posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default mylar/kevlar sails

If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?
Is it a cost effective conversion?

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing.boats,uk.rec.sailing

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

SusanWilliams wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Some sails are made of Mylar with Kevlar threads in the laminate.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

Mylar and Kevlar don't like being creased, which I think would be pretty
well inevitable in a roller system.

Andy
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 11:35:28 -0400, "SusanWilliams"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

Simply put, a boat that I have interest in has a Mylar/Kevlar 155. I
do not intend to race and I anticipate a lot of single handed,
relatively short cruises. While I have always had hank on in the past,
I think roller furling would probably be appropriate for that intended
use. While single handing, I would like to stay off the foredeck as
much as possible.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

Why indeed. I'll probably pass on it.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 5, 11:17 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Mylar is the base the other materials are built on.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?
Is it a cost effective conversion?

Yes. You might have to shorten the sail. Usually this
is done at the top. Any sail maker can sew on a luff
tape. How well would it hold up? You would need some
sun protection. I'd think it would not be a problem to
roll up a sail. Folding is what you want to avoid.

If you trash the sail, you can always get a new dacron
sail. You would be happier with that than a fancy
sail that is meant for racing. Another option might be
to sell the sail and buy a Dacron sail right off the bat.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing.boats,uk.rec.sailing

If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Often the scrim at the base of the material is the Kevlar, Spectra, etc.
The Mylar is usually the film that is laminated either side of the scrim.
Often (On sails made for other purposes than racing) there is a taffeta
layer applied to one or both sides of this sail, producing an up-to 5-layer
sail more often used for cruising, ('Cruising laminate' sail) but able to be
handles with less care than a pure racing sail. (3 layers = 'racing
laminate' sail) Pentex is actually Dacron scrim with the Mylar laminate.

The tapes aren't always Kevlar and are often glued, these days.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit
in a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar
sail is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind
conditions. Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

Yes. My older genoa was once a roller-reefing sail, but after a small
accident with the furling gear I had it converted to hanked on. Conversion
cost me about £80.00 at a local sailmaker. I must agree about the cut being
different, though.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

Why not make a good sail available for use when it previously couldn't be
used?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

"SusanWilliams" wrote
Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Or bonded into the laminate.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

That can be achieved pretty easily by taking out some of the luff
round

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Simply put, a boat that I have interest in has a Mylar/Kevlar 155. I
do not intend to race and I anticipate a lot of single handed,
relatively short cruises. While I have always had hank on in the past,
I think roller furling would probably be appropriate for that intended
use. While single handing, I would like to stay off the foredeck as
much as possible.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

Why indeed. I'll probably pass on it.

Not necessarily a reason to pass on the boat, unless it is marginal
choice for several other reasons. It's not expensive to put on a luff
tape, should be a couple hundred bucks.... or you could do it yourself
(the best way to make sure it's done right IMHO)

Another issue is what roller-furling a mylar/kevlar would do to the
longevity... not really a good idea, but the sail should still be good
for at least a couple of seasons if it's otherwise well cared for. A
number of one-designs with roller furlers use mylar & laminate jibs
and go that long.

Interesting thread, thanks for bringing in some new group
participants!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Carbon -Kevlar JSB General 3 October 17th 06 10:11 PM
Kevlar tape? Eiron UK Paddle 2 October 12th 06 02:48 PM
We-no-nah kevlar 49 canoe Lynn Tegrity General 3 August 27th 06 03:34 PM
Sails and more Sails--Andrew Andrew Scott ASA 2 October 18th 05 01:48 AM
Mylar Sails, Worth the cost? The Carrolls ASA 44 December 4th 03 11:43 AM