Glenn Ashmore

Default Fuel tanks and SSB counterpoise.

In the process of laying up the hull I incorporated a couple hundred sq.
ft of bronze bug screen to serve as a counterpoise. In addition two
runs of 2" copper foil run down the center of the hull to the keel area.
Capacitors between the foil and the keel bolts isolate any DC from
getting back into the counterpoise. That is probably enough but as I am
installing two aluminum tanks, I wonder how kosher it would be to tie
them into the counterpoise with more capacitors.

It would add another 14 sq ft of coupling area but would it be
introducing other problems?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

john s.

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:JRxob.119973$sp2.25191@lakeread04...
In the process of laying up the hull I incorporated a couple hundred sq.
ft of bronze bug screen to serve as a counterpoise. In addition two
runs of 2" copper foil run down the center of the hull to the keel area.
Capacitors between the foil and the keel bolts isolate any DC from
getting back into the counterpoise. That is probably enough but as I am
installing two aluminum tanks, I wonder how kosher it would be to tie
them into the counterpoise with more capacitors.

It would add another 14 sq ft of coupling area but would it be
introducing other problems?

Glenn, I think you are overdoing it....I just have a copper strap from
the ground of the antenna tuner to one keel bolt (external lead keel)
and when I tested the syste,after installation (in New York), I got a
55 report from a ham in NW Spain. The only time Herb (Southbound II)
did not hear me loud and clear was because my copper strrap had become
corroded/
john N2ZOA/MM
Dennis Gibbons

I concur. I have internal ballast, so I drilled in and tapped in a bronze
bolt to attach the foil. I had no problems on the most recent Marion to
Bermuda Race.

--
Dennis Gibbons
S/V Dark Lady
"john s." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bruce Gordon

In article ,
(john s.) wrote:

[...]

Getting one or two reports of "5 by 5" doesn't mean anything other than
the band was open, on that frequency, at that time. Years ago this type
of reporting was used to sell SSB Radio's all the time. When just
finishing up an install, the tech would call KMI, WOO, or WOM on 12 Megs
(or whatever band was open at thte time) and get a "Radio Check" for the
customer. The band was open and a .5 watt radio connected to a "Wet
Noodle" would do as well. BIG SCAM, means nothing.

What one really needs is a REAL, across the bands Field Insensity
Reading, and Grounding Network Impedance vs Frequency Plot. These are
not as important for a Metal Hulled Vessel as the grounding system is
usually the hull and is mostly suffienct in and of itself. On wood or
plastic hulls where RF Grounding is usually the limiting factor on
antenna efficency, it is the RF Ground that is Most Impartant, and
the lower the frequency the more ground it takes to support the antenna
system.

Bruce in alaska

--
Bruce (semiretired powderman & exFCC Field Inspector for Southeastern Alaska)
add a 2 before @
maxlynn

Okay, here's another question on antenna configuration. I have just gone
through the pricing out of backstay insulators, and received the suggestion
that a good, less expensive alternative would be to substitute a Kevlar
backstay for the rod that I have presently, and wind a piece bare of wire
around the Kevlar, up to near the masthead as an antenna. It is
significantly less expensive, and the Kevlar has the advantage of being
stronger and lighter than the wire.

Anyone know of any disadvantages to this approach??

"john s." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tom Dacon

This doesn't address your antenna question specifically, but I have to say
that the idea of replacing a stainless wire backstay with rope just creeps
me out. Sure Kevlar, in the appropriate size, could be stronger and still
lighter than the wire, but its long-term durability raises some significant
questions. The lifetime of stainless steel 1x19 and rod is well understood,
as is the response to shock loading; I doubt that the same could be said for
Kevlar. Your backstay's a pretty important rigging component - I wouldn't be
inclined to screw around with it. You might also consider the long-term cost
of more frequent replacement of the Kevlar, versus the cost of the wire and
insulators for about a twenty-year lifetime expectancy of the SS wire and
insulator combination.

I'm not against Kevlar in standing rigging per se, although I'd be inclined
to use it in a "supporting role", so to speak. In fact, I'm thinking of
replacing my 7x19 SS wire running backstays on my 41' 3/4-rigged sloop with
Kevlar the next time I re-rig, not so much to save weight as to keep down
the chafing on my spreaders when the running backstays are housed at the
after shrouds. I just wouldn't use in in a single-point-of-failure
application such as the backstay.

Tom Dacon

"maxlynn" wrote in message
Okay, here's another question on antenna configuration. I have just gone
through the pricing out of backstay insulators, and received the

suggestion
that a good, less expensive alternative would be to substitute a Kevlar
backstay for the rod that I have presently, and wind a piece bare of wire
around the Kevlar, up to near the masthead as an antenna. It is
significantly less expensive, and the Kevlar has the advantage of being
stronger and lighter than the wire.

Anyone know of any disadvantages to this approach??

"john s." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Glenn Ashmore

Composite stays are the big thing with multihull sailors but when I
checked it out for monohulls it seems that stretch will be a problem.
High tech line seems to be strong enough but it evidently still
stretches more than stainless wire.

Tom Dacon wrote:

[...]

maxlynn

Okay, now that you have given your opinion on Kevlar as a backstay, how
about addressing the original question - i.e., is there any conceptual
problem with wrapping a bare copper wire around it and using it for an
antenna? Has anyone done this?

And, oh by the way, how would you feel about using Kevlar as a substitute
for 1x19 in steering cables? Would it shock you to know that many boats are
using Kevlar in this highly critical application? And have been doing it
successfully for over ten years now? Use as a backstay is pretty mundane
by comparison. And others have been using it for a similar period as
backstay material. And contrary to what you suggest, the lifetime and other
properties of Kevlar are well understood.

"maxlynn" wrote in message
Okay, here's another question on antenna configuration. I have just

gone
through the pricing out of backstay insulators, and received the

suggestion
that a good, less expensive alternative would be to substitute a Kevlar
backstay for the rod that I have presently, and wind a piece bare of

wire
around the Kevlar, up to near the masthead as an antenna. It is
significantly less expensive, and the Kevlar has the advantage of being
stronger and lighter than the wire.

Anyone know of any disadvantages to this approach??

"john s." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Glenn Ashmore

More elegant would be to use a single braid Vectran. It would take some
patience but you could feed the wire up through the core. I still see
several potential problems.

The first is the termination. Arimids and other high tech lines like
PBO require equal tension on all fibers to maintain rated strength.
Small eye splices will cut strength considerably. Special terminations
that pot the fibers inside a hollow steel fitting are available but cost
more than an insulator and must be factory installed.

The second is stretch. No matter how high the modulus of the fiber,
braided line will creep. The Kevlar 49 stays on boats like the Volvo
Ocean 70's is parallel fiber inside a polyethylene cover. A backstay
cost as much as a pretty decent crosscut mainsail.

BTW, composite steering cables are rarely Kevlar. With the exception of
Technora, arimid fibers have a tendency to chafe against each other when
the line is routinely flexed under tension as around steering sheaves.
Vectran and Technora are the preferred fibers for that application.

maxlynn wrote:

Okay, now that you have given your opinion on Kevlar as a backstay, how
about addressing the original question - i.e., is there any conceptual
problem with wrapping a bare copper wire around it and using it for an
antenna? Has anyone done this?

And, oh by the way, how would you feel about using Kevlar as a substitute
for 1x19 in steering cables? Would it shock you to know that many boats are
using Kevlar in this highly critical application? And have been doing it
successfully for over ten years now? Use as a backstay is pretty mundane
by comparison. And others have been using it for a similar period as
backstay material. And contrary to what you suggest, the lifetime and other
properties of Kevlar are well understood.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Tom Dacon

"maxlynn" wrote in message
Okay, now that you have given your opinion on Kevlar as a backstay, how
about addressing the original question - i.e., is there any conceptual
problem with wrapping a bare copper wire around it and using it for an
antenna? Has anyone done this?

The original question (Glenn's), has to do with extending the SSB foil
lattice to the fuel tanks. In response to that, the consensus of the sources
I've referenced for my SSB ground system is that running the foil to the
tops of the tanks is a good thing to do. I've done this on my tanks, and
merely laid the foil on top of the tank surface with an adhesive bonding
agent (it was probably Sikaflex). I don't believe there's any need for an
electrical bond, since induction should do the job nicely.

Tom Dacon