posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default My seamanship question # 7

It's me again with another question about the colregs. This time I'll explain it clear as a bell.
I thought about it a lot. I even made a little sketch on paper. I don't wanna see a single complaint
about it, ya hear? ;-)
Two sailboats are sailing north along a weather shore. The shoreline's straight as an arrow.
Both boats are sailing exactly parallel to the shore. The wind's straight outta the west. That
means the shoreline's on the port side of the boats. It means both boats are on the port tack.
Boat #1 is ahead of Boat #2. Boat #2's a little farther away from the shore so he's downwind.
But, not much. Maybe half the beam of boat #1. But, Boat #1 is still upwind.
Boat #2's gaining. He's near enough to boat #1 that it's an overtaking situation. Since he's
overtaking he must give way. Or, maybe not....
Since both boats are on the same tack the boat to weather must give way, right? Boat #1's to
weather so Boat #1 must give way.
Two different answers. One for one rule and the other for another rule. The question is
what rule applies? If you follow the sailing rule 12 then your ignoring the overtaking rule 13. If
you follow the overtaking rule 13 then your ignoring sailing rule 12.
How do you decide which has priority? Since sailboats have a specific rule all their own
shouldn't it be followed first. Or since rule 13 is for *all* boats shouldn't it be followed first.
Laws are usually applied from the general to the specific. Specific has the last word.
Dilemma?

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote
| What dilemma? Rule 13 makes it pretty clear when it starts:
| "Notwithstanding anything contained..." that it takes priority.

Damn! So that's what that means.... Funny how I read that but it just didn't register.
Thanks for being nice about it.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

It's me again with another question about the colregs.

This time I'll explain it clear as a bell.
I thought about it a lot. I even made a little sketch on

paper. I don't wanna see a single complaint
about it, ya hear? ;-)
Two sailboats are sailing north along a weather

shore.

True North or Magnetic North?

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote
| True North or Magnetic North?

:-)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hahahahaaaaa ... the other north.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

It's me again with another question about the colregs.

This time I'll explain it clear as a bell.
I thought about it a lot. I even made a little sketch on

paper. I don't wanna see a single complaint
about it, ya hear? ;-)
Two sailboats are sailing north along a weather

shore.

True North or Magnetic North?

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It's certainly clear that you have no clue. There's nothing particularly
confusing about this situation. Try reading Rule 13 again and again until
you get it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[...]

[...]