posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default I'm green with envy

It amazes me that Rob is so shook up that I mentioned RedCloud raced
in a few major regetta's.

He even called me a liar...can you imagine?

Bob it's not a big deal, many boats race offshore long distance, I
swear, Honest Injun!

He's half right on the lake sailing. I'm sailing a dink thats been
modified and it's hard to tell if I'm doing good compared to the other
boats. So tonight I walked over to Bens shop here in the shipyard and
asked if I could crew on his boat.

He said sure;0) Thanks for the encourgement Rob, I'll be racing on
the fastest Star in Texas.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
It amazes me that Rob is so shook up that I mentioned RedCloud raced
in a few major regetta's.

He even called me a liar...can you imagine?

Bob it's not a big deal, many boats race offshore long distance, I
swear, Honest Injun!

He's half right on the lake sailing. I'm sailing a dink thats been
modified and it's hard to tell if I'm doing good compared to the other
boats. So tonight I walked over to Bens shop here in the shipyard and
asked if I could crew on his boat.

He said sure;0) Thanks for the encourgement Rob, I'll be racing on
the fastest Star in Texas.

Joe

Do tell us about the dink. What did you do to it?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 19, 8:39 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

It amazes me that Rob is so shook up that I mentioned RedCloud raced
in a few major regetta's.

He even called me a liar...can you imagine?

Bob it's not a big deal, many boats race offshore long distance, I
swear, Honest Injun!

He's half right on the lake sailing. I'm sailing a dink thats been
modified and it's hard to tell if I'm doing good compared to the other
boats. So tonight I walked over to Bens shop here in the shipyard and
asked if I could crew on his boat.

He said sure;0) Thanks for the encourgement Rob, I'll be racing on
the fastest Star in Texas.

Joe

Do tell us about the dink. What did you do to it?

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Made a bigger rudder. Bigger sails from another boat, not sure what
type, they are yellow and black striped and have a black albatross &
3/4 battens. The sails were like new, and they fit. My old sails came
off a snipe. Also had the rake the mast a bit more. I have next to
zero chance of ever winning against the boats out her with her, but
she's fun to kick about, and makes a great towed dink. I've also
drilled holes in the upper transom to mount the outboard plate. Also
added a thick rub rail as she stay in the slip next to Redcloud.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 19, 8:39 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Sounds like fun. When I had my Cal 20, I was continually amazed by the size
of the rudder and how much it easier it made sailing in relatively high
winds. I didn't have a reef point in the main, the jib was hanked, and it
didn't have a traveler. Coming across the slot in 20+ kts was interesting...
she would sail on her ear quite nicely with no excessive helm. I typically
had my hand firmly on the mainsheet, rarely cleating the sail, and I'd put
my legs over the tiller, so I could use two hands on the sheet if necessary.
It could get a bit wet, but that was about it. A fun, stiff little boat, but
I'm glad I have my 30 footer now.

And, that brings back memories of my windrider tri. I had it off Coyote
Point (near Candlestick) one afternoon. It only had a main, which you could
reef by rolling it up on the rotating mast. It had vertical battens. That
particular day, the wind speed built into the mid-20s pretty quickly. No way
to tack and even jibing was a concern due to potential pitchpole. So, I
headed downwind and let out the main completely... sail could actually go
completely forward of the mast since there were no shrouds. Anyway, I went
out quite a ways, and finally the wind calmed down enough for me to turn
around. Then, quickly, one after another, the battens, which I had forgotten
to put all the way into the capture pocket, came flying out... up and away,
with a cool sounding zing, zing, zing.. at $35 a pop of course. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

green ground wire bobk123 General 9 November 23rd 06 06:26 PM
green river labyrinth jim forbes General 7 April 4th 04 07:31 AM
Green grunge Roland General 7 October 2nd 03 05:55 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM