posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Lunch

Dear Group,

I love a good tuna salad sandwich and a cold beer. I make tuna salad
by combining one can of solid albacore with a diced Spanish onion,
diced dill pickle, Mrs. Dash seasoning, white pepper, lemon or lime
juice and mayonnaise. I mix it all up and apply a liberal coating to
freshly baked Bahamian bread and enjoy a meal fit for a king.

Being a live aboard sailor with no refrigeration, I sometimes wonder
about the mayonnaise. I hear people say that one can get terribly ill
by eating non-refrigerated mayonnaise. Perhaps that is an old wives
tale. Why do I say this? Well, as an experiment I took a new 16 oz.
bottle of Deep South Real Mayonnaise, scooped out a couple heaping
tablespoons and used it to make tuna salad. I then put the lid back on
and stowed the bottle back in the settee locker. Six months later, I
used the contents of the same bottle to make another batch of tuna
salad. It had somewhat of a strong taste, but I did not get sick.
From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing experiences.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Captain Cool" wrote in message
[...]

From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing experiences.

Perhaps you should attribute the above to the Good Captain Neal® who is
the original author.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I was told, by a real live-aboard, that if you don't
contaminate the mayo by putting the spoon in the jar a
second time, it will stay good without refrigeration.

SBV

[...]

From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts

almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing

experiences.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I was told, by a real live-aboard, that if you don't
contaminate the mayo by putting the spoon in the jar a
second time, it will stay good without refrigeration.

Ignore Scotty as he never graduated 2nd grade.
The trick is not introduce ANY other foods. So, making tuna, don't use
the fork used to mash the fish to also scoop out the mayo. The mayo
will last a long time if no food particles that WILL SPOIL are
introduced. The best system is to use several small jars of mayo
instead of a large one. That way if it gets contaminated you just move
onto a new jar rather than losing it all.
The sockpuppets are loose!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

[...]

From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing experiences.

Perhaps you should attribute the above to the Good Captain Neal® who is
the original author.

Wilbur Hubbard

Huh? Who's he? Is he a relative of yours?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was told, by a real live-aboard, that if you don't
contaminate the mayo by putting the spoon in the jar a
second time, it will stay good without refrigeration.

Ignore Scotty as he never graduated 2nd grade.

But you made it to half-way through the third?

The trick is not introduce ANY other foods.

Isn't that what Scotty said?

So, making tuna, don't use
the fork used to mash the fish to also scoop out the mayo. The mayo
will last a long time if no food particles that WILL SPOIL are
introduced. The best system is to use several small jars of mayo
instead of a large one. That way if it gets contaminated you just move
onto a new jar rather than losing it all.

That might work, but it costs more, and takes up more storage space.

The sockpuppets are loose!

Did you forget to wash your socks? Or did you just "loose" them behind the
dryer?

RB
35s5

Ugly boat

NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Captain Cool" wrote in message
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

oups.com..
..
I was told, by a real live-aboard, that if you don't
contaminate the mayo by putting the spoon in the jar a
second time, it will stay good without refrigeration.

Ignore Scotty as he never graduated 2nd grade.

But you made it to half-way through the third?

I made it to 8th grade, so what.

The trick is not introduce ANY other foods.

Isn't that what Scotty said?

i thought so, but apparently Martha Brody needed to
elaborate on it.

RB
35s5

Ugly boat

yes, it is.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

[...]

From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost
forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing
experiences.

Perhaps you should attribute the above to the Good Captain Neal® who
is the original author.

Wilbur Hubbard

Huh? Who's he? Is he a relative of yours?

He used to post here. One of the group founders from what I hear the
most inspiring sailor to ever have posted here. Bobsprit is still
trying to live up to his standards but continues to struggle badly. You
can Google what you posted and find the Good Captain posted it way back
in 2002.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...6b6f4793155b74

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Captain Cool" wrote in :

[...]

From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing experiences.

Will mayonnaise make you sick if you leave the picnic potato salad out too
long in this heat?

Dr. Doyle: There's an old wives' tale that mayonnaise being added to
perishable foods will cause food poisoning. That's not true. Acid is added
to mayonnaise to prevent these bad bacteria from growing and producing
illness. However, there are certain types of micorganisms -- such as molds
and other types of bacteria -- that can spoil mayonnaise. [They] don't make
you sick, but they can spoil mayonnaise. So once mayonnaise has been opened,
it's important to refrigerate it so that the spoilage bacteria don't grow
and cause "off flavors."

Source: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5639903

FREE Lunch ! Scott Vernon ASA 11 June 15th 04 11:25 AM
Lunch with... Harry Krause General 25 January 25th 04 07:03 PM
Harry at the lunch counter Skipper General 7 October 4th 03 01:49 AM