posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Otnmbrd's ship!

Never heard of this practice, however, on some cargoes it was common
practice to start loading by gravity only (slow) until the suction bells
were covered to avoid splashing, for much the same reason.
On todays ships, most use inert gas in the tanks to keep the oxygen level
too low for combustion.

Vic Smith wrote in
:

When I was watertending on Great Lake tankers deck hands would toss
some hundreds of pounds of dry ice in the empty tanks before we
refilled. Supposedly suppressed the generation of static electricity.
I preferred to be ashore. Do they still do that?

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:58:26 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

Never heard of this practice, however, on some cargoes it was common
practice to start loading by gravity only (slow) until the suction bells
were covered to avoid splashing, for much the same reason.
On todays ships, most use inert gas in the tanks to keep the oxygen level
too low for combustion.

After searching around a bit, it seems the purpose of the dry ice was
to inert the tank. My recollection of looking down into the tank was
there wasn't enough CO2 coming from the blocks to do it, but I didn't
stay around long.
I also found that a number of people have been killed by exploding
tanks when attempting to inert a tank using a CO2 bottle.
The discharge from the bottle itself can generate enough static to
produce a spark before the tank atmosphere becomes non-explosive.
Like they say, a little knowledge can be dangerous.
Never did like sitting on a bomb myself.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Vic Smith wrote in
It's been awhile, but some tankers didn't use IG due to possible
contamination of cargo.....either the possible soot could do it or would
change coloration of the cargo itself.
At any rate we all breathed easier with IG. One time as a test we Crude
washed a tank then gas free'd it after which I went down to do some
repairs..... found a few "hot spots" but finished repairs and decided it
wasn't a good idea....i.e., it worked but "no thank you".

:

wrote:

[...]

Ship that tree up here. Don White General 12 April 28th 07 02:07 PM
not a tall ship.. but does anyone recognise this 1940s ship? (link in message) Boyd Tall Ship Photos 2 April 2nd 07 05:25 PM
Ship Rigging katysails ASA 1 October 16th 04 06:15 AM
Ship TIJUCA V Rasmussen Tall Ships 2 October 7th 04 02:55 PM
Otnmbrd's woman Simple Simon ASA 0 September 24th 03 09:39 PM