posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Wind alone capsizes catamaran

http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive38.htm

"For the past fifteen years, I have listened to sailors tell me how
dangerous it is to sail the seven seas in a catamaran. They point out
that in a storm, the catamaran may flip over. They are right."'

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default 170 MPH Wind alone capsizes catamaran

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/15/2007 3:51 PM:
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive38.htm

"For the past fifteen years, I have listened to sailors tell me how
dangerous it is to sail the seven seas in a catamaran. They point out
that in a storm, the catamaran may flip over. They are right."'

Thanks for the link. You realize, of course, that this is the owner
of a sister-ship showing that even though the cat flipped in 170 MPH
wind, it sustained relatively little damage and would have protected
anyone on board.

This was during Hurricane Ivan's strike of Grenada, the worst in the
area in modern history. Hundreds of monohulls were sunk during this
disaster.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:25:42 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/15/2007 3:51 PM:
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive38.htm

"For the past fifteen years, I have listened to sailors tell me how
dangerous it is to sail the seven seas in a catamaran. They point out
that in a storm, the catamaran may flip over. They are right."'

Thanks for the link. You realize, of course, that this is the owner
of a sister-ship showing that even though the cat flipped in 170 MPH
wind, it sustained relatively little damage and would have protected
anyone on board.

This was during Hurricane Ivan's strike of Grenada, the worst in the
area in modern history. Hundreds of monohulls were sunk during this
disaster.

It is interesting to speculate on the fact that this boat was anchored
and heading into the wind. What would have been the result if the boat
had been at sea, hove to? Logically the wind wold not have been from
dead ahead but from a forward quarter. I winder whether it would have
flipped in those circumstances?

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/15/2007 3:51 PM:
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive38.htm

"For the past fifteen years, I have listened to sailors tell me how
dangerous it is to sail the seven seas in a catamaran. They point
out that in a storm, the catamaran may flip over. They are right."'

Thanks for the link. You realize, of course, that this is the owner
of a sister-ship showing that even though the cat flipped in 170 MPH
wind, it sustained relatively little damage and would have protected
anyone on board.

This was during Hurricane Ivan's strike of Grenada, the worst in the
area in modern history. Hundreds of monohulls were sunk during this
disaster.

Couldn't you stand reading a header that was true so you had to change
it? Bwahahhahahahah. You argue funny - sort of an apples and oranges
approach. So what if many monohulls were sunk? That doesn't mean they
got blown up into the air like a glider and spun around in circles at
the end of the rode ending up belly up like that catamaran did.

That sort of behavior in a cruising boat is simply unacceptable. One can
expect it of an inflatable dinghy in a storm but the mother ship should
be immune to that sort of thing.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
[...]

The answer is "Yes!"

You'd have wind and wave working against it. It wouldn't stand a
snowball's chance in hell of staying upright. The sad thing is what if
you had it on a large sea anchor from the bows? As soon as it topped a
large wave the wind gets under it, lift it up into the air, flip it over
and dump it into the water upside-down.

You seem more sensible than many here and have a heavy, slow boat and a
store of experience (if not knowledge) so answer honestly. Would you be
comfortable in such an unstable catamaran boat in a storm at sea? I know
I'd sell my soul for a deep keel, heavy, Colin Archer design in it's
stead at least until the storm blew itself out.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wind alone capsizes catamaran Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 4 August 17th 07 09:23 PM
82.5 ton catamaran Bart ASA 2 October 19th 06 09:09 PM
catamaran [email protected] ASA 6 February 3rd 05 11:43 PM
Building my own catamaran Francois Cloutier Boat Building 1 December 10th 04 07:30 PM
FS: Atlantic 42 catamaran Kelly Wright Cruising 4 January 24th 04 11:48 PM