posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default AeroRig?

Interesting rigging that I stumbled across looking at this boat:

http://www.luxist.com/2007/09/05/mona-lisa-yacht/

Can't find much about it except for this:

http://www.yachtprojectsetc.com/AeroRig/index.html

Anyone know more about it?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Been around for 6 years or more. Idea is no tacking of jib and as the
photo shows easy to do wing on wing downwind. I think part of the
sales pitch is also the fact it weathervanes if you want when you stop
the boat.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 8, 7:49 pm, Ringmaster wrote:
Been around for 6 years or more. Idea is no tacking of jib and as the
photo shows easy to do wing on wing downwind. I think part of the
sales pitch is also the fact it weathervanes if you want when you stop
the boat.

As usual, being ignorant will never stop Sloco from opening his sewer-
like pie hole.

The Aerorig's main idea is simplicity: One sheet controls both sails
and the slot is optimum all the time. It's free standing. There have
been some horror stories about the design sold via Carbospars. One
boat claimed the rig was badly designed on their boat and was tossed.
The boom/mast axis is considerably massive and not very attractive.
They claim a BIG increase in sailing effeciency and I don't doubt that
this rig will maintain it's power with less hassle, but it's just a
bit odd.

http://pws.prserv.net/c-m/ML-fs/100_0031RGB-web.jpg

We have one boat with this rig in the area and the owner is pretty
happy with it. The hull is a Aluminum one that I've seen before, 42'.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 7, 4:23 pm, Fuzzy Logic wrote:
Interesting rigging that I stumbled across looking at this boat:

http://www.luxist.com/2007/09/05/mona-lisa-yacht/

Can't find much about it except for this:

http://www.yachtprojectsetc.com/AeroRig/index.html

Anyone know more about it?

What do you want to know about the boat? Or is it the
rig that interests you?

I have the full specs on the boat at home on a pdf file. I was
impressed with the boat and if I had money to burn and wanted
to sail the arctic where it was cold as heck and I didn't want to
spent much time on deck, I'd say it would be a good choice for
that application. If I had that kind of money to burn I can
think of many other better choices for boats better suited to
warmer waters and performance sailing.

I take it they still haven't sold it? If you look back a few years
on the newsgroup, I posted a link on the boat and there was
a short discussion of the boat. There was a discussion on
Aero Rigs around that time and also farther back it time.

Search this alt.sailing.asa on

"Aero Rig Expedition Yacht"

"New ligher wishbone design for the Aero-Rig"

It is a two stateroom layout, ocean cruiser, that is
easy to sail and Arctic capable. It is Aluminum. Lux
interior--top shelf. It has a small workshops as I recall.

Also, you might want to be cautious about those dual helm
yachts. I find the helm can get sloppy. I prefer a single
wheel.

Oh and it never was listed at over 2 million. The price
has held constant at just under 2 million since I first
saw the boat for sale some years back. I think it might
have been reduce to 1.7M for a while--I can't remember
the details. In any event, the price is pretty steep for
a boat that size with only two cabins and comfortable
for only two couples.

Regarding the Aero Rig. It is a neat setup for a solo
sailor, or older couple that don't want to kill themselves
wrestling sails around in a conventional rig. The
attributes of the rig were well analyzed in previous
discussions.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote in news:1189658426.412665.318710
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

[...]

There is plenty of info on the boat (it's a beauty). It's the first I've
seen of this type of rigging and I would curious to know more about it
especially the claim of 40% more power over conventional rigging. I had
heard there were issues with the manufacturer (Carbospars) as well.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 13, 2:17 pm, Fuzzy Logic wrote:
[...]

I'd like an opportunity to sail one to see how
it performs. It is a sweet boat and would make
a top choice to ride out a storm.

For contrasts sake. Check out this boat. It is a
Contest 41. For around $160k, you get a boat with
a similar layout that will get you wherever you want
to you safely.

http://commercial.boatshed.com/conte...oat-17720.html

or

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ck&searchtype=

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote
Regarding the Aero Rig. It is a neat setup for a solo
sailor, or older couple that don't want to kill themselves
wrestling sails around in a conventional rig.

IMHO there are less unwieldy options... the Chinese lug rig, for
example. Another would be a roller-furl staysail schooner.

Fuzzy Logic wrote:
There is plenty of info on the boat (it's a beauty). It's the first I've
seen of this type of rigging and I would curious to know more about it
especially the claim of 40% more power over conventional rigging. I had
heard there were issues with the manufacturer (Carbospars) as well.

40% more power? That's nonsense, not even wing sails gain that much.
The AeroRig has been around for years and just isn't catching on.... I
assume for some good reasons. If it were even 5% more efficient then
you'd see racing boats winning with them.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Bart wrote

Fuzzy Logic wrote:
There is plenty of info on the boat (it's a beauty).

It's the first I've
seen of this type of rigging and I would curious to know

more about it
especially the claim of 40% more power over conventional

rigging. I had
heard there were issues with the manufacturer

(Carbospars) as well.

40% more power? That's nonsense, not even wing sails gain

that much.
The AeroRig has been around for years and just isn't

catching on.... I
assume for some good reasons. If it were even 5% more

efficient then
you'd see racing boats winning with them.

''especially the claim of 40% more power over conventional
rigging''

by conventional rigging , they must have meant square sails
made of canvas.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If it were even 5% more efficient then
you'd see racing boats winning with them.

It's amazing how people just can't read or comprehend a thing
anymore.
The AeroRig's improved efficiency is about typical cruising situations
where it will maintain better trim than most sailors bother with.
It aint all about racing, you blazingly dumb putz. A powerful rig
means little if you have to mess with it constantly to keep it in a
good groove. The word "forgiving" in sailboat design has a lot to do
with this relative to sustained performance, you brainless dick-headed
baby gorillla.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hahaha... You just remined me why we are gone! Thanks dog.

Barb
s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

On Sep 16, 7:36 pm, wrote:
A lawyer for the BGDL (Baby Gorilla defense league) will be contacting you
shortly.-