posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Catamarans have something extra....

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:05:01 -0000, otnmbrd
wrote:

wrote in news:qaupc3h03p9djjkjr2fidcn3tmfhs02em2@
4ax.com:

Where you folks get your versions of ship's crew is beyond me.

In my case, pure guesswork. I can see getting by without the lookout
and/or the helmsman. The Captain is stuck with all the paperwork.
And that has to be damn near full time? Or is it? Could be a lot less
of that than there used to be, if it is now mostly done on shore.

So, you got in your sneer, now tell us the true facts.

Plenty of "breakbulk" still running...

You see them on the webcam at the canal.

Casady
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Some ships are using one man bridge watches but generally you'll find a
Mate and one helmsman/lookout...average crew size is 21 and decreasing,
with lowest I've seen being certified for six.
Paperwork has become the biggest problem for all...depending on the ship
the Mate may be or may not be allowed to do paperwork on the
bridge.....too much of the paperework is just to justify the existence of
the various regulators and company pencil pushers who are too lazy to dig
through to find the info on their own BEG.
As for getting a yacht from Bangkok to West Coast US..... hardest part
would be getting it to Japan or Korea for a carcarrier. Point being that
there are alternate methods to container ships, but as was stated end
result may not justify expense

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

wrote:

wrote in news:qaupc3h03p9djjkjr2fidcn3tmfhs02em2@
4ax.com:

Where you folks get your versions of ship's crew is beyond me.

In my case, pure guesswork. I can see getting by without the lookout
and/or the helmsman. The Captain is stuck with all the paperwork.
And that has to be damn near full time? Or is it? Could be a lot less
of that than there used to be, if it is now mostly done on shore.

So, you got in your sneer, now tell us the true facts.

Plenty of "breakbulk" still running...

You see them on the webcam at the canal.

Casady

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:40:14 -0000, otnmbrd
wrote:

Some ships are using one man bridge watches but generally you'll find a
Mate and one helmsman/lookout...average crew size is 21 and decreasing,
with lowest I've seen being certified for six.
Paperwork has become the biggest problem for all...depending on the ship
the Mate may be or may not be allowed to do paperwork on the
bridge.....too much of the paperework is just to justify the existence of
the various regulators and company pencil pushers who are too lazy to dig
through to find the info on their own BEG.
As for getting a yacht from Bangkok to West Coast US..... hardest part
would be getting it to Japan or Korea for a carcarrier. Point being that
there are alternate methods to container ships, but as was stated end
result may not justify expense

The "hardest part" was getting the damned boat to America at a price
less then the sales price. We could have shipped it many ways - sail
to Singapore and put it on a container boat there; barge it somewhere.
The problem was that everything we looked into, and we did have
professional freight people working on the problem, cost too much
money. The owner even looked into sailing it back.

The problem got solved when another bloke came along and offered to
buy it. The owner e-mailed the U.S. bidder and told him what the costs
were and he withdrew his offer immediately. Which left the door open
to selling it locally.

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

wrote:

wrote in news:qaupc3h03p9djjkjr2fidcn3tmfhs02em2@
4ax.com:

Where you folks get your versions of ship's crew is beyond me.

In my case, pure guesswork. I can see getting by without the lookout
and/or the helmsman. The Captain is stuck with all the paperwork.
And that has to be damn near full time? Or is it? Could be a lot less
of that than there used to be, if it is now mostly done on shore.

So, you got in your sneer, now tell us the true facts.

Plenty of "breakbulk" still running...

You see them on the webcam at the canal.

Casady

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Catamarans have something extra.... Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 106 August 27th 07 04:11 PM
Anyone Need Extra $$$$$ Rick General 0 May 2nd 07 10:28 PM
Wharram Catamarans Tsunamichaser ASA 0 October 10th 06 06:09 AM
Catamarans ? Bart Senior ASA 1 March 3rd 05 12:31 AM
want some extra cash, try this [email protected] Cruising 0 January 1st 05 04:42 PM