posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Cheapo Handrails

Nathan Branden wrote:
I've been tempted to use the stainless steel bathroom handrails on my
cabintop. They are those handrails you see in Lowes or Home Depot,
pretty sturdy bent tubing with only two welds. How will they stand up
in a marine environment? They definitely long strong enough and mount
over a wide area. I just think the boat store handrails are
outrageously expensive and the bathroom ones a much less expensive and
even look better.

Nathan

You sure they
re just not plated? If they're plated they're going to pit and
score...why do you want metal handrails anyway? Why not some nice teak
rails..like most sailors have?
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, katy wrote:
Nathan Branden wrote:
I've been tempted to use the stainless steel bathroom handrails on my
cabintop. They are those handrails you see in Lowes or Home Depot,
pretty sturdy bent tubing with only two welds. How will they stand up
in a marine environment? They definitely long strong enough and mount
over a wide area. I just think the boat store handrails are
outrageously expensive and the bathroom ones a much less expensive and
even look better.

Nathan

You sure they
re just not plated? If they're plated they're going to pit and
score...why do you want metal handrails anyway? Why not some nice teak
rails..like most sailors have?

Stainless handrails like on RedCloud are 100 times stronger than any
teak rail, and require 100X's less up-keep.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, katy wrote:

Nathan Branden wrote:

I've been tempted to use the stainless steel bathroom handrails on my
cabintop. They are those handrails you see in Lowes or Home Depot,
pretty sturdy bent tubing with only two welds. How will they stand up
in a marine environment? They definitely long strong enough and mount
over a wide area. I just think the boat store handrails are
outrageously expensive and the bathroom ones a much less expensive and
even look better.

Nathan

You sure they
re just not plated? If they're plated they're going to pit and
score...why do you want metal handrails anyway? Why not some nice teak
rails..like most sailors have?

Stainless handrails like on RedCloud are 100 times stronger than any
teak rail, and require 100X's less up-keep.

Joe

And are uglier tha s%$t....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 12:22 pm, katy wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, katy wrote:

Nathan Branden wrote:

I've been tempted to use the stainless steel bathroom handrails on my
cabintop. They are those handrails you see in Lowes or Home Depot,
pretty sturdy bent tubing with only two welds. How will they stand up
in a marine environment? They definitely long strong enough and mount
over a wide area. I just think the boat store handrails are
outrageously expensive and the bathroom ones a much less expensive and
even look better.

Nathan

You sure they
re just not plated? If they're plated they're going to pit and
score...why do you want metal handrails anyway? Why not some nice teak
rails..like most sailors have?

Stainless handrails like on RedCloud are 100 times stronger than any
teak rail, and require 100X's less up-keep.

Joe

And are uglier tha s%$t....- Hide quoted text -

You think so : http://sports.webshots.com/photo/269...63212926KtVVcr

Just what makes them look like s%$t?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:22 pm, katy wrote:

Joe wrote:

On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, katy wrote:

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

They're yellow, for Pete's sake..what's that all about???

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 2:35 pm, katy wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:22 pm, katy wrote:

Joe wrote:

On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, katy wrote:

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

They're yellow, for Pete's sake..what's that all about???- Hide quoted text -

Makes them stand out, matches the yellow trim on the hull ,
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/152...63212926TDAGLs
The yellow stuff is called paint.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

Stainless handrails like on RedCloud are 100 times

stronger than any
teak rail, and require 100X's less up-keep.

Joe

And are uglier tha s%$t....

katy's right, this time.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Nathan Branden wrote:
I've been tempted to use the stainless steel bathroom handrails on my
cabintop. They are those handrails you see in Lowes or Home Depot,
pretty sturdy bent tubing with only two welds. How will they stand up
in a marine environment? They definitely long strong enough and mount
over a wide area. I just think the boat store handrails are
outrageously expensive and the bathroom ones a much less expensive and
even look better.

Nathan

You sure they
re just not plated? If they're plated they're going to pit and
score...why do you want metal handrails anyway? Why not some nice teak
rails..like most sailors have?

Katy is right. Try them with a magnet and if it sticks to them keep clear.
There are various specifications around for 'stainless' steel and the only
ones that ought to be on your boat are non-magnetic.
There are loads of crap 'stainless' bolts, screws etc around.

Backstay, cheapo workmanship! Bob Crantz ASA 8 January 3rd 06 11:23 PM
El Cheapo GPS Receiver Wayne.B General 9 December 12th 05 01:05 PM
El Cheapo GPS Receiver Lord Reginald Smithers General 0 December 11th 05 05:49 PM