posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question #38

What is the difference between "faking" and "flaking'?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

too easy, I bet even Ellen knows.

"Bart" .@. wrote in message
What is the difference between "faking" and "flaking'?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
What is the difference between "faking" and "flaking'?

Just a few weeks ago I took my family to the Hull Lifesaving Museum, a
little gem of a museum near Boston dedicated to preserving the
lifesaving tradition.

http://www.lifesavingmuseum.org/index.html

They have on display a life saving wagon including gear such as a Lyle
Gun, a faking box, a Breeches Buoy, etc. They don't have a good
picture of it, but here's a similar museum in Ohio:

http://www.nightbeacon.com/zmaritime...ime_Museum.htm

The faking box can be seen in the lower right picture, a set of spokes
sticking up. The full box has spokes around the periphery, and you
can wind up about a third of a mile of string, to be shot out to a
wreck by the Lyle Gun.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote
| too easy, I bet even Ellen knows.

Hee hee! We both were thinking the same thing....
Every woman knows how to fake it... There's just not enough men who make it unnecessary. :-)

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Correct. 1 point for Dave.

Have you seen triple coils used for line? What seems to work best is the
taper the size of the loops as you build our three coils.

"Dave" wrote

"Bart" .@. said:

What is the difference between "faking" and "flaking'?

To fake a line, you make figure 8 turns one on top of another so when the
line runs it runs free and isn't twisted coming off the heap. Essentially
the same thing you do when you take in braided line in lieu of coiling it.

Flaking is laying material or line in waves one on top of or beside the
other--what you do with your sail on the top of the boom. Could also be
done to line on deck.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote

"Bart" .@. said:
Have you seen triple coils used for line? What seems to work best is the
taper the size of the loops as you build our three coils.

Never have. The place we used to use faking was in laying down a 4 point
mooring for diving. You laid the 4 anchors in a square pattern, and then
ran
a 5" nylon line out to each using the motor whale boat. The line had to go
in the MWB because the MWB wouldn't be able to haul it out if the line
were
faked on the ship's deck. With the line in the MWB the drag didn't change
perceptibly as you got further from the ship.

MWB? Middle Weight Boxer?