posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Too many toys

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:58:49 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote:

The WY cabin is a recent addition and will be our place in Summer to
escape the FL heat.

Last time I was in Wyoming in the summer it was about 105F, and there
was no ocean to cool off in, and hardly any shade either.
I asked the cowboy running the KOA if there was shade on the sites.
He said, "Sure pardner." , looked at his watch, "but you'll have to
wait a few hours." Sundown.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Lloyd Bonafide" wrote in message

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...
At some point, you exceed the optimum number of "toys" so that your
ability to maintain them begins to exceed your time to use them. I
believe this has happed to me. With two small homebuilt sailboats
and
a 28' S2 sailboat, a homebuilt dinghy, a 20' Tolman Skiff
(homeebuilt)
and a canoe, a 100 yr old log cabin in Wyoming that needs rebuilding,
an old Nissan truck with 309,000 miles on it that I love and a need
maintain camping and caving equipment (did I mention a 20 yr old
Dodge
Ram I inherited), I have no time to use any of it.
Yesterday, we wanted to go sailing but after I had de-fouled the prop
by going overboard in the canal, the engine overheated. Dang, I knew
I shoulda had the bottom painted thsi year (its been 4 years, a long
time in N. FL.). Engine intake was clogged with fouling and I
couldnt
find a piece of stiff wire long enough to run through the intake from
inside (I wasnt going back in that nasty water again). So, sometime
this week, I gotta take time offa work and go to the coast and do
this, oughta replace the impeller at same time, scrape barnacles too.
My prop is just about shot from corrosion and dings so I'll haveta
sail her about 40 miles sometime in early Oct to have her hauled,
prop
replaced, I will paint the bottom, and replace cutless bearing.
Somehow this week, I gotta set up caving gear for 5 people cuz my 20
yr old daughter has decided she wants to take her new BF on a caving
trip (gotta take the younger kids too).
Somehow, I think that I can do all of this if I optimally use each
evening and weekend to do stuff but something has to give. Money has
not been an issue because I do all the work myself cuz I dont like
the
work anybody esle does and I have built 4 of my boats and my truck
was
paid off 16 yrs ago. What should I give up to make room for doing
stuff?
OH, I have this notion of building a kayak for my 11 yr old daughter
cuz she likes kayaks............

Your life is focused on crap and maintaining the crap. Those "toys"
are no longer tools that are an extension of yourself but rather a
time consuming form of bondage. What is it that is important in your
life? What is it that you want to do? Are you using all this fixing up
old stuff to avoid actually doing something? Is fighting life on too
many fronts diluting your efforts/clouding your vision?

The stuff you have is merely an end product of your mental
organization and executive function. Take a long hard honest look at
yourself and your priorities. Once you have that straight everything
else is simple. Learn to trust others, learn to live with their
mistakes and learn to let go.

Spot on. Simple is better.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 24, 7:58 pm, "Scotty" wrote:
[...]

Down on the plains, Wy is hot and boring. Up in the Mts, its cool
with aspens, lodgepole pines, streams, etc. They do have some big man
made lakes. Jackson lake really might be nice but is about 250 miles
from our place near Casper.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 24, 8:21 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Sep 24, 7:58 pm, "Scotty" wrote:

What, no motorcycles?

Scotty"Frogwatch" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I s'pose I never really liked motorcycles. Had to give up mountain
biking, arthritis in wrists.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage Harleys is
quite impressive.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 24, 10:00 pm, Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage Harleys is
quite impressive.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I'll admit, I am too wussy for motorcycles.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...

Basically, building the boats is sorta therapy. I suffer (or more
like I benefit from) from an amazingly short attention span so I am
unable to deal with ANY passive entertainment (except reading) meaning
I have not been to a movie, concert or even watched TV for about 3
years.

Is this an attention span problem or is it because passive entertainment
basically sucks? Perhaps you are the type of person that doesn't need to be
entertained.

This means LOTS of free time that would be spent doing that
stuff that I spend building the boat and working on my old truck,
etc.

Actually exercising the mind and hands.

Of course, you can imagine I am ready to jump overboard after a
few hours of a long sailing passage (yup, same horizon, 10 minutes
later, no change, 10 minutes later... ad infinitum).

I bet you loved being an employee.

When I read about people who go off on long sailing trips, I wonder if
there is something wrong with me or something wrong with them cuz I'd
go nuts after a few days.

Nothing wrong with you. For most people sailing is an escape. For you it is
imprisonment.

There's nothing wrong with you. You fit the profile of a good
engineer/scientist. Expand your horizons!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:29:43 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote this crap:

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage Harleys is
quite impressive.

I'll admit, I am too wussy for motorcycles.

You should hook up with Jon-boy.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

At some point, you exceed the optimum number of "toys" so that
your
ability to maintain them begins to exceed your time to use
them.

I sold my "hobby" car years ago and limit the amount of golf I now
play. Leaves more free time in the summer for sailing. I wouldn't
have time to mess with the car and maintain the boat. When the boat
gets hauled in November I start messing with trains. So now there are
only 2 seasons of "stuff"

toys Scotty ASA 0 November 2nd 05 02:47 AM
Stinkpotter toys? Navigator ASA 0 May 31st 04 11:57 PM
Best tow toys? Trevor Miller General 9 May 24th 04 08:12 PM
Cylinder Index - big boys with toys Marsh Jones General 13 October 10th 03 09:31 PM
Value of Toys! CANDChelp ASA 43 July 25th 03 11:59 AM