Garland Gray II

Default SSB counterpoise for a catamaran

I'm about to install the SSB ground system in my catamaran. Since I don't
have a lead keel, and my water tank is well above the w/l, seems I might be
needing to lay down a lot of copper strips in the bilge.
The operators manual suggested that a 3" strip separated 3" from an adjacent
3" strip would be equivalent to a 9" strip. Is this the maximum separation
to achieve this phenomonem? If the strips could be 2 feet apart, and still
be effective as a 2+ foot wide strip, that would save a lot of time and
materials. Probably too good to be true though. But if it did wow, maybe I
could lay strips in both hulls, connected together at each end, and have a
monster ground plane.
Since this probably wouldn't work, what is the most efficient way to make
the ground system in a catamaran?

Doug Dotson

Garland,

Recent wisdom in this always controvercial topic is to use foil to
connect the tuner/radio to a through-hull. I have mine wrapped around
a scupper seacock and held with a hose clamp. Works as good as
any installation I have encountered that has extensive foil layed down
including my previous boat. Try this simple approach first, then if it
doesn't work well start laying down foil etc. All boats are different.
What works great on my boat may not work well on yours.
Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
I'm about to install the SSB ground system in my catamaran. Since I don't
have a lead keel, and my water tank is well above the w/l, seems I might

be
needing to lay down a lot of copper strips in the bilge.
The operators manual suggested that a 3" strip separated 3" from an

adjacent
3" strip would be equivalent to a 9" strip. Is this the maximum separation
to achieve this phenomonem? If the strips could be 2 feet apart, and still
be effective as a 2+ foot wide strip, that would save a lot of time and
materials. Probably too good to be true though. But if it did wow, maybe I
could lay strips in both hulls, connected together at each end, and have a
monster ground plane.
Since this probably wouldn't work, what is the most efficient way to make
the ground system in a catamaran?

Len Krauss

A friend with 42' cat uses the aluminum hard bimini framework as
counterpoise and a whip antenna (I think 23') mounted on inner sloped F/G
section alongside transom step (under handrail). Says it works better than
the insul backstay antenna and extensive foil strips he had on previous 40'
cat. If you have such a framework, you might give it a try before laying
foil. I don't think antenna type makes a difference.
--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

" I'm about to install the SSB ground system in my catamaran. Since I don't
have a lead keel, and my water tank is well above the w/l, seems I might

be
needing to lay down a lot of copper strips in the bilge.
The operators manual suggested that a 3" strip separated 3" from an

adjacent
3" strip would be equivalent to a 9" strip. Is this the maximum separation
to achieve this phenomonem? If the strips could be 2 feet apart, and still
be effective as a 2+ foot wide strip, that would save a lot of time and
materials. Probably too good to be true though. But if it did wow, maybe I
could lay strips in both hulls, connected together at each end, and have a
monster ground plane.
Since this probably wouldn't work, what is the most efficient way to make
the ground system in a catamaran?

Peter Kennedy

I did it recently using roofing copper. I bought a 2 ft wide piece about 6
ft long and stuck it down in what was normally an inaccessible part of the
bilge using 5200 for adhesive. I used the 2" wide strip also to connect
from the receiver to the tuner and join to the copper sheet along the way.

Peter Kennedy Yacht Services
Marine Electrical Systems
http://www.pkys.com

[...]

Garland Gray II

Doug,
I've just started looking at this newsgroup, and had seen your mentioning
this in an older thread. Knowing you had a keelboat, I assumed you had also
tied in to your keel, but since not, maybe that is all I will need to do.

Before I start, I want to have a clear plan of what/where to add if I find
I need to.

Thanks for the info.

Garland

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
[...]

Garland Gray II

Len,
I do have an aluminum bimini frame so perhaps that is something to consider.
I might have trouble connecting to it w/ foil though.
Thanks.
Garland

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Dotson

Garland,

Unfortunately on my current boat the keel is internal so it has no
keel bolts. I did have my counterpoise tied to a keel bolt on my
previous boat. Every now and then I have to remove the hose
clamp, clean the seacock and foil and put them back together.
I'm thinking of installing a Dynaplate just for the counterpoise
to make the installation cleaner.

[...]

Garland Gray II

Peter,
Reading that 100 sq ft were recommended gave me pause; apparently not that
much is always necessary, but my bilge is broken up by numerous bulkheads or
ribs, which makes this difficult.
Thanks.
Garland
"Peter Kennedy" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Dotson

I know some that have used their lifelines with good results. I also have
at 23' fiberglass whip rather than an insulated backstay. It seems to work
as well as a backstay.

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
[...]

Dennis Gibbons

Doug
My Nic 35 has internal ballast also. I drilled into the lead and tapped a
bronze rod into it and attached the foil to that. great counterpoise

--
Dennis Gibbons
S/V Dark Lady