posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing Terminology Question

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:36:56 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

"Bart" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is a "Fractulator"?

How is it used?

What types of boats have them?

[1 pt]

The fraculator is a piece of line that passes through a
block attached to the stem fitting. Tie a snap hook on one
end of it. Tie a piece of shock cord to the other end. Run
the shock cord along the toe rail and attach it to a
stanchion. You use the fraculator when you're sailing
offwind. After you drop the genoa, re-feed the head through
the pre-feeder and into the headfoil. Attach the snap hook
to the genoa's head ring or the jib halyard shackle and
tension the jib halyard. Before coming to the leeward mark,
ease the jib halyard 1' and disconnect the fraculator. Using
the fraculator reduces the risk of making last minute
mistakes at the leeward mark.

What's a "stem fitting"?

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:36:56 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

"Bart" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

It's the part of a pipe you stick in your mouth...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 27, 3:31 pm, Bart wrote:
What is a "Fractulator"?

How is it used?

What types of boats have them?

[1 pt]

To late to answer your question, but I forgot a very simple term(brain
fart) and perhaps you can jarr my memory.

What's it called when you beach your boat on a low tide so you can
clean or paint the bottom?

Is it careening?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote:
What is a "Flatulator"?

Dang!

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote
.... Using
the fraculator reduces the risk of making last minute
mistakes at the leeward mark.

Does it prevent the helmsman either too wide and ending up 3
boatlengths to leeward, or too tight and parking? Those are the two
most common mistakes... often made because the helmsman is busy
yelling at the crew..

Horvath wrote:
What's a "stem fitting"?

Kind of like a "seed fitting" only slightly larger diameter.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Horvath wrote:

What's a "stem fitting"?

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

It's the part of a pipe you stick in your mouth...

You're supposed to clean out the stems first.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:25:24 -0700, Joe
wrote:

On Aug 27, 3:31 pm, Bart wrote:
What is a "Fractulator"?

How is it used?

What types of boats have them?

[1 pt]

To late to answer your question, but I forgot a very simple term(brain
fart) and perhaps you can jarr my memory.

What's it called when you beach your boat on a low tide so you can
clean or paint the bottom?

Is it careening?

Joe

yes

I don't think so. Beaching is just beaching if you have a big enough tide
range. You do not beach at low tide, nor, if you are sensible, at high tide.
Leave yourself a margin after high water so you know you will float off on
the next tide.
Careening is when you lay her ashore broadside on and haul her over with a
tackle to a tree or something so as to access the bottom.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 28, 9:25 am, Joe wrote:
On Aug 27, 3:31 pm, Bart wrote:

What is a "Fractulator"?

How is it used?

What types of boats have them?

[1 pt]

To late to answer your question, but I forgot a very simple term(brain
fart) and perhaps you can jarr my memory.

What's it called when you beach your boat on a low tide so you can
clean or paint the bottom?

Is it careening?

Joe

Right. Do it about a week before the highest
tide of the month. That give you time to flip it
over to do the other side, and still float her off.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 28, 5:55 pm, OzOne wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:31:52 -0700, Bart
scribbled thusly:

What is a "Fractulator"?

How is it used?

What types of boats have them?

[1 pt]

I'm not gonna answer that and you know why :-)....

Go ahead Oz, please answer it. No one seems to
know the answer. I would be shocked if you didn't
use them down under, as they seem to work so
well.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is a "Fractulator"?

It is a jury-rigged system to pull the mast foreward when flying the
spinnaker. It's set up using the jib sheets and/or halyard

How is it used?

hook the jib halyard to the jib's tack fitting, and crank in on the halyard.
Moves the masthead foreward. The headstay (or, usually tuff luff) is very
loose and sloppy.

What types of boats have them?

Fractional rigs.....hence the name. It sounds like a name that Paul
Lindenberg might have come up with.

[1 pt]

For each part!

Think of your sailboard's mast.....lean the mast forward ... it goes down
wind... lean it back, it goes up wind... same on a sailboat... yes, it
really, really makes a difference... just for fun, keep the back stay tight
(up-wind style), get the boat going downwind as fast as you can... then ease
the backstay...watch the knot meter jump... get that mast tip farther
forward... speed goes up...

(I get bonus points for this!) (and another couple if Paul Lindenberg really
did coin the term!!!)