posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout Scout is offline

Default first sail - tonight & tomorrow

It was awesome! We went out a few miles offshore, out through the Bass and
Mullica Rivers, across the Great Bay, then the Inlet at Holgate, sailed
North past Beach Haven; at the end of the day we logged a 40 mile sail. The
inlet was a bit choppy but the ocean was nothing but peaceful swells. NOAA
was predicting 10-15 from the West, but we were getting an easterly sea
breeze that was pushing us too close to shore, so we tact out until we were
about 2 miles offshore.

The boat will take some getting used to. I noticed a lot of side slippage
but we experimented a lot and our water depth ranged from less than 2 feet
to 70 feet, which means we had that centerboard all over the place. I have a
lot more boat now, and she's a beauty, but my first impression is that my
old Precision (Starwind) was a much more responsive boat - I'll save final
judgment until I have more experience with the Seaward.

A few minor mechanical problems were worked out and one problem with my fuel
system still needs to be resolved. My physics teaching friend who also did a
few years as an engineer on a tuna boat came with me and put his talents to
work going over many of my mechanicals and making suggestions.

The horseflies were on us like a deluge. It seems they also appreciate the
shade of the bimini. Once offshore though, they were all but gone and we had
just one lone butterfly to keep us company. I took one video and it's 30
megs. I'll get pics on the next trip.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
well?

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST - NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE TO 20 NM OFFSHORE AND

DELAWARE BAY

SAT - W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN

THE PM. SEAS - 2 FT

Could I ask for better conditions for my first sail?
Woohoo!
Scout