Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Pedantic Rules Quiz

For who might claim I'm picky about the rules, here's a quiz to show
what picky really means:

Capt. Neal posted a "Rules Lesson"

http://captneal.homestead.com/lessonnew1.html

where he said the following:

There are seven different classifications of vessels. EVERY vessel in
the entire world is classified as one of the following:

NUC
RAM
CBD
FISH
SAIL
POWER
SEAPLANE

How to remember?? How about this handy little saying: New Reels Catch
Fish So Purchase Several!

These seven different classifications are listed in what is often
referred to as the pecking order. A NUC has the right of way above all
the rest, while a seaplane is low man on the totem pole. Please note
that a sailing vessel is third from the bottom of the list. Despite
what many people think, a sailboat does NOT have the right of way in
many situations.
[snip meaning of terms, shapes, etc.]
See, so far it is not too difficult is it? You know how to identify
vessels and you know where you stand with respect to who is considered
the stand-on vessel and who is considered the give-way vessel. For
example, if you see a vessel while you are sailing and it is
displaying a black cylinder(CBD) in the rigging you know that you are
the give-way vessel. The only circumstance when you would be the stand
on vessel is if the CDB is overtaking you. Any vessel being overtaken
is always the stand-on vessel---unless. . .
[narrow channel and sailing rules follow]
[end of Neal's lesson]

Sound familiar? This is the classic "Pecking Order" that everyone
learns. However, there are two problems with it. I'm not talking
about the recent changes, or Neal's use of "right of way," or the
claim that it includes all boats. Actually, Neal does have a few
problems here, but it isn't anything about Neal's version, since most
pecking order presentations have the same two flaws that I'm looking
for. One of the issues is blatant, but not a situation that is likely
to occur often, the other is more subtle but actually happens
frequently. This is not a case that everyone's understanding of the
rules is flawed, or that you'll get into trouble following the pecking
order; its more that the rules don't actually say what you might think
they say.

Otn, JG, and other masters, don't give it away too quickly, I'd be a
bit disappointed if you didn't know this. Of course, probably no one
else cares.

What I find interseting... Scotty ASA 78 November 9th 06 02:12 AM
Rules of the Road: Does anyone care? [email protected] General 13 August 21st 05 12:07 AM
Rules History Quiz Jeff Morris ASA 15 February 11th 05 09:53 PM
Novice Lessons 9 - a reprint Simple Simon ASA 4 December 9th 03 05:10 PM