posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Lunch

"Captain Cool" wrote in message
Dear Group,

I love a good tuna salad sandwich and a cold beer. I make tuna salad
by combining one can of solid albacore with a diced Spanish onion,
diced dill pickle, Mrs. Dash seasoning, white pepper, lemon or lime
juice and mayonnaise. I mix it all up and apply a liberal coating to
freshly baked Bahamian bread and enjoy a meal fit for a king.

Being a live aboard sailor with no refrigeration, I sometimes wonder
about the mayonnaise. I hear people say that one can get terribly ill
by eating non-refrigerated mayonnaise. Perhaps that is an old wives
tale. Why do I say this? Well, as an experiment I took a new 16 oz.
bottle of Deep South Real Mayonnaise, scooped out a couple heaping
tablespoons and used it to make tuna salad. I then put the lid back
on
and stowed the bottle back in the settee locker. Six months later, I
used the contents of the same bottle to make another batch of tuna
salad. It had somewhat of a strong taste, but I did not get sick.
From this I would conclude that real mayonnaise lasts almost forever.
I would like to hear from anyone with similar or opposing experiences.

Perhaps you should attribute the above to the Good Captain NealŪ who is
the original author.

Wilbur Hubbard