posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

DSK wrote:

JimC wrote:

Doug, read the damn note a little more carefully before you pop off
like that. Those comments were quotes from owners of Mac 26Ms
expressing their own opinions of their own boats, posted here by me to
give the OP some idea of what other 26M owners thought about the boat.

No quote attributions, sorry. I'm not a mind reader.

And your statements were quite clear. I only object to the ones that are
also quite wrong.

The quotes were segregated between dashed lines. I would have thought
that my lead in introduction, copied below, would have given you a hint.

Jim

Carl,

FYI, here are some comments from some guys who have actually bought (and
sailed) a Mac 26M, when asked what they thought about the boat and
whether they would buy the same boat again:

If the clock could be turned back, would you buy again? - Yes,she's a
great versatile boat that offers great options on sailing or powering. I
posted to alt.sailing.asa

What does this prove? Here's some more quotes about the
mac26Xm.

''John ''wrote....the Mac 26 is the flimsiest, ugliest POS
I've ever seen.

''JrJelly'' wrote.....the hull oil cans like a cheap screen
door. I'd be afraid to sail one of those anywhere but in my
pool.

"BFCrede" wrote..... buy a MacGregor 26? Don't make me
laugh!

" tommyGun'' wrote....(Mac26) worse boat in history

''BlueWaterBoy'' wrote.... while looking at the Mac 26 , it
was all I could do to not heave on the dam thing .

''KeViN'' wrote..... don't waste your money on a Magreger
26. It's not a sailboat and it's not a power boat. It's just
plain awfull!

"JimC" wrote in message
Doug, read the damn note a little more carefully before

you pop off like
that. Those comments were quotes from owners of Mac 26Ms

expressing
their own opinions of their own boats, posted here by me

to give the OP
some idea of what other 26M owners thought about the boat.

My own
opinions, posted over and over again, have been that the

Macs have good
and bad points and are not suited for everyone or for

every intended
use, but that there ought to be a little more balance in

some of the
discussions of the Mac. - What do you expect me to do? -

Track down
those Mac owners and tell them that they don't know what

they are
talking about and that they ought to apologize and issue a

retraction of
their comments? Apparently, the thought that some Mac

owners like their
boats and enjoy sailing them drives you up a wall.

Jim

DSK wrote:
JimC wrote:

The boat's best features: Sailing ability.She sails as

well as any
boat costing double the price I have sailed on.

Glad you added the qualifier of boats that *you* have

sailed.

I don't mean this to be insulting, but it is a fact that

the Mac26X and
successor the -M are slow, especially to windward. There

are many boats
that are cheaper which will sail rings around it.

Of course, JimC won't admit that, and he doesn't have to

because he
himself hasn't sailed any of them. I have.

The 26M is a practical fun boat that can be used for

serious sailing
without the major costs involved.

It is a practical fun boat that can have sails hoisted.

The boat's best features: She doesn't pound in 3 foot

rollers at
speeds of 14- 16 mph.

???

... She will sail well with just the main.

She won't sail "well" ever, unless you like going slow &

steering poorly.

.... There is something to be said about going to

Catalina and
arriving 2 or 3 hours ahead of the fastest sail boats

out there.

???

"Which "fastest" sailboats are these? Considering that

there are boats
which break 20 knots regularly, making this claim shows

your limited
knowledge & experience (or mendacity, depending).

...It will heel quite easily to 15-20 degrees, but at

this point, it
starts to lift the water ballast tank out of the water

and so stiffens
up and does not heel much more.

Physics isn't your strong suit, is it Jim? "Lifting the

water ballast
tank" has nothing to do with the boats stability. The

water ballast
tank, when full, lowers the boat's senter of gravity.

Gravity doesn't know or care if the water ballst tank is

"lifted above
the waterline."

Th "lifting above the waterline" effect of water ballast

has been stated
often, since the beginning of water ballasted boats, by

a bunch of
ignorant blowhards. I guess you believed it.

I have read many things on the web against the

macgregor. Frankly i
don't know what the _____ they are talking about.

Yep

The boat's best features: Easy to sail and forgiving,

excellent
handling under power. Mast raising system is as

advertised and a
pleasure. While rigging is neither arduous or

difficult, it is time
consuming, but not an issue for me since I keep the

vessel in a slip.
The vessel is comfortable for our use, which tends to

two adults and
(occasionally) a grandson.

I am glad that you like your boat Jim, and have a great

time with her.
It shows that you have chosen well.

But your remarks about the boat's sailing performance

are just plain
wrong, but it doesn't matter if you yourself are content

with the boat's
performance. But one might wonder why you feel the need

to either lie or
remain ignorant of what other boats are capable of.

We've had a number of friends with these boats, and they

have all been
happy with them. However they also moved on (as we did

too, from a
trailerable). I wish you many happy days aboard your

vessel.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
CJH CJH is offline

DSK wrote:

But he won't do more sailing than any other trailerable sailboat, he'll
just go slower and have a harder time steering. Why do people have to
act like the Mac26 is the *only* trailerable sailboat?

Sorry, just catching up. I couldn't find my thread. No I haven't
joined the cult just yet. There are too many things to consider and
will have analysis paralysis for a while. So what are the
recommendations for other trailerable sailboats suitable for a family of
four as described in my initial post. If I carry a dingey with motor my
kids would be satiated. Don't worry about tow weight too much, F-350 SD
Diesel can pull quite a bit. I don't want to break the bank on my first
boat. I have some experience but would like to cut my teeth for 2-3
years and then break the bank.

Carl

posted to alt.sailing.asa
CJH CJH is offline

Thanks Jim. Interesting comments.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Two questions Sotty:

(1) What percentage of those comments relate to the current Macs (the 26M)?

(2) How many of the quotes were from individuals who had actually
sailed the Mac, and in particular, the 26M?

(Helpful hint: Since you won't have any substantive answers, just avoid
answering the questions. - Post some more propaganda.)

Jim

DSK wrote:

JimC wrote:

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message
et...
Sounds like you did a good Cherry-Picking job Sotty.

As did you.

In any event, they are lots of fun to sail.

I'm sure they are, under the right conditions.

Scotty

&

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message
et...
Two questions Sotty:

(1) What percentage of those comments relate to the

current Macs (the 26M)?

100%

5

(Helpful hint: Since you won't have any substantive

answers, just avoid
answering the questions. - Post some more propaganda.)

You first.

Scotty

DSK wrote:

JimC wrote:

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I would suggest you check out
http://www.trailersailor.com/
A really great site for trailersailors.

Scotty

"CJH" wrote in message
DSK wrote:

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
et...

Two questions Sotty:

(1) What percentage of those comments relate to the

current Macs (the 26M)?

100%

Let me be a little more specific. - What percentage of them were
specifically referring to the Mac 26M.

(Don't forget that it's a sin to tell a lie Sotty.)

(2) How many of the quotes were from individuals who had

actually

sailed the Mac, and in particular, the 26M?

5

Do you have any evidence for this ridiculous statement Sotty? Like
comments about when and where they sail the 26M, under what
circumstances, what motor they use, what accessories they added, and
why they bought a Mac 26M (if they did), etc.

(Helpful hint: Since you won't have any substantive

answers, just avoid

answering the questions. - Post some more propaganda.)

You first.

Scotty

Actually, I posted quotes from owners of Mac 26M's who sailed the Mac
26M as their primary vessel. - You didn't. What's worse is that you
won't admit it.

Jim

y wrote:

[...]

. com...