posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Enviromentally friendly soaps

Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering soaps?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 29, 12:13 pm, "Scout" wrote:
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering soaps?

Could you define your criteria for river and bay friendly?

One guy mixes his organic soap using a bicycle, reducing greenhouse
emissions...the soap might kill the fish, but it could be considered
friendly to the rivers and bays...in a round about way.

If you are talking about gray water discharge go with Dawn dish
soap..that's what they scrub oil off birds with. Ivory soap for
yourself.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering
soaps?

Can't help you. Never use the stuff . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote:
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering soaps?

*NOT* any of the anti-bacterial soaps.

In fact, don't use these at home either. They don't kill pathogens,
but they do kill all the beneficial micro-organisms that we depend on
to break down all the stuff in waste water.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Scout" wrote:
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering
soaps?

*NOT* any of the anti-bacterial soaps.

In fact, don't use these at home either. They don't kill pathogens,
but they do kill all the beneficial micro-organisms that we depend on
to break down all the stuff in waste water.

DSK

They certainly shouldn't be used on boats... kills the good bacteria in the
holding tank.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
"Scout" wrote:
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering
soaps?

*NOT* any of the anti-bacterial soaps.

In fact, don't use these at home either. They don't kill pathogens,
but they do kill all the beneficial micro-organisms that we depend on
to break down all the stuff in waste water.

DSK

They certainly shouldn't be used on boats... kills the good bacteria in
the holding tank.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thanks Doug and JG,
JG - I don't have a gray tank. My sink and showers dump directly without a
tank option. I guess I could go the route of Neal and not use soap but there
are times when it would be a bene. Someone in an RV group recommended this
product:
http://www.vermontsoap.com/press/press7.html

Doug, I hear you on the anti-bacterial soaps.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote:
Thanks Doug and JG,
JG - I don't have a gray tank. My sink and showers dump directly without a
tank option. I guess I could go the route of Neal and not use soap but there
are times when it would be a bene. Someone in an RV group recommended this
product:http://www.vermontsoap.com/press/press7.html

Doug, I hear you on the anti-bacterial soaps.

Looks like good stuff... I wonder how spendy it is?
We'd need a LOT of those 4oz bottles to last a year's cruise
though

We use Simple Green, diluted 10:1, for most cleaning on the boat. I
don't think it's good for the skin though.

Joy detergent has the ability to lather in salt water, don't know how
"enviro-friendly" it is.

Our boat doesn't have a gray water tank, but it does have a sump for
the tub & sinks; about 3 ~4 gallons capacity. So we can't 'hold' gray
water but we can delay discharge if we're in a place we don't want to
leave a bathtub ring.... like for example, at a raft-up where people
are swimming....
http://bp0.blogger.com/_vSPuZnhalQw/...h/P1060442.JPG

If one is worried about bacteria, peroxide & vinegar (use one, then
the other) kill germs including staff (which the "bacteriacide" soaps
don't) and they are much less destructive to boat surfaces, skin, and
the environment.

Everything biodegrades if you wait long enough. When something is
labelled "biodegradable" that basically means it is a nutrient. The
question is, for what kind of organism?

Regards
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jul 29, 1:13 pm, "Scout" wrote:
Any suggestions for river-and-bay-friendly dish washing or showering soaps?

Good question and a responsible attitude.
There are alot of misconceptions about biodegradable soaps. People
with good intentions who are using biodegradable camp soap think that
it is good for the environment.

All soaps, unfortunately even biodegradable ones, can contaminate the
water.
Using a biodegradable soap doesn't reduce its immediate environmental
impact... it just means that the soap will biodegrade in time.

What does biodegradable mean? Well by definition it means capable of
being decomposed by biological agents like bacteria. Materials are
usually deemed biodegradable if they break down to at least 90% H2O,
CO2 and biomass within 6 months, although some materials may take
years to biodegrade. Keep in mind that biodegradability doesn't
necessarily mean environmentally friendly.

Biodegradable "camp soap" like what you can buy at Walmart? it is not
easily biodegrable in the water because biodegredation requires soil.

The best you can really do is to be sure that your soaps and
detergents contain no phosphates.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

roger wrote:
On Jul 29, 1:13 pm, "Scout" wrote:

[...]

Simple Green and Ivory....

"Friendly" Killer Whale katysails ASA 5 August 29th 04 02:19 PM
Kayak friendly couriers BigBurd UK Paddle 11 May 2nd 04 05:49 PM
Friendly Fire; Thom Stewart ASA 2 November 21st 03 03:22 AM
Chesapeake Bay Family Friendly Marinas Brad General 1 July 17th 03 01:49 PM