Doug Dotson

Default Catamaran terminology (amma?)

Anyone have a clarification on the term "amma" (sp?) referring to what
most folks will call a "pontoon". ie One of the hulls of a catamaran?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

Jeff

Doug Dotson wrote:
Anyone have a clarification on the term "amma" (sp?) referring to what
most folks will call a "pontoon". ie One of the hulls of a catamaran?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

As the owner of a cruising cat for 7 years I often talk to other cat
owners. I have never heard them use the term "ama"; instead, we
always simply refer to the port hull or starboard hull. Trimaran and
proa sailors, however, seem to use the term more frequently.

Personally, I feel that if you can sleep in it, its a hull. If you
can fly it, its an ama. If you do both, I'd be curious where you get
insurance.
Doug Dotson

"Jeff" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
Anyone have a clarification on the term "amma" (sp?) referring to what
most folks will call a "pontoon". ie One of the hulls of a catamaran?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

As the owner of a cruising cat for 7 years I often talk to other cat
owners. I have never heard them use the term "ama"; instead, we always
simply refer to the port hull or starboard hull. Trimaran and proa
sailors, however, seem to use the term more frequently.

Any idea of a reference to find the actual meaning of the term?

Personally, I feel that if you can sleep in it, its a hull. If you can
fly it, its an ama. If you do both, I'd be curious where you get
insurance.

I try to limit my flying to airplanes. Haven't a clue what you mean here?

Jeff

Doug Dotson wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Doug Dotson wrote:

Anyone have a clarification on the term "amma" (sp?) referring to what
most folks will call a "pontoon". ie One of the hulls of a catamaran?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

As the owner of a cruising cat for 7 years I often talk to other cat
owners. I have never heard them use the term "ama"; instead, we always
simply refer to the port hull or starboard hull. Trimaran and proa
sailors, however, seem to use the term more frequently.

Any idea of a reference to find the actual meaning of the term?

This seems as good as any I've seen:
http://www.answers.com/ama
It supports my claim so it must be correct.

Personally, I feel that if you can sleep in it, its a hull. If you can
fly it, its an ama. If you do both, I'd be curious where you get
insurance.

I try to limit my flying to airplanes. Haven't a clue what you mean here?

When the hull or ama is lifted out of the water its is said to be
flying. This is commonly done on beach cat, and is implied by the
geometry of most trimarans. However, when you fly a hull on a
cruising cat you are about to be in serious trouble. Fortunately, its
hardly ever been done.

Doug Dotson

"Jeff" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Doug Dotson wrote:

Anyone have a clarification on the term "amma" (sp?) referring to what
most folks will call a "pontoon". ie One of the hulls of a catamaran?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

As the owner of a cruising cat for 7 years I often talk to other cat
owners. I have never heard them use the term "ama"; instead, we always
simply refer to the port hull or starboard hull. Trimaran and proa
sailors, however, seem to use the term more frequently.

Any idea of a reference to find the actual meaning of the term?

This seems as good as any I've seen:
http://www.answers.com/ama
It supports my claim so it must be correct.

You're funny, but thanks for the info.

Personally, I feel that if you can sleep in it, its a hull. If you can
fly it, its an ama. If you do both, I'd be curious where you get
insurance.

I try to limit my flying to airplanes. Haven't a clue what you mean here?

When the hull or ama is lifted out of the water its is said to be flying.
This is commonly done on beach cat, and is implied by the geometry of most
trimarans. However, when you fly a hull on a cruising cat you are about
to be in serious trouble. Fortunately, its hardly ever been done.

aroostifer

Doug Dotson wrote:

Any idea of a reference to find the actual meaning of the term?

Ama is a polynesian word. See http://www.answers.com/topic/proa.

- Ari