Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hi Tech sails flying....sort of!!!!

Well....I knew bad weather was coming this afternoon, so I headed out
to the yard at 7:00 am to get the genoa up and finish with the main. It
went smoothly of course and at 9:30 am after breakfast I took the boat
out on my own, hoping for some breeze to test the sails together.
Naturally there was NO WIND AT ALL. When I say no wind, I'm talking
about a J24 and C&C 37 sitting immobile. With the main up (I had
tensioned the battens and eased the outhaul) nothing was happening. I
let the boat drift, and soon a small breeze, about 3 knots, came up. I
unrolled the genoa and the boat slid away. Catching the same breeze the
J24 was right behind me. The C&C 37 was stuck, sails flopping. It
wasn't much of a sail, but quiet, peaceful. I managed to keep her
moving put some distance between Heart of Gold and the J24.
After two hours I headed back. More wind was coming, but I promised
Thomas some pumpkins! When I got back my friends on the Sweden 39 and
the Vindo 40 said the boat looked stunning with her dark sails up. Of
course I already knew that! HEAVY winds predicted for tomorrow, so I
hope to get some nice video clips.
Here's the main (Most of the pentax-mylar jib is blocked) catching
little or no wind.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/imag...ck35s5weby.jpg

So once again, you all thought I was trolling. But the kevlar and
pentax-Mylar sails are on the boat as promised. The hoist is fine and
Sloco is busted for the 155432nd time.
And Thomas had a blast picking out pumpkins! At least some of you are
human enough to enjoy this clip....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e0AZ4D81fkY

Cheers everyone...I'm off to meet friends for dinner at The Black
Whale....

RB
35s5
NY

Not all offshore tech support sux JR North General 0 February 6th 06 09:01 PM
Evaluating old sails [email protected] General 17 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Tech. Info. Anchoring-Sails-Soundproofing-Weather-Paint charts Mic Cruising 0 December 8th 05 01:50 AM
Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM