posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Today's Sailing

Well, I see the regular assemblage of goof balls who never sail posted
all day and with the so-called departure of Crantz a sudden smattering
of new sock puppets! Yippee!
Jeff continues to hang his defense on the fact that he takes trips on
his boat while we only go out to enjoy the actual sailing. He's
exactly right. A PDQ 36 is fast and secure and duller than a wooden
spoon to sail.

So today we had a really fun sail on a Santana 30/30. A bit quicker
than a Express 30 or J30, the Santana is light and a shear delight to
sail. This clip shows Suzanne at the helm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpOCSIj2qn0

The little Santana was running down quite a few larger boats and it
was a perfect day for a sail....even if you weren't taking a "trip" of
some kind. Then again there are boats that make sailing fun, and those
that are just floating motorhomes...like a PDQ 36 and most cruising
cats. Next week we'll run the 30/30 against my friend's J30 and see
how they compare
Looks like a bit of local lake sailing tomorrow, and Heart of Gold
should be back sailing mid-week. We're just waiting for the new
folding prop to get here!

Later, web-sailors!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

As of tomorrow, I'm up to 60 days sailing this year Swabbie.

What are you up to six or seven days in a bathtub?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 7/21/2007 11:52 PM:

Jeff continues to hang his defense on the fact that he takes trips on
his boat while we only go out to enjoy the actual sailing.

Defense? What am I defending against? I use my boat. You go out
for an hour or so, bounce off a log or rock, and then spend the next
week on the hard! I do more sailing in a week than you do in the
whole summer!

He's
exactly right. A PDQ 36 is fast and secure and duller than a wooden
spoon to sail.

Sorry booby, a boat doesn't have to heel to be fun. I think doing 12
knots is a lot of fun. I think a 6 hour spinnaker run, ending with
anchoring at a remote island is a lot of fun. I think spending the
whole summer, or even a whole year on board is fun.

If you think spending your whole sailing life within sight of your
slip is fun, that's your prerogative. If you're having fun, then good
for you. The rest of the sailing world races and cruises. Some of us
even do both. Bragging about how fast your boat is when you don't
race is the mark of a loser! Bragging about how comfortable your
boat is when you don't cruise is the mark of a loser!

Poor booby. His jealously weeps from every post he makes.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Defense? What am I defending against?

No one really knows. But everytime I point out what Cruising World
said about cats and what most owners say, you feel the need to defend
your choice. If I was done with sailing various boats and actually
enjoying sailing maybe I'd buy a Cat or Trawler as well.

I use my boat.

If you say so!

You go out
for an hour or so, bounce off a log or rock

Yup, we were bouncing on that Santana all day. When we rafted up in
Little Neck bay we sure had an awful time!

and then spend the next
week on the hard!

Since I've been on the hard I've gone sailing on 5 different boats
(not counting the Rhodes). How many boats did you sail this month...or
this week??!!!!

Sorry booby, a boat doesn't have to heel to be fun.

I bet you looked up foil dynamics by now, since you never mentioned it
again. It IS a real term. Try googling it. You've never owned a true
performance monohul and I doubt you sailed many. If you think 12 knots
downwind is fun on your cat, you should try 10 knots on my 35s5 or
even the thrill of yesterday's Santana run at near 8. But if you
really want to just go 12 knots and "get there" I suggest going Doug's
route!

I think doing 12
knots is a lot of fun.

Dull dull dull. Like doing 12 knots on a trawler. She was DESIGNED to
do it and do it with little fuss. It's no more fun than doing 4 nots
in a Cape Dory Typhoon. Pushing the limits of a J24 is way more fun
and clearly what most true sailors prefer.

I think spending the
whole summer, or even a whole year on board is fun.

We sure don't. I also have a love for the woods, film and astronomy
and even driving. Can't say I'd want to be cooped up on a floating
radiator all summer.

If you think spending your whole sailing life within sight of your
slip is fun, that's your prerogative.

My whole life, Jeff? You keep talking as though you're my equal, Jeff.
You're not. You're old and you're body is tired. I'm 44, twice as
strong as any two people posting here. My years ahead are probably not
fewer than those behind. I have a lifetime of sailing to come and I'll
want to drop dead indeed if I end up doing as little as you. Have you
done an Atlantic crossing? Sailed the Greek islands? We have a lot of
plans and maybe we'll get to most of them. I guess you'll just sit
around and hope we don't that's sad.

The rest of the sailing world races and cruises.

Really? I thought most people just enjoy their boats? What kind of
person is worried so much about how far someone sails with their 35
footer, Jeff? Our longest sail to Port Jeff this summer was the least
fun we had due to some light air. Maybe the ride to Mystic will be
more fun since we're taking 4 boats, but a lot of people love to just
SAIL, Jeff. Part of that is owning a boat that's actually fun to sail.
If you "need" to get somewhere or round a bouy 1st I think you missed
the whole joy of sailing...and now it's too late for you.

Bragging about how fast your boat is when you don't
race is the mark of a loser!

That's hilarious. Who knew you need to race to appreciate the
performance of a boat. Now I'm 100% sure you really don't like to
sail, Jeff. You're a powerboater at best who's caved into the pressure
of a sailing community which is snobbish about powerboats.

Bragging about how comfortable your
boat is when you don't cruise is the mark of a loser!

Oh no! Now this poor toadie says I need to be comfortable for LONG
trips. How dare we be comfortable for only a weekend! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Poor booby. His jealously weeps from every post he makes.

I'm off to the Rhodes 19, Jeff. It's not comfortable and not too fast,
but it sure is fun!
You'll have all day...a beautiful sailing day....to respond while we
sail.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. **** Head" wrote in message

I'll drop dead indeed if I try doing as much as you. Have

you
done an Atlantic crossing? Sailed the Greek islands? We

have a lot of
plans and maybe we'll get to most of them.

Like you ''had plans'' to sail the Round the Island Race, or
your ''Sail to Nowhere'' ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Like you ''had plans'' to sail the Round the Island Race, or
your ''Sail to Nowhere'' ?

Nope. Like our plans to sail to Port Jeff on a night filled ith T-
storms. Or our plans to sail to mystic and meet with our friends
aboard their Pearson 39...nice time that weekend. Or our plans to sail
to NJ and and the JS sailing Alien with friends on their Galaxy
32....or our plans to sail with 4 boats to Oyster Bay and last season
aboard the Tayana to block island. Small trips, small plans. Most of
them happen. The race hasn't because of bad schedules, but we hope to
do it next season. Our trip to nowhere...just sounded dull and no one
wanted to go.
Oh...and Suzanne and I are doing the dive certification in September.

Just got back from some really fun Rhodes 19 sailing. And Scotty
posted again.
Why isn't he sailing on such great days as these?

Hmmmmm?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. **** Head" wrote in message
ps.com...

. Small trips, small plans. small mind. Small penis.
RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Monday looks good for sailing. I love these dark cool days with a bit
of rain. I'll be at the yard setting up my new genoa, then I'm off on
J29 for a few hours.
Scotty will not be sailing
Jeff will not be sailing.
Bart & Martin will not be sailing.

Yup. Then again, folks like Jeff think that a few hours of sailing on
a J29 can't possibly be fun or worthwhile. Ah well!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 7/22/2007 10:33 AM:
Defense? What am I defending against?

No one really knows. But everytime I point out what Cruising World
said about cats and what most owners say, you feel the need to defend
your choice.

I didn't know CW had an editorial postion on cats. Normally they just
have articles, like the one in this month's issue describing how much
fun it was.

If I was done with sailing various boats and actually
enjoying sailing maybe I'd buy a Cat or Trawler as well.

Tell us when you stop just sailing and start enjoying. And you're
right, when you're ready to start enjoying, you might try a cat.

I use my boat.

If you say so!

A lot more than you use yours!

You go out
for an hour or so, bounce off a log or rock

Yup, we were bouncing on that Santana all day. When we rafted up in
Little Neck bay we sure had an awful time!

Little Neck is so close to your slip that you didn't have to unplug
shore power!!!

and then spend the next
week on the hard!

Since I've been on the hard I've gone sailing on 5 different boats
(not counting the Rhodes). How many boats did you sail this month...or
this week??!!!!

Sorry booby, while you were doing a few daysails I sailed most of
Massachusetts, from Cape Ann to Cutyhunk. I have nothing against the
Rhodes, I sail them frequently and have probably logged more hours in
them then you've sailed in you entire life. But you're sounding like
a parking lot attendant bragging about how many cars he's driven!

Sorry booby, a boat doesn't have to heel to be fun.

I bet you looked up foil dynamics by now, since you never mentioned it
again.

Why would I google it? I was studying NACA foils and how they're used
in sailboats while you were still in diapers!

It IS a real term.

Of course. You overheard it at a boat show and now you're showing
your ignorance by using it inappropriately. Here's a hint: tipping is
not necessary to go fast. It is not even desirable. Much of naval
architecture is concerned with minimizing tipping.

Try googling it. You've never owned a true
performance monohul

And yet, my boat is faster than yours on all points of sail! And, I
sail it 5 times more than you sail yours!

and I doubt you sailed many.

You forget all those years in collegiate racing, then club racing and
sailing in 470's, 505's, Solings, Etchells, Tempests, IODs, Larks,
Finns, Lightnings, Snipes ...

I've even had rides in several 12-meters, one of them before its
successful defense.

And remember, I actually raced these boats, sometimes bringing home
some silver. You just hop on board for a ride, then you run home and
brag about it as thought its a great triumph!

If you think 12 knots downwind is fun on your cat,

If you knew anything about boats you would know that my boat, and most
others, do not achieve particularly high speeds going downwind. My
top speeds are on a beam reach. The polars show 11 knots in 18 true
at 90 degrees, though frankly that's a bit optimistic for plain sail.

you should try 10 knots on my 35s5 or

So should you! You've posted tons of pics and videos, but none of
them show you doing over 6 knots, and most don't even show both sails!

Bragging about what other people have done in boats similar to yours
is the true mark of a loser!

even the thrill of yesterday's Santana run at near 8. But if you
really want to just go 12 knots and "get there" I suggest going Doug's
route!

If I wanted that, I could trade mine for the power version to does 20
knots! Maybe someday.

I think doing 12
knots is a lot of fun.

Dull dull dull. Like doing 12 knots on a trawler. She was DESIGNED to
do it and do it with little fuss.

So now your complaint is that me boat was designed to go fast! You
really are a jackass, aren't you?

It's no more fun than doing 4 nots
in a Cape Dory Typhoon. Pushing the limits of a J24 is way more fun
and clearly what most true sailors prefer.

Again, you should try it sometime. Taking a boat our for an hour is
not "pushing the limits." Sailing with no specific goal, just looking
for a puff to get a little rush, is not "pushing the limits." Pushing
the limits is when you're in a race and performing at less than 95% is
essentially a DNF.

I think spending the
whole summer, or even a whole year on board is fun.

We sure don't. I also have a love for the woods, film and astronomy
and even driving. Can't say I'd want to be cooped up on a floating
radiator all summer.

Ah! So now the problem is that you simply don't like to spend
extended time on boats! That much is pretty obvious!

And your boat would not feel like a radiator if it actually had
ventilation. If it had some real hatches it would be horrific!

If you think spending your whole sailing life within sight of your
slip is fun, that's your prerogative.

My whole life, Jeff? You keep talking as though you're my equal, Jeff.

Good God, I should hope not! But don't worry, you can get help.
There is therapy available that will help you function in the real world.

You're not. You're old and you're body is tired. I'm 44, twice as
strong as any two people posting here.

And yet, you've told us that you can't go out for more than a few days
because of a chronic illness. You're the one who seems debilitated.

My years ahead are probably not
fewer than those behind. I have a lifetime of sailing to come and I'll
want to drop dead indeed if I end up doing as little as you.

Sorry to hear that. Since I started as a young child, I already have
more sailing in than you'll see in your lifetime!

Have you
done an Atlantic crossing? Sailed the Greek islands? We have a lot of
plans

Yes, we keep hearing about your plans. You always have plans, but
your achievements add up to less sailing than most of us do in a month!

and maybe we'll get to most of them. I guess you'll just sit
around and hope we don't that's sad.

Just sit around??? We just got back from three weeks cruising, and
Thursday we're leaving for four weeks in Maine. And you're just
jacking off in LIS!

The rest of the sailing world races and cruises.

Really? I thought most people just enjoy their boats? What kind of
person is worried so much about how far someone sails with their 35
footer, Jeff?

I really don't care how you use your boat. You're the one who keeps
claiming that only you can have fun because your boat tips more and
any other!

Our longest sail to Port Jeff this summer was the least
fun we had due to some light air.

What, you don't enjoy pushing the limits of your boat in light air?
Surely this means you don't like sailing!

Actually, one of the best sails I've had in the last few years was a
light air sail of about 25 miles where it turned into a race with
several larger boats.

Maybe the ride to Mystic will be
more fun since we're taking 4 boats,

most people can fit in one.

but a lot of people love to just
SAIL, Jeff. Part of that is owning a boat that's actually fun to sail.
If you "need" to get somewhere or round a bouy 1st I think you missed
the whole joy of sailing...and now it's too late for you.

If you even rounded a mark last it would mean that you're trying. If
you don't race, you can't talk about "pushing a boat to its limits."

Bragging about how fast your boat is when you don't
race is the mark of a loser!

That's hilarious. Who knew you need to race to appreciate the
performance of a boat. Now I'm 100% sure you really don't like to
sail, Jeff. You're a powerboater at best who's caved into the pressure
of a sailing community which is snobbish about powerboats.

You just keep digging the hole deeper. You keep posting pics of
sailing boats at 60% of their potential and bragging about how fast
you're going! If you raced you might learn how to get up to 95%, and
you'd certainly learn the meaning of terms like "pinching" and "foil
dynamics" and how to use them without embarrassing yourself.

Bragging about how comfortable your
boat is when you don't cruise is the mark of a loser!

Oh no! Now this poor toadie says I need to be comfortable for LONG
trips. How dare we be comfortable for only a weekend! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're the one who claims that without A/C it would be horrific!

Poor booby. His jealously weeps from every post he makes.

I'm off to the Rhodes 19, Jeff. It's not comfortable and not too fast,
but it sure is fun!
You'll have all day...a beautiful sailing day....to respond while we
sail.

Ah! A Rhodes! One of my favorites. I like to take my daughter out
in them so she learns about tillers! I've been sailing them since
1963 - my first cruise of Maine was in a Mariner (the cuddy version)
out of Booth Bay in 1964.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I didn't know CW had an editorial postion on cats. Normally they
just
have articles, like the one in this month's issue describing how much
fun it was.

You just said they didn't have an editorial position, then claimed
they did.

Tell us when you stop just sailing

That may be one of the saddest comments made by anyone here. I know
you're old, but it's pretty sad when a fellow like you feels that
"just sailing" for the sake of sailing isn't fun. Sorry, I don't know
any one who sails that agrees.

A lot more than you use yours!

Even if we used Heart of Gold half as much we'd still be spending more
time aboard than you.

Little Neck is so close to your slip that you didn't have to
unplug
shore power!!!

We didn't sail from my slip or even City Island. I don't own a Santana
30/30. I own a 35s5. Are you old AND confused?

Why would I google it? I was studying NACA foils and how they're
used
in sailboats while you were still in diapers!

And yet you claimed the term didn't exist! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

It IS a real term.

Of course.

You are soooooo BUSTED!!! BWAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Here's a hint: tipping is
not necessary to go fast. It is not even desirable. Much of naval
architecture is concerned with minimizing tipping.

Really? Is water also wet? Tell us more! You're starting to sound like
Doug, the King of Keels!

And yet, my boat is faster than yours on all points of sail!

It's not a monohull and has nothing to do with folks who like to sail
them any more than a tri-foiler does. Cats are ugly and dull and a LOT
of people feel that way and spend big gobbs of money on lovely boats
like Swans, Baltics and Alerions...and even a lowly 35s5!

And, I
sail it 5 times more than you sail yours!

Is that in Mayfly hours?

You forget all those years in collegiate racing, then

At your age you'll also be forgetting them quite soon!

You just hop on board for a ride, then you run home and
brag about it as thought its a great triumph!

Just here, Jeff, just here!

So should you! You've posted tons of pics and videos, but none of
them show you doing over 6 knots, and most don't even show both sails!

LOL! The 35s5 rarely does less than 6 knots.

Bragging about what other people have done in boats similar to
yours
is the true mark of a loser!

Who's bragging? Pointing out that you and the rest of the full time
ASAers here don't sail is not bragging.

If I wanted that, I could trade mine for the power version to does
20
knots! Maybe someday.

Wow. Now there's a dream.

So now your complaint is that me boat was designed to go fast!

Yup, because you keep bragging again and again that she does 12 knots.
Who cares. She sits flat on the water and does 12 knots with zero fun
factor.

Again, you should try it sometime. Taking a boat our for an hour
is
not "pushing the limits."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I wonder if you can say one more dumb thing in a single
post and BAM, you outdo yourself! Last month I was out in a J24 for
about an hour. Winds came up to 40+ knots. Still, I guess we were
waiting for the 61 minute mark to know we were over-driving the boat!

Sailing with no specific goal, just looking
for a puff to get a little rush, is not "pushing the limits."

Bwahahahahhahahaha! I love Jeff's silly generalizing!

Pushing
the limits is when you're in a race and performing at less than 95%
is
essentially a DNF.

Dang, is that in a book somewhere? We thought that pushing the limits
meant sailing a boat beyond her conventional design parameters, but
I'm sure glad you set us all straight!

Ah! So now the problem is that you simply don't like to spend
extended time on boats! That much is pretty obvious!

Good lord! You JUST realized this? I don't like spending extended time
on boats. I have other interests that I'm also pasionate about. Even
aboard my friend's Tayana 48DS (A boat 5 times more comfortable than
yours), 4 days aboard was plenty.

And your boat would not feel like a radiator if it actually had
ventilation.

Hmmmm. I wonder what monohull that Jeff "respects" has as better
ventilation than the 35s5? In stock trim she has 11 ports and hatches,
plus we have 3 powered vents. Of course you can add vents, but we've
never had a problem, except maybe on ultra hot days in a slip where we
simply flip on the AC.

Good God, I should hope not!

Your wish is granted. Even at 44 I've got more going on than you ever
will and having a blast. I know you'll now make all sort of claims
about slain dragons...hey, go right ahead.

And yet, you've told us that you can't go out for more than a few
days
because of a chronic illness.

Hmmmm. I'd like to read that post. I have an illness, but it doesn't
effect sailing in any way. Even when I was sick, I still could run,
lift and do everything else.

You're the one who seems debilitated.

Yep....just got back from trail riding and going swimming in the pond
with Thomas in a while. I'm crippled!

Yes, we keep hearing about your plans. You always have plans, but
your achievements add up to less sailing than most of us do in a
month!

Bwaahahahhaaha! Yeah? Who is doing all that sailing while posting here
every day! I claim to daysail and do weekend trips. I post pics and
video. There's no doubt. The rest of you are here ALL OF THE TIME!!!
Who are you trying to kid? I'm in touch via direct e-mail with several
people here and they don't believe you sail anywhere either!

Thursday we're leaving for four weeks in Maine. And you're just
jacking off in LIS!

Yup. We like sailing. We're not interested in cruising. Learn to live
with that and you may add a few years to your short-fused life.

I really don't care how you use your boat.

So why respond to every troll like a pavlovian dog. Jeff, surely
you're old and wise enough to catch on to what I do here and that I do
it for entertainment. As long as you're also having fun, then I'll
except the silly claim that you "don't care how I use my boat."
Actually, I think you care a great deal.

You're the one who keeps
claiming that only you can have fun because your boat tips more and
any other!

It's called heeling, Jeff. And it's a big part of the dynamic of
sailing for most sailors. Acting as though heeling is not a major fun
factor in sailing is like saying the wind in your hair is not part of
the allure of driving a ragtop. Snap out of it, dude.

What, you don't enjoy pushing the limits of your boat in light air?

Depends on how light and how hot. Dead calm conditions where no one
can sail on a 100 degree day is not fun for a sailboat underway. But
please tell us how you've sailed and had fun sailing your boat on
those days!

If you even rounded a mark last it would mean that you're trying.
If
you don't race, you can't talk about "pushing a boat to its limits."

I have raced on a J30 and J24's. It was fun for a while. It's not part
of why I want to sailing. You will never understand, probably because
you're not a sailor at heart. You carry around a phoney bravado
because you've taken a boat this way and that, adding up the miles as
though they are "better" than those who love sailing on Sunday
afternoons, on lakes and so on. You missed it, Jeff.

You just keep digging the hole deeper.

Yeah, you've been saying that for years, yet here you are in the hole.

You keep posting pics of
sailing boats at 60% of their potential and bragging about how fast
you're going!

When we drive a boat hard I'm usually not inclined to mess with my
camera.

If you raced you might learn how to get up to 95%, and
you'd certainly learn the meaning of terms like "pinching" and "foil
dynamics" and how to use them without embarrassing yourself.

Golly, the only one who got embarassed here was you, busted about 5
times in a single post!

You're the one who claims that without A/C it would be horrific!

AC at the SLIP. Yup. A nice thing to have. I don't know a single
person with AC who wants it off the boat.

Ah! A Rhodes! One of my favorites. I like to take my daughter
out
in them so she learns about tillers! I've been sailing them since
1963 - my first cruise of Maine was in a Mariner (the cuddy version)
out of Booth Bay in 1964.

My feet got wet.
I know you love me, Jeff. Keep up the energy!

RB
35s5
NY

Today's Little Run for Fun Capt. Rob ASA 12 June 4th 07 04:35 AM
Today's Victims.... Capt. Rob ASA 2 July 12th 06 03:41 AM
Today's Laugh Gorf General 74 October 25th 05 03:58 AM
Today's Laugh Don White General 0 October 20th 05 06:37 PM