posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default 170 MPH Wind alone capsizes catamaran

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:25:42 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 8/15/2007 3:51 PM:
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive38.htm

"For the past fifteen years, I have listened to sailors tell me how
dangerous it is to sail the seven seas in a catamaran. They point out
that in a storm, the catamaran may flip over. They are right."'

Thanks for the link. You realize, of course, that this is the owner
of a sister-ship showing that even though the cat flipped in 170 MPH
wind, it sustained relatively little damage and would have protected
anyone on board.

This was during Hurricane Ivan's strike of Grenada, the worst in the
area in modern history. Hundreds of monohulls were sunk during this
disaster.

It is interesting to speculate on the fact that this boat was anchored
and heading into the wind. What would have been the result if the boat
had been at sea, hove to? Logically the wind wold not have been from
dead ahead but from a forward quarter. I winder whether it would have
flipped in those circumstances?

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)