posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Rob's friends sail cut

Joe wrote:

For Pete's sake, if it bothers you so much you can always drop the
lifelines down to the base of the bow pulpit..many people do that...we
have chafe guards on our lines..little round whellie things that the
sail rides over to keep it from chafing...our sail is a deck
sweeper...having it cut up over the top of the lifelines would mean an
incredible loss of sail area...so it's a tad unsightly, so what? Beats
losing speed...- Hide quoted text -

Drop the life lines forward?

They're still there.. they just run at a slant from the first set of
stanchions to the bottom of the bow pulpit...they are still functional...
Do they toss the lifejackets and liferaft
over too?

You got the wrong picture in your mind...

Why not go with a bigger % forward sail to make up for the loss.

We have a 140....don't have any use for anything larger than that...we
have a light displacement boat and do not sail on head sail
alone..that's not the way our boat is balanced...

Tad unsightly, so what? What is that the crunched up sail is not going
to have a good flow at the foot as Doug claims.

It's not crunched up...it's just a bit crooked....

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

[...]

It should never be crunched up or crooked. The foot should run fair.
Have a look at how a real sailor does it.
http://captneal.homestead.com/Thumbsup.html Pay particular attention to
the "close-hauled" picture. Note how the sail sweeps the foredeck and
how the lifelines angle down to the base of the pulpit so there is no
interaction with the sail.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
I would think a properly shaped sail on all points would be the best
all around.

Depends on what you mean by "best."

Best all around Doug. Is that too hard a concept for you to envision?

Oh sure, no prob.
Like, it's very easy to have a car that's the "best all around" the
fastest, most powerful, best gas mileage, most comfortable... it's so
easy, people who don't have cars like that must be friggin' stupid....

Best means the best shape, and best care, and best preformance. Are
you telling me a crunched up sail dragging the lifelines has good flow
around the foot?

Better than one that is cut 2' above the deck. Plus more sail area.

If you are happy with a sail crunched up over a hand rail and or
lifelines feel free to partake. Oh I forgot...you do not have a
sailboat do you?

Not at the moment. However I have owned more different kinds of boats
than you've sailed in your life, and sailed more than you've ever
heard of. Currently I am out cruising... and you?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 21, 12:43 pm, wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Training crew every Thursday night now. Will be voyaging before years
end. Open deep water...and you?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Training crew every Thursday night now.

To do what?

Will be voyaging before years
end.

OK, in that case you'll be a year behind us.

Open deep water...and you?

Having a great time, thanks.

Sailing across oceans is boring, 99.999% of the time... unless you're
racing... and the exciting bit is usually due more to bad planning and
poor preparation than anything else. However, if you feel the need to
brag about sailing across oceans, go ahead. Oh wait, you haven't done
it yet... well I have, and am more interested in playing around the
edges.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 21, 12:35 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Joe wrote:

[...]

Nice Solar panels! Well done.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 20, 9:55 am, Joe wrote:
Would it not have been smarter to cut the sail where it clears the
rails?

I see this all the time, sail all crunched up on the rails. IIRC even
Robs head sail is cut this way.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week1.jpg

Even looks bad. Somethings got to go..

Joe

You just need to send someone forward to skirt the
sail for you.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hey, Joe.

Doug's tone in this group has become decidedly bitter. Don't take
offence at it. Consider that you have what he doesn't: A woman who's
willing to SAIL with him. Doug's wife forced him into a POWERBOAT and
that's a fact. His comment about boring ocean sailing is hilarious.
While I certainly would make no claims about such endeavours, I do
know people who do it all the time. In fact the white haired fellow in
one of my vids does crossings every other year. He does it for the
love of sailing and the sea. I guess if it bored him he'd buy a
powerboat or let his lady lay out the terms of his sailing life for
him.
Sails do take some abuse at the bow and my gals are quick to run up
and free a sail hung on the line. A higher cut just gives up too much
for these types of boats. My new deck sweeping triradial will be here
in a day or two and it will behave the same way, though at 155% I
really bought it for light air reaching.
Trust me. All this talk about sailing rubs Doug the wrong way and it
shows with every one of his arrogant posts.

Cheers,

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 21, 2:02 pm, wrote:
Joe wrote:
Training crew every Thursday night now.

To do what?

Sail and stuff.

Will be voyaging before years
end.

OK, in that case you'll be a year behind us.

Open deep water...and you?

Having a great time, thanks.

Sailing across oceans is boring, 99.999% of the time... unless you're
racing... and the exciting bit is usually due more to bad planning and
poor preparation than anything else. However, if you feel the need to
brag about sailing across oceans, go ahead. Oh wait, you haven't done
it yet... well I have, and am more interested in playing around the
edges.

DSK

Been across the atlantic, pacific, indian, south china, north sea,glf
ect..ect..
Beats the ditch any day.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
On Aug 21, 2:02 pm, wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

He isn't in the ditch....

Rob's Real Fun Run Joe ASA 2 June 1st 07 05:41 AM
Rob's life in pictures Joe ASA 11 May 17th 07 04:24 AM
Capt Rob's Quandry silverback ASA 0 June 16th 06 02:25 AM
Rob's Zombies LLoyd Bonafide ASA 3 April 24th 06 05:30 PM