posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default mylar/kevlar sails

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 11:35:28 -0400, "SusanWilliams"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
If a sail is listed as Mylar/Kevlar is it a composite of both
materials?

Yes. Usually Dacron with a mylar sheet laminated to it for the panels.
Kevlar tapes are sewn along the stress areas.

Can a sail of that type be converted from hank on to roller furling?

I don't see why not. Mylar/Kevlar sails are made with luff tapes to fit in
a foil on the headstay. Why would you bother, though? A Mylar/Kevlar sail
is cut for performance with a roach for the prevailing wind conditions.
Roller sails have to be cut much flatter.

Simply put, a boat that I have interest in has a Mylar/Kevlar 155. I
do not intend to race and I anticipate a lot of single handed,
relatively short cruises. While I have always had hank on in the past,
I think roller furling would probably be appropriate for that intended
use. While single handing, I would like to stay off the foredeck as
much as possible.

Is it a cost effective conversion?

Probably not. Why ruin a good sail?

Why indeed. I'll probably pass on it.