posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Backstay, cheapo workmanship!

http://www.beneteau-owners.com/library.nsf/5025893657b6939b852566fe00237033/ecd017fb6a6704d485256d080008feae!OpenDocument

During the haulout of my First 35s5 this year, I chose to replace the poor
backstay adjuster the boat came with, and I replaced it with a Navtec
Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster. (See photos below). I had the mast removed and
inspected. For those interested, I also took this opportunity to replace the
fore and back stays and also moved up one size, (3/8 inch forestay and 7/32
backstay). I also replaced all swaged fittings with Norseman fittings. All
pins were replaced with proper fitting ones. To my surprise and to that of
the rigger, many of the pins were smaller than the holes, and this improper
fit created premature wear in the pins. I also added Norseman Backstay
insulators to create an antenna for the Single Sideband/HAM Radio. All the
discontinuous rods were disassembled and dye tested for wear. An expensive
process, but well worth it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Bob Crantz wrote:
[...]

I see that it is wire at least but what a silly system.
Since the entire rig is 15 years old or so it should probably all be
replaced or very well inspected.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

see that it is wire at least but what a silly system.
Since the entire rig is 15 years old or so it should probably all be
replaced or very well inspected.

My rig was judged to be "In excellent condition with new fittings. Rod
rigging is as new."
Compared to a better Navtec adjuster I guess you could call the simple
version "poor."

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Gary" wrote in message

I see that it is wire at least but what a silly system.
Since the entire rig is 15 years old or so it should probably all be
replaced or very well inspected.

Good Grief Gary.... rigging should be inspected annually.... but in no way
should have to be replaced after 15 years if no faults are found. For
instance..... my boat was sailed only 4 months a year for 10 years in the
Northwest Territories, so the actual use of the rigging, removed annually
and stored ... was minimal. my rigging is original..... it shows no undue
wear and is oversized for the vessel anyway. When in the water , I tune and
check my rig tension on a weekly basis. You'd be surprised how temperature
can affect the tension.

Regardless... the rod rigging on Bob's boat is a failure in progress.
Especially since Bob has no clue on how to maintain it to it's proposed
efficiency. Rod Rigging on a 35s5 is like putting a Rolls Royce grill on a
Volkswagen.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

3/8" headstay on a 35 footer. That should last.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

3/8" headstay on a 35 footer. That should last.

Can you find any rod rigging failures for the 35s5 over the last 17
years or so???
Oh....

RB
35s5
NY

El Cheapo GPS Receiver Wayne.B General 9 December 12th 05 01:05 PM
El Cheapo GPS Receiver Lord Reginald Smithers General 0 December 11th 05 05:49 PM