posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default first sail - tonight & tomorrow

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST - NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE TO 20 NM OFFSHORE AND DELAWARE BAY

SAT - W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE PM. SEAS - 2 FT

Could I ask for better conditions for my first sail?
Woohoo!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It was awesome! We went out a few miles offshore, out through the Bass and
Mullica Rivers, across the Great Bay, then the Inlet at Holgate, sailed
North past Beach Haven; at the end of the day we logged a 40 mile sail. The
inlet was a bit choppy but the ocean was nothing but peaceful swells. NOAA
was predicting 10-15 from the West, but we were getting an easterly sea
breeze that was pushing us too close to shore, so we tact out until we were
about 2 miles offshore.

The boat will take some getting used to. I noticed a lot of side slippage
but we experimented a lot and our water depth ranged from less than 2 feet
to 70 feet, which means we had that centerboard all over the place. I have a
lot more boat now, and she's a beauty, but my first impression is that my
old Precision (Starwind) was a much more responsive boat - I'll save final
judgment until I have more experience with the Seaward.

A few minor mechanical problems were worked out and one problem with my fuel
system still needs to be resolved. My physics teaching friend who also did a
few years as an engineer on a tuna boat came with me and put his talents to
work going over many of my mechanicals and making suggestions.

The horseflies were on us like a deluge. It seems they also appreciate the
shade of the bimini. Once offshore though, they were all but gone and we had
just one lone butterfly to keep us company. I took one video and it's 30
megs. I'll get pics on the next trip.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
well?

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST - NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE TO 20 NM OFFSHORE AND

DELAWARE BAY

SAT - W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN

THE PM. SEAS - 2 FT

Could I ask for better conditions for my first sail?
Woohoo!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
It was awesome! We went out a few miles offshore, out

through the Bass and
Mullica Rivers, across the Great Bay, then the Inlet at

Holgate, sailed
North past Beach Haven; at the end of the day we logged a

40 mile sail.

You've already past Bob's entire season.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Wow... nice sail! Leeway is more pronounced with shallow draft vessels, so
don't feel too bad.

Horseflys... blech... we used to kill them down in Yuma, AZ, then tack their
carcasses on the shade trees as a warning to other flies. It didn't help
much, but it made us feel better. Couldn't kill them with a knotted up
towel, just stun them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote:
It was awesome! We went out a few miles offshore, out through the Bass and
Mullica Rivers, across the Great Bay, then the Inlet at Holgate, sailed
North past Beach Haven; at the end of the day we logged a 40 mile sail. The
inlet was a bit choppy but the ocean was nothing but peaceful swells. NOAA
was predicting 10-15 from the West, but we were getting an easterly sea
breeze that was pushing us too close to shore, so we tact out until we were
about 2 miles offshore.

NOAA are idiots to be predicting a light breeze from the west at this
time of year. A summer day on the Jersey shore will build a strong sea
breeze by early afternoon, unless there is a fairly strong system
brewing something else. It's the default setting.

The boat will take some getting used to. I noticed a lot of side slippage
but we experimented a lot and our water depth ranged from less than 2 feet
to 70 feet, which means we had that centerboard all over the place. I have a
lot more boat now, and she's a beauty, but my first impression is that my
old Precision (Starwind) was a much more responsive boat - I'll save final
judgment until I have more experience with the Seaward.

I bet that there is a big difference between having the board full
down and half up (or more); with the bulb/wing the difference in
stability should be noticable and the difference in leeway
considerable!

Here's the $64 question- how did your Dad like the boat?

A few minor mechanical problems were worked out and one problem with my fuel
system still needs to be resolved. My physics teaching friend who also did a
few years as an engineer on a tuna boat came with me and put his talents to
work going over many of my mechanicals and making suggestions.

The horseflies were on us like a deluge. It seems they also appreciate the
shade of the bimini. Once offshore though, they were all but gone and we had
just one lone butterfly to keep us company. I took one video and it's 30
megs. I'll get pics on the next trip.
Scout

That'll be great! I would like to see some pics of the mast raising
system in action too.

Fresh BReezes- Doug King

Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Sail Flaking System Cruising 36 February 26th 07 08:20 PM
Sail Ho! [email protected] General 1 September 9th 05 10:54 PM
Sail boats that don't sail... Tim General 3 August 2nd 05 12:26 AM
SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
sail horsepower? William R. Watt Boat Building 21 November 5th 03 02:36 AM