Default The beginning of the end

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"mr.b" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 07:44:09 -0500, Roger Long wrote:

Here is the beginning of the end of boating as we know it in the US
of
A.

http://www.marinelink.com/Story/Coas...it-206253.html

A large part of the problem rests with a populace that is cultured to
avoid thinking at all times. Why think when you've got cheap beer,
NASCAR
and "Fox News"? (sic). It's easier to manipulate the prejudices,
biases
and fears of stupid people. It's easy to get them to believe whatever
horse**** the fuhrer wants to substitute for the truth. A scary part
for
non-Americans is the degree to which even seemingly smart people in
the US
completely swallow, then regurgitate the pap that passes for "truth"
in
the former "land of the free". The real question is whether there
are
enough "smart" Americans to stop what from the outside looks like a
dangerous slide into facism.

Hey, I've got it! Let's require every boat, regardless of size, to
file a float plan with the Coast Guard, which will issue a "Voyage
Permit" for each trip. Doesn't matter if you're going out to fish for
a couple of hours, daysailing, or cruising for a few days, weeks, or
months. Get caught without your "Papers," and your boat is confiscated
and you spend some time in the pokey, getting pokied.

"Land of the Free" my hind leg. This suggestion may seem far-fetched
now, but I'd about guarantee that something along these lines will be
proposed, and possibly adopted.

Already there is a law on the books that recreational boaters who leave
the good ole USA and come back in must have passports. If you fail to
clear customs and immigration your boat can be impounded and you
imprisoned and fined. I think it goes into effect this year sometime in
the fall. Imagine that. A US citizen must have federally issued "papers"
that prove he's a citizen before he can return to his own country. In
the meanwhile, illegals flood across the borders and are given handouts
and free medical care and schooling for their ******* children.

Your float plan idea is not far-fetched at all. Already it is in the
"recommended for all vessel voyages" stage by the Coast Guard. It's only
a matter of time before it's mandatory. In Key West the Federal Govt.
issued permits for a handful of sailboats to race to Havana and back.
When the boats returned to Key West they were summarily boarded and
searched. People were arrested for spending money in Cuba if they had
any Cuban goods on board. One boat was impounded for a while. A few
people are still being prosecuted. It all amounts to an abuse of federal
govt. powers. It's going to get worse. It never gets better.

That's why thinking people need a capable voyaging sailboat. The time is
nigh to start looking for a new country. Personally I like the Bahamas.
Almost a third-world country. Parliamentary govt. Small bureaucracy.
They just don't have the money or personnel to harass boaters. No sales
tax. Prices are a little high but I'd rather pay higher prices to the
businessman and no taxes to the govt. than lower prices to the
businessman and high taxes to a govt. that uses tax revenues to slowly
take away your freedom. The Democrats said it's time for a change. Now
that they are in power I'm beginning to agree with them. It's time for a
change in countries.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:26:50 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Imagine that. A US citizen must have federally issued "papers"
that prove he's a citizen before he can return to his own country.

Guess you haven't done much foreign travel.

I have. But by air. That's a different situation. Public transportation.
What if an airplane had mechanical problems and went out into the
Atlantic a couple hundred miles, then turned around and came back and
landed. Would I have to clear customs to get back into the country?
Negative sarge. When you're in your own registered or documented vessel
there's plenty enough paperwork that proves who you are without having
to show a passport. The very word passport means passing through a port.
When I arrive from off shore to my dock I don't pass any ports. Why
should I be required to have a passport? Answer that and answer it
realistically, please. Keep in mind that the new law applies even if I
never clear into any foreign country. All that is necessary for me to
have to clear back in is to arrive from offshore. That's three miles or
more out. So if I leave territorial waters and spend a day or so sailing
offshore I have to clear back in? Give me a break.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

said:

Imagine that. A US citizen must have federally issued "papers"
that prove he's a citizen before he can return to his own country.

Guess you haven't done much foreign travel.

I wonder how they're going to deal with a demarcation line that is basically
at the entrance to the SF bay and the 100s of boats that go to near
destinations, such as Monterey, Stinson, or the Farallons for the day or for
a weekend. For those locations, you really need to be well offshore to get
there safely.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
:

That's why thinking people need a capable voyaging sailboat. The time

is
nigh to start looking for a new country. Personally I like the Bahamas.
Almost a third-world country. Parliamentary govt. Small bureaucracy.
They just don't have the money or personnel to harass boaters. No sales
tax. Prices are a little high but I'd rather pay higher prices to the
businessman and no taxes to the govt. than lower prices to the
businessman and high taxes to a govt. that uses tax revenues to slowly
take away your freedom. The Democrats said it's time for a change. Now
that they are in power I'm beginning to agree with them. It's time for

change in countries.

Wilbur Hubbard

One of my female friends just built her SECOND house in Playa Del Hermosa
Jaco, Costa Rica. CR is very American-friendly. She used local
architects, builders, craftsmen for everything. Every drawer pull,
handle and handrail was made by local blacksmiths, by hand. It's
beautiful! Hermosa is CR's surfer paradise on the Pacific.
http://www.jacowebs.com/Kelies/FrameSet.htm
Not ONE pool.....two!...(c;

CR might be a great place to move to. Very little "government" standing
in your way, especially if you're doing something to improve Costa
Ricans.

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

"Larry" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
:

[...]

I have a friend who retired and moved to Costa Rica. He loves it. Even
married a young honey. He says the money goes further there and it's
really nice living conditions. I might check it out one of these days
but I'd prefer the Caribbean side over the Pacific side.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Larry" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
:

[...]

That is, indeed, a beautiful place she has there. Any idea of a ballpark
cost for house and lot?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Larry" wrote in message

One of my female friends just built her SECOND house in Playa Del Hermosa
Jaco, Costa Rica. CR is very American-friendly. She used local
architects, builders, craftsmen for everything. Every drawer pull,
handle and handrail was made by local blacksmiths, by hand. It's
beautiful! Hermosa is CR's surfer paradise on the Pacific.
http://www.jacowebs.com/Kelies/FrameSet.htm
Not ONE pool.....two!...(c;

CR might be a great place to move to. Very little "government" standing
in your way, especially if you're doing something to improve Costa
Ricans.

Nice place. We loved Belize, but haven't been to CR.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in news:IPkIh.24346
:

That is, indeed, a beautiful place she has there. Any idea of a ballpark
cost for house and lot?

Wilbur Hubbard

Would $130K impress you?....(c; It's in an American-dominated neighborhood
of like homes up on the side of the mountain overlooking the Pacific. She
sold the house across the street, sort of the Version 1.0, to some more
Americans who moved down.

I miss her....(c;

Larry

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12v3nct6uhlqc72
@corp.supernews.com:

Nice place. We loved Belize, but haven't been to CR.

CR is nicer, at least as I've been told. CR isn't owned by Coca-Cola like
Belize politicians are.....and CR natives are VERY friendly towards NICE
Americans/Canadians. I'm told Belize sort of resents the big corporation
owning the country, which I can easily understand.....

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12v3nct6uhlqc72
@corp.supernews.com:

Nice place. We loved Belize, but haven't been to CR.

CR is nicer, at least as I've been told. CR isn't owned by Coca-Cola like
Belize politicians are.....and CR natives are VERY friendly towards NICE
Americans/Canadians. I'm told Belize sort of resents the big corporation
owning the country, which I can easily understand.....

Larry
--

Well, that cuts out Neal aka Wilbur...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The beginning of the end Roger Long Cruising 19 March 11th 07 11:03 PM
A Beginner's Guide to Beginning Guides JoeSpareBedroom General 0 September 10th 06 11:53 PM
In the Beginning Calif Bill General 0 August 22nd 06 10:26 PM
Beginning to look like cruising weather [email protected] Cruising 7 October 3rd 05 09:41 PM
Beginning to feel sorry for Katy and the other girls. Simple Simon ASA 7 November 26th 03 11:07 PM