Simple Simon

Default Novice Lessons 9 - a reprint

Lesson 9 - FOR NOVICES ONLY

+++The Captain's Class of Basic Sailing Skills+++

Title--The Rules of the Road

Dear Novice Sailor,

Welcome to the ninth installment of the Captain's Class! For those of you who may not have gotten the word, all past lessons in the 'FOR NOVICES ONLY' series have been posted on their own web page and this most recent lesson soon will be. Simply click on the following link: www.homestead.com/captneal/index10.html and then click on the Novice Lessons links on the bottom of the page.

I have received some feedback on the previous lesson (lesson 8) which indicated to me that some thought I was being too philosophical and not practical enough. Fair enough. I shall make amends by discussing the Rules of the Road. These Rules are anything but philosophical. They are straightforward, specific and practical, and cover every possible contingency. EVERY sailor, whether they are novice, intermediate, or expert should know them well.

It has become painfully obvious to me because of a recent thread in alt.sailing.asa that even those subscribers who claim to be experienced sailors are confused. One individual even said that every freighter in a channel was a RAM. Not so! You will learn why in this lesson.You will also learn the other classifications of vessels and how each relates to the other with respect to who is the stand-on vessel and who is the give-way vessel. This lesson for novices is actually a lesson for all. Being a United States Coast Guard licensed Master, I have studied for, taken and passed rigorous testing which ensures that I know of which I speak concerning the Rules of the Road. Any score under 90% on the Coast Guard test is a failing score. It just so happens that my score was 100%. You did not expect anything less from the Captain, did you?

I shall attempt to present this lesson in a logical order and I shall keep it as simple as possible so even the likes of Ganz and King might comprehend. If I speak on their level, you novices should be able to follow easily.

Before you know how the Rules apply to you, you must know your standing in the pecking order of vessels. You also must have an understanding of what the initials of the classes of vessels actually mean.

There are seven different classifications of vessels. For the purposes of the Rules EVERY vessel in the entire world is classified as one of the following:

NUC
RAM
CBD
FISH
SAIL
POWER
SEAPLANE

How to remember?? How about this handy little saying: New Reels Catch Fish So Purchase Several!

These seven different classifications are listed in what is often referred to as the pecking order. A NUC has the right of way above all the rest, while a seaplane is low man on the totem pole. Please note that a sailing vessel is third from the bottom of the list. Despite what many people think, a sailboat does NOT have the right of way in many situations.

"But, Capt. Neal, what do all those initials stand for?"

NUC----Not Under Command
RAM----Restricted in its Ability to Maneuver
CBD----Constrained By Draft
FISH---Fishing
SAIL-----Sailing
POWER---Using machinery to progress.
SEAPLANE--An airplane that lands and takes off on the water.

"Please, Capt. Sir, explain in a little more detail."

No problem, good people!

NUC, or Not Under Command means that there is some exceptional circumstance that handicaps the vessel. Some examples would be such things as a broken rudder or steering system, shifted cargo that dramatically affects the trim, engine or hydraulics down, etc.

RAM, or Restricted in her Ability to Maneuver. The key to this classification is the term, 'by the nature of her work.' A vessel dredging, a Coast Guard vessel working on buoys or day marks, a fishing vessel trawling or pulling nets, a vessel engaged in diving operations or a vessel towing are all examples of a RAM. A freighter proceeding up a channel is not a RAM.

CBD, or Constrained By Daft, (international Rules only) means a power-driven vessel--not sailing vessels, that because of her draft, cannot deviate out of a channel.

FISH, or Fishing, means a vessel actively engaged in fishing. By fishing we mean using nets or trawls. Trolling or fishing off the deck with poles is not fishing.

SAIL, or sailing means operating under sail and sail alone. If you are using your motor and have your sails up you are considered a motor boat.

POWER, or motor boat, means operating your motor.

SEAPLANE, that's obvious.

"But, Capt. Neal, how are we supposed to know by looking at a vessel what classification they fit into?"

That's a very good question and it's not too difficult to answer. You must learn day shapes and light configurations at night. Vessels are required by the Rules to identify themselves, night and day in order that other vessels may know how to treat them.

NUC is identified by two black balls in the day and two red lights one over the other at night.

RAM is identified by day by a black ball, a black diamond, and a black ball one over the other and at night it displays a red light over a white light over another red light.

CDB by day displays a black cylinder and at night, three red lights one over the other.

FISH by day, if less than 20 meters, can have a basket in the rigging, or greater than 20 meters it should display two black triangles with apexes touching and either a red over white or a green over white light (trawling) at night.

SAIL by day is identified by her sails and at night her regular running lights. (Note: if you are operating by day under both sail and power, you are required to identify yourself as power boat by displaying an upside down black triangle shape in the rigging and by night you need to be operating with your running lights and masthead light on.)

POWER by the day is identified by a lack of any day shape and at night by her regular running lights.

SEAPLANE, who cares?

See, so far it is not too difficult is it? You know how to identify vessels and you know where you stand with respect to who is considered the stand-on vessel and who is considered the give-way vessel. For example, if you see a vessel while you are sailing and it is displaying a black cylinder(CBD) in the rigging you know that you are the give-way vessel. The only circumstance when you would be the stand on vessel is if the CDB is overtaking you. Any vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel---unless. . .

Narrow channels have their own special set of rules. Here is that list:

Less than 20 meters in length
Sailing
Fishing
Crossing

In other words ANY vessel less than 20 meters in length shall not impede traffic in a narrow channel, nor shall any sailing vessel, or any fishing vessel, or any vessel crossing the channel.

Let's say you have favorable winds and are sailing up a channel. You are right in the center and a large freighter is gaining on you from behind. The freighter gives the appropriate whistle signal indicating it wishes to pass. What should you do? Should you hold your course because you are the stand-on vessel? Negative! Normally that would be correct but the rules are different in a narrow channel. If you stood on, you would be impeding the freighter and the narrow channel rules say that you cannot impede. The correct action would be to return the appropriate signal and move over in the direction away from that which the whistle signal of the freighter indicated he intends to pass.

The same thing applies if you are sailing across a narrow channel. The Rules say you cannot impede ANY other vessel operating in the channel while doing so. So the next time you are sailing across that narrow channel and a power boat is coming up or going down the channel, you are the give-way vessel. If you sail right across his bow and he blows the horn and flips you off, don't get mad at him for YOU are the one who is wrong and acted dangerously and irresponsibly.

Not many of us, besides yours truly, have the opportunity to use the above rules on day to day basis so they are sometimes forgotten. If you are serious about sailing you should review them every so often so, in case the situation arises, you will be prepared to act correctly.
The following list of rules are of more immediate concern to most of you novices. These rules concern how two sailing vessels should act in meeting, crossing, and passing situations.

1) If the wind is attacking the starboard rail of the sailboat, it is said to be on a starboard tack. The rules state simply: Starboard tack has the right of way over port tack.

2) When both vessels are on the same tack, the upwind vessel gives way.

3) A sailboat on a port tack, not being sure of tack of the other sailboat (fog or darkness), shall give way.

Three simple rules and they cover it all. You should know these rules in your sleep.
(Don't forget, however, that a vessel being overtaken is always the stand-on vessel)

Now, combine these rules with a working knowledge of the ones listed prior to these and you should have a very good basic understanding of how to carry on while sailing.

You have my permission to print this lesson. As a matter of fact, I encourage you all to print a copy and keep it aboard your vessel as a quick reference. You are not likely to find a better guide at any price.

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff Morris

OOOPs! Just noticed a third blunder in the pecking order section (actually the
transition to "narrow channels").

BTW, these are not subtle points - these are places where Neal explicitly claims
a vessel is stand-on or give-way, when it is simply not true. If you wonder
where people get strange ideas about the rules, you need only look at Neal's
crap.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Why are you worried about typos? He has two outright blunders in the pecking
order alone!

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Watchout for those typos!!

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news Lesson 9 - FOR NOVICES ONLY

+++The Captain's Class of Basic Sailing Skills+++

snip

Jonathan Ganz

I'm just trying to be helpful.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Why are you worried about typos? He has two outright blunders in the

pecking
order alone!

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Watchout for those typos!!

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news Lesson 9 - FOR NOVICES ONLY

+++The Captain's Class of Basic Sailing Skills+++

snip

What is a good dual-beam transducer -wide-view transducer- for salt water? (novice) Guy Electronics 0 March 23rd 04 11:38 AM
summer camp for adults with canoe lessons Te Canaille Touring 0 January 19th 04 03:12 PM
Novice question on finishing Gary Gabriele Boat Building 3 September 23rd 03 12:55 AM
Seattle Lessons? Ken Moffat General 2 August 7th 03 04:05 AM
Lessons from a capsize Ki Ayker Touring 4 July 5th 03 02:38 AM