posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default TV Guide - don't give them a credit card

Because no matter how many times you cancel your subscription, and no matter
how many years go by, they will continue to bill your card every year or so.
My guess is they are hoping a $59 charge will escape the eye on a monthly
statement. Guess I'll have to close the credit card account to make it go
away.
Seems like unscrupulous behavior. Can you imagine?
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scout wrote:
Because no matter how many times you cancel your subscription, and no matter
how many years go by, they will continue to bill your card every year or so.
My guess is they are hoping a $59 charge will escape the eye on a monthly
statement. Guess I'll have to close the credit card account to make it go
away.
Seems like unscrupulous behavior. Can you imagine?
Scout

Yeah...I can..it's not just TV Guide...and it's even worse if it happens
when you used your debit card..
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Feb 22, 5:57 am, "Scout" wrote:
Because no matter how many times you cancel your subscription, and no matter
how many years go by, they will continue to bill your card every year or so.
My guess is they are hoping a $59 charge will escape the eye on a monthly
statement. Guess I'll have to close the credit card account to make it go
away.
Seems like unscrupulous behavior. Can you imagine?

According to current "business ethics" this is only unscrupulous if
they stop sending you the magazine and continue billing your card. Not
saying I approve, only what is widely considered ethical in today's
world.

You should contact your credit card company and find out if they
consider this is an unauthorized charge. They should accept some
evidence, without it being a burden to you, that you have tried to
cancel this subscription. If they place too much burden on you to
prove you didn't authorize this bill, then you should cancel that card
anyway.

Credit card companies go in cycles, unfortunately. My current bank
Mastercharge will take my say-so, over the telephone, as evidence that
I did not authorize a charge. This includes returning defective goods.
Unfortunately I have had to make use of this policy a few times over
the past few years.... previously I had another card with a company
just as obliging, but they changed their policy and I eventually
cancelled it.

Katysails is right, this is one area where you are better off using a
credit than a debit card. Currently, companies extending credit do so
at their risk but if an unscrupulous company or person gets hold of
your debit card # they can clean you out. This is one reason why so
many businesses push to get you use a debit card, putting your money
at risk, rather than a credit card which puts their money at risk.

BTW there are many sales outfits for more expensive goods.... like a
car, for instance.... that will not accept a credit card for a
purchase because of warranty issues.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
Scout wrote:
Because no matter how many times you cancel your subscription, and no matter
how many years go by, they will continue to bill your card every year or so.
My guess is they are hoping a $59 charge will escape the eye on a monthly
statement. Guess I'll have to close the credit card account to make it go
away.
Seems like unscrupulous behavior. Can you imagine?
Scout

There was some travel magazine that used to do that... billed me over
and over every couple of months. Finally, I called the corp
headquarters, asked for the office of the president. Then it stopped.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

There was some travel magazine that used to do that...

billed me over
and over every couple of months. Finally, I called the

corp
headquarters, asked for the office of the president. Then

it stopped.

You netkopped a magazine?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

There was some travel magazine that used to do that...

billed me over
and over every couple of months. Finally, I called the

corp
headquarters, asked for the office of the president. Then

it stopped.

You netkopped a magazine?

Yeah, now they send me hate mail, late-night phone calls, etc. I had to call
the sheriff. g

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Shady Billing Practices of IMIS Insurance Geoff Schultz Cruising 46 July 6th 04 04:44 PM
WARNING, Permanent residence card Wim Cruising 20 December 1st 03 11:17 PM
FAQ: Surviving Usenet: A Guide for the Earnest Newcomer Joe Parsons General 15 October 22nd 03 07:30 AM