posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default innie vs. outie?

"Terry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
The innie and the outie are the same knot. If you consider that in
the photo, you cannot see where the three ends which go off screen are
connected.

One is free, one is bent up, one is bent down. Bent means connected
in topology. That is the only difference between the two shown.

Now consider whether you like them face up or face down, left or right
handed, clockwise around the tree or counterclockwise, all the same.

Nice thing about the bowline is it can be used any way.

The only nicer knot is a commissionaire, or crochet chain. It can
easily be done with one hand and a belay.

Terry K

Huh? I'm talking about the bitter ends not the bight. One is on the inside
(innie) one is on the outside (outie). There's only one end that counts on a
bowline.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 25, 6:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Which do you prefer? and for what?

http://www.sailnow.com/gifs/innie-outie.jpg

--
"j" ganz

Innie are the only real bowlines.

Ok, then what are the other ones called or used for?

The Innie is the "standard" bowline but the Outie was preferred by the
Dutch and Norwegian navies, and is called the "Dutch Bowline." It is
also called the "cowboy bowline." Ashley and others claim its weaker,
and therefore call it a "false bowline," but tests don't show much of a
difference.

There are some claims that the standard bowline can get untied if the
free end bounces against whatever the bight is tied around, such as a
post. Since a fairly long tail is needed to prevent this, this may be
the reason the Dutch form is preferred sometimes.

I've always used the standard, but a few days ago my lazy jib sheet fell
off, so perhaps I'll shift to the Dutch.

Off in the morning for a sail to P'town.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...
On Aug 25, 6:14 pm, "Capt. JG"

wrote:
[...]

it fell off?

Off in the morning for a sail to P'town.

Fair winds.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 25, 6:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that explanation. I thought the outies were tied by
left-handed people.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
I've always used the standard, but a few days ago my lazy

jib sheet fell
off, so perhaps I'll shift to the Dutch.

it fell off?

Yup. It was the first time the jib was used in a strong breeze after I
had put it back on (it was off for some stitching) so maybe I did a bad
job of tying. There's no way I would have mis-tied, but I might not
have tightened it sufficiently. Also, the dog had been playing with the
sheets, so maybe she somehow untied it!

Off in the morning for a sail to P'town.

Fair winds.

Thanks. After a month in Maine I'm looking forward to no fog!