posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

JimC wrote:
lid wrote:

Funny, I've been looking at the MacGregor for a while now as a potential
purchase. I would really like a sail boat but the family wants a power
boat. I occasionally sail on a friends 1929(?) wood hull sailboat and
that is the life for me. My family likes our other friends 21 ft
Chris-Craft.

It seems to me that sailors don't like it because it's not a "real"
sailboat. Powerboaters don't like it because it isn't a "real" power
boat and then there are those with them who more or less seem to like
them. I have heard some say it bobs like a cork under sail and that the
hull is weak.

Certainly there are compromises made just like an enduro will never be a
great dirt bike or a great road bike but, it has it's place. The
question is, how is the MacGregor? I'd like to do coastal sailing in
Southern California. I probably would never venture farther than
Catalina or the channel islands. I'd also like to sail some of the
lakes like havasu, Powell, etc. so the trailerability of the MacGregor
is appealing. Family of 4 up to 1 week trips once or twice a year. I
wouldn't consider myself the fair weather type; as skills progress I'd
sail year around in as much weather as the ship and her captain are
capable of.

Opinions?
Carl

Carl,

FYI, here are some comments from some guys who have actually bought (and
sailed) a Mac 26M, when asked what they thought about the boat and
whether they would buy the same boat again:

If the clock could be turned back, would you buy again? - Yes,she's a
great versatile boat that offers great options on sailing or powering. I
have towed the kids with a tube and the Mac behaves well. All my sailing
so far, has been on the Mediterranean with light winds in the morning
and a heavier in the afternoon.She sails well in both conditions. I was
caught out in a 25knot wind and motored back through the chop.No problems

The boat's best features: Sailing ability.She sails as well as any boat
costing double the price I have sailed on. The kids love powering more
than sailing though. Good interior for short stays.All maintance can be
carried out by the owner which saves a lot on repair bills.There are
plenty of helpful owners out there willing to help with problems. There
is nothing complicated about the boat regarding hardware and design.

The 26M is a practical fun boat that can be used for serious sailing
without the major costs involved.

The boat's best features: She doesn't pound in 3 foot rollers at speeds
of 14- 16 mph. She will sail well with just the main. Lots of room in
the cabin. easy to sail and adjust for heavy air. will make the 35 miles
to catalina in 2 and a half hours under power. She feels safe and
comfortable when sailing. Looking at the boat you would guess that the
freeboard would be concern as to boarding a dingy. but if you go off the
stern and use the engine as a seat to swing into the dingy this works
perfect. right height and very stable.

Fun fun fun. That's what she was made for plain and simple. Not a world
cruiser - a day sailor, a very good day sailor. The MacGregor seems to
upset the snob sailor a bit there is very little respect from the true
sailor out there, but the boat is a hybrid and does its job well. There
is something to be said about going to Catalina and arriving 2 or 3
hours ahead of the fastest sail boats out there. And then enjoying the 7
hour sail back as a good sailor. I like mine, don't care what others
think and will be out there as much as possible please say hi when the
"A GUST A" sails near you.

I posted a review just after I bought this boat. I have now had it two
years and thought reviewing it again with experience might be
interesting. Yes, I would definitely buy this boat again. I now sail
solo some of the time; my regular crew, my father in law, passed away
last summer, but he had no trouble handling the boat at 84.

The boat's best features: Versatility. Once you get used to it, she is
a very reassuring boat. It will heel quite easily to 15-20 degrees, but
at this point, it starts to lift the water ballast tank out of the water
and so stiffens up and does not heel much more. Versatility also extends
to sailing - it handles well with just the main, and will also go well
with the jib. Strong following wind and sea = no main, use genoa - this
allows you to sail comfortably at 135 degrees from the wind. The genoa
is pulling upwards, so reduces pitching; no danger of gybing, and much
less yawing as the drive from the sails is well forward. I have also
achieved 3-4 knots on a reach with just one third of the genoa and no
main - we actually measured both up and down the river to be able to
deduct the tide from this. In anything from F4 and above, I have
generally found that reducing sail area quite a lot e.g. taking the
genoa in leaving just the main will only lose about 1 knot of speed, or
using my smaller main BUT make the boat a much smoother sail. We did
make one trip, under motor only, which turned out to be a F7. Because of
our particular bit of coast - shallow water and a long fetch, we get
very short steep waves. The lightness of the Macgregor shows then, and
even at 3 knots you can be taking off the tops of some of the waves. She
still felt safe.

The boat's best features: The nice sailing spots in the bay are far
from where I keep the boat. The 26 M's flexibility enables me to shorten
an 8 hour cruise to 4 hours.

I have read many things on the web against the macgregor. Frankly i
don't know what the _____ they are talking about. I could not imagine
having any other boat. I love her and if i would have had her 20 years
ago I would of never gotten married.

If the clock could be turned back, would you buy again? - Yes. This is
a 2005 MacGregor purchased middle of 2004. Most definitely would
purchase again. Vessel purchased with roller furling on 150 jenny; lazy
jacks; main halyard led aft; bimini; other less consequential amenities.
Gear that's been added: Uniden VHF with WHAM; Depth sounder; Garmin
276C GPS; shore power; LCD TV; mini microwave/convection oven.
Structural or complex improvements: Added shore power.

The boat's best features: Easy to sail and forgiving, excellent
handling under power. Mast raising system is as advertised and a
pleasure. While rigging is neither arduous or difficult, it is time
consuming, but not an issue for me since I keep the vessel in a slip.
The vessel is comfortable for our use, which tends to two adults and
(occasionally) a grandson.

Many of us simply dont care what we look like to other people so a
Mac26 would be great. In fact, I think it looks OK compared to the
Morgan OI series and compared to the Beneteaus. For the sake of people
like "Ellen", I always leave my fenders down until I get out the
channel and away from others cuz it drives some people nutso.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:

Jim... fyi, Ellen=Neal

What's he trying to prove?

Jim
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote
| Capt. JG wrote:
| Ellen=Neal

| What's he trying to prove?

You think Capt. JG knows what he's talking about? Heheheheheheheheheh! No wonder
lawyers get a bad name...... Why don't you be a good lawyer and ask him for proof?

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

He's trying to be clever I suppose.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

Jim... fyi, Ellen=Neal

What's he trying to prove?

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

JimC wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:

Jim... fyi, Ellen=Neal

What's he trying to prove?

I don't know, but he's been doing the female impersonation thing off and
on for at least 7 years. It's about as convincing as Donald Rumsfeld in
a dress.

//Walt

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

JimC wrote:
The boat's best features: Sailing ability.She sails as well as any boat
costing double the price I have sailed on.

Glad you added the qualifier of boats that *you* have sailed.

I don't mean this to be insulting, but it is a fact that the
Mac26X and successor the -M are slow, especially to
windward. There are many boats that are cheaper which will
sail rings around it.

Of course, JimC won't admit that, and he doesn't have to
because he himself hasn't sailed any of them. I have.

The 26M is a practical fun boat that can be used for serious sailing
without the major costs involved.

It is a practical fun boat that can have sails hoisted.

The boat's best features: She doesn't pound in 3 foot rollers at speeds
of 14- 16 mph.

???

... She will sail well with just the main.

She won't sail "well" ever, unless you like going slow &
steering poorly.

.... There
is something to be said about going to Catalina and arriving 2 or 3
hours ahead of the fastest sail boats out there.

???

"Which "fastest" sailboats are these? Considering that there
are boats which break 20 knots regularly, making this claim
shows your limited knowledge & experience (or mendacity,
depending).

...It will heel quite easily to 15-20 degrees, but
at this point, it starts to lift the water ballast tank out of the water
and so stiffens up and does not heel much more.

Physics isn't your strong suit, is it Jim? "Lifting the
water ballast tank" has nothing to do with the boats
stability. The water ballast tank, when full, lowers the
boat's senter of gravity.

Gravity doesn't know or care if the water ballst tank is
"lifted above the waterline."

Th "lifting above the waterline" effect of water ballast has
been stated often, since the beginning of water ballasted
boats, by a bunch of ignorant blowhards. I guess you
believed it.

I have read many things on the web against the macgregor. Frankly i
don't know what the _____ they are talking about.

Yep

The boat's best features: Easy to sail and forgiving, excellent
handling under power. Mast raising system is as advertised and a
pleasure. While rigging is neither arduous or difficult, it is time
consuming, but not an issue for me since I keep the vessel in a slip.
The vessel is comfortable for our use, which tends to two adults and
(occasionally) a grandson.

I am glad that you like your boat Jim, and have a great time
with her. It shows that you have chosen well.

But your remarks about the boat's sailing performance are
just plain wrong, but it doesn't matter if you yourself are
content with the boat's performance. But one might wonder
why you feel the need to either lie or remain ignorant of
what other boats are capable of.

We've had a number of friends with these boats, and they
have all been happy with them. However they also moved on
(as we did too, from a trailerable). I wish you many happy
days aboard your vessel.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Doug, read the damn note a little more carefully before you pop off like
that. Those comments were quotes from owners of Mac 26Ms expressing
their own opinions of their own boats, posted here by me to give the OP
some idea of what other 26M owners thought about the boat. My own
opinions, posted over and over again, have been that the Macs have good
and bad points and are not suited for everyone or for every intended
use, but that there ought to be a little more balance in some of the
discussions of the Mac. - What do you expect me to do? - Track down
those Mac owners and tell them that they don't know what they are
talking about and that they ought to apologize and issue a retraction of
their comments? Apparently, the thought that some Mac owners like their
boats and enjoy sailing them drives you up a wall.

Jim

DSK wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine was boat shopping once and I suggested several newer
boats that I would like and he replied "No, I want a good traditional
hull" to which I replied that "The bottom of the ocean is littered with
good traditional hulls". It amazes me that people like DSK will even
accept that new fangled fiberglass stuff instead of the old tried and
proven wood hulls.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

JimC wrote:
Doug, read the damn note a little more carefully before you pop off like
that. Those comments were quotes from owners of Mac 26Ms expressing
their own opinions of their own boats, posted here by me to give the OP
some idea of what other 26M owners thought about the boat.

No quote attributions, sorry. I'm not a mind reader.

And your statements were quite clear. I only object to the
ones that are also quite wrong.

... Apparently, the thought that some Mac owners like their
boats and enjoy sailing them drives you up a wall.

Of course it does, that's why I remarked that I was glad you
liked your boat and wished you many happy years with her.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
JimC wrote:

[...]

Last year in Orlando, I had an opportunity to climb all over a new Mac
that was up on jackstands and I was actually impressed at the attention
that went into making it strong while reducing weight. Contrast this
to many boats you see while walking the docks where they simply used
mass as a means to get strength, not very elegant. Some boats didnt
even do that. Look at the older (original) Hunters that really seemed
flimsy. Another example is the Irwins that quite frankly scared me to
sail on. Some of these older boats seemed as if they used clotehsline
instead of proper wire rigging. For being a compromise that is clearly
intended to be trailered all the time, I'd say the Mac is well done.