posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Rob's friends sail cut

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Would it not have been smarter to cut the sail where it clears the
rails?

I see this all the time, sail all crunched up on the rails. IIRC even
Robs head sail is cut this way.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week1.jpg

Even looks bad. Somethings got to go..

Joe

It's an issue a lot. Even on the small lake, the slightly faster boat (the
boats are identical except for lifelines) is the one without the lifelines -
better sail shape. It's typically a very light-wind lake. I see this on the
bay a lot also, although the sails people fly are typically smaller (there's
always some fool running a 130 up wind - well trying).

When I first converted from a hank-on jib to a furler, I was thinking about
getting a 130 with luff tape, but then discovered I had a furler-ready jib
(actually, the previous owner gave it to me). It needed minor modification
to fit the new luff length. He hadn't used it, since the furler he had broke
soon after he bought the boat and he didn't have the cash to replace it, so
he used the hanked sail. The furling sail I now use has a very high foot,
which isn't super great for downwind in light air, but when the heck to we
every get light air out here?! (and I have a drifter just in case). It's
perfect, however, for 20-30 kts air without reefing it. I have three reef
points in my main, so that isn't an issue either, although the third one
doesn't have the lines led.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com