for
girly-girl "networking" or whatever...one granddughtr is like her, the
other very "girly girl" with tons of female friends that all stab each
other in the back (behind each others backs)...make yourself sit through
the movie "Mean Girls" and then readjust your thinking about what you
want for your daughter...stir her into the science clubs at
school...she'll probably have boys for her best friends...that's not a
bad thing...she probably has an IQ above and beyond your other two girls
and your wife...

toys Scotty ASA 0 November 2nd 05 02:47 AM
Stinkpotter toys? Navigator ASA 0 May 31st 04 11:57 PM
Best tow toys? Trevor Miller General 9 May 24th 04 08:12 PM
Cylinder Index - big boys with toys Marsh Jones General 13 October 10th 03 09:31 PM
Value of Toys! CANDChelp ASA 43 July 25th 03 11:59 AM