posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Concrete world

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

Not the prettiest boat I've ever seen, lines remind me of Bob, pear
shaped!

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...racrew_300.jpg

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Archetypal example of why I'd never own a ferrocement boat: ugly.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:04:32 -0500, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Joe wrote:

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

Not the prettiest boat I've ever seen, lines remind me of Bob, pear
shaped!

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...racrew_300.jpg

Cheers
Marty

It looks like he faired the hull with a sledgehammer.
Mark E. Williams
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

Joe wrote:

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

Not the prettiest boat I've ever seen, lines remind me of Bob, pear
shaped!

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...racrew_300.jpg

Cheers
Marty

It looks like he faired the hull with a sledgehammer.
Mark E. Williams

Joe has a propensity for finding the ugliest boats on the Net...

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

Joe wrote:

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

Not the prettiest boat I've ever seen, lines remind me of Bob, pear
shaped!

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...racrew_300.jpg

Cheers
Marty

It looks like he faired the hull with a sledgehammer.
Mark E. Williams

He's not going for any speed records, not sure if I'd like to spend a
1000 days at sea, maybe if I could earn 6K a day.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Cool looking boat!

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:06:27 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Archetypal example of why I'd never own a ferrocement boat: ugly.

Max

While this one is bad ugly, I spent 8 days on one on a leg of a trip
moving it from Annapolis to Pensacola. A 42 foot pilot house Ketch.
It was very nice looking, had great classic lines, and was well
constructed by a yard, that according to the owner, observed the
method of continuous, wet, monolithic, forming of the hull.

The reason I wouldn't own one is the same reason the owner finally
sold it. Seems, you cannot get insurance at a reasonable cost.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message

He's not going for any speed records, not sure if I'd like to spend a
1000 days at sea, maybe if I could earn 6K a day.

If I owned that boat (an impossibility), I'd rather spend my time at sea
where no one could witness me at the helm of such a monstrosity.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:06:27 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
roups.com...
http://www.1000days.net/images/press...ingout_300.jpg

Plans on 1000 days at sea, non-stop.

Archetypal example of why I'd never own a ferrocement boat: ugly.

Max

While this one is bad ugly, I spent 8 days on one on a leg of a trip
moving it from Annapolis to Pensacola. A 42 foot pilot house Ketch.
It was very nice looking, had great classic lines, and was well
constructed by a yard, that according to the owner, observed the
method of continuous, wet, monolithic, forming of the hull.

The reason I wouldn't own one is the same reason the owner finally
sold it. Seems, you cannot get insurance at a reasonable cost.

The problem with ferrocement, Frank, is one of image. It was touted as the
homebuilder's material of choice for a few decades. Quite a few folks got
into building FC boats, but almost none had any sense of aesthetics, nor had
they the ability to build good designs with any degree of uniformity of
character. Corners became rounded, long spans became serpentine, and most
craft had the appearance of stark irregularity. The net effect was a
terribly amateurish appearance, with very few exceptions. And, as you've
implied, the insurance carriers were afraid of the material, not to mention
the amateur-built aspect.

Last summer I toured a FC boat in which a couple had just completed the
Great Loop. They'd encountered heavy seas and strong winds in the Gulf,
having chose to cut across rather than stay with the ICW. According to them
the boat was solid and free of damage from 50kt. winds and towering seas. I
believed them. The interior was lovely, if cramped. But the exterior of
the boat had that typical FC appearance, despite being clean, freshly
painted, and well-kept. It just wasn't a good-looking boat, or one that
would instill pride in ownership. Not for me.

Max

Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
Rev.Moon and True World Marine Harry Krause General 17 August 15th 05 09:24 PM