Tim

Default Sail boats that don't sail...

I didn't know how to address this, but does anybody have or use a sail
boat that doesn't sail? near me is a couple very large lakes.
Shelbyville IL. Carlyle IL, and Ren Lake. OK, I've seen slipped some
pretty good size sail boats in the 23-28 ft. range. A coupe of them
don't even have riggings.

But what the owners will do, is especially when the evening water is
really calm You'll see these boats go out with their little diesels or
outboards, for some week end camping, either at another marina, or
usually just out in the middle of the lake and anchor off to fish,
party, or what have you.

I always thought this most strange, but then again, some people have
the boat but don't like the sailing feature, and plenty big enough for
a cruise outing.

Anybody ever do this? or do you know people that use a sail boat that
don't sail?

Tim

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 31 Jul 2005 09:56:21 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

[...]

There are several sail boats at the marina where my Contender is
docked that aren't rigged with sails. They follow pretty much the
pattern you described - they motor every where.

If I had to guess, older sailboats are less expensive than boats with
engines and it's a good way to get out and about.

Either that, or they bought the boat thinking how hard can sailing be
and found out differently.
Tim

Thats what I was thinking also.

Kind of nice watch them take out on a fri. evening when the water is
like glass, and pull through the slips to the open water. the "NO WAKE"
bouys mean nothing to them because they don't amke a wake anyhow.

very graceful to watch.....

DSK

Tim wrote:
I didn't know how to address this, but does anybody have or use a sail
boat that doesn't sail? near me is a couple very large lakes.
Shelbyville IL. Carlyle IL, and Ren Lake. OK, I've seen slipped some
pretty good size sail boats in the 23-28 ft. range. A coupe of them
don't even have riggings.

But what the owners will do, is especially when the evening water is
really calm You'll see these boats go out with their little diesels or
outboards, for some week end camping, either at another marina, or
usually just out in the middle of the lake and anchor off to fish,
party, or what have you.

If it's "really calm" then there's probably not enough wind to sail
anyway... but that's not what you meant, I bet...

I always thought this most strange, but then again, some people have
the boat but don't like the sailing feature, and plenty big enough for
a cruise outing.

Anybody ever do this? or do you know people that use a sail boat that
don't sail?

I know a lot of boats at our marina... and most others I've visited...
don't ever go out at all. There are at least a dozen that the owners
have been aboard twice or less in 3 years.

I also know of a lot of people who have nice sailboats that motor almost
everywhere they go. The wind is always either not strong enough, or too
strong, or not from the right direction, etc etc. About the only people
who really sail often are the ones who race. And many of them don't seem
to enjoy it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King