posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bush Does the Right Thing

Bush Seeks to Block Enemies From Space
By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush has signed an order asserting the United States'
right to deny adversaries access to space for hostile purposes.

Bush also said the United States would oppose the development of treaties or
other restrictions that seek to prohibit or limit U.S. access to or use of
space.

The provisions were contained in the first revision of U.S. space policy in
nearly 10 years. Bush's order, signed more than a month ago, was not
publicly announced although unclassified details of his decision were posted
on the Web site of the Office of Science and Technology Policy.

"Freedom of action in space is as important to the United States as air
power and sea power," the policy says. "In order to increase knowledge,
discovery, economic prosperity, and to enhance the national security, the
United States must have robust, effective, and efficient space
capabilities."

The policy says that space systems should have rights of passage without
interference, and that the United States would view any deliberate
interference with its space systems as an infringement on its rights.

"The United States considers space capabilities -- including the ground and
space segments and supporting links -- vital to its national interests," the
policy said.

"Consistent with this policy, the United States will: preserve its rights,
capabilities, and freedom of action in space; dissuade or deter others from
either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so;
take those actions necessary to protect its space capabilities; respond to
interference; and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space
capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

The White House said the policy does not call for the development or
deployment of weapons in space.

"This policy emphasizes that the United States is committed to peaceful uses
of space by all nations and that space systems enjoy the right of free
passage," National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones said.

He said the United States maintains the right of self-defense and the
protection of its interests and assets in space.

"Protection of space assets does not imply some sort of forceful action," he
said. "There is a broad range of ways to protect our space capabilities"
such as system hardening, encryption, maneuvering and other methods.

"The new policy is consistent with previous national space policies in this
regard," he said.

Jones said the challenges and threats facing the United States have changed
in the decade since the space policy was last updated.

"Technology advances have increased the importance of and use of space," he
said. "Now,, we depend on space capabilities for things like: ATMs, personal
navigation, package tracking, radio services, and cell phone use."

The new policy was first reported by The Washington Post.

___

On the Net:

Office of Science and Space Technology: http://www.ostp.gov/

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And, he won't really have to worry about the Democrats taking over
Congress...

http://www.crisispapers.org/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Not if you listen to the kooks. The liberals are already
planning the fallback strategy for the case in which they
don't win back the house--calling it election fraud.

Heck, the election hasn't even happened yet. How can
Ernest Partridge cite fraud?

Let me ask you this. What does it mean if the
Democrats don't win back the house?

I'll tell you. It means the majority of American's don't
want a party that has no plan, and nothing offer
except bashing the other side.

The Democrats don't have a policy on Immigration,
except amnesty, don't have a plan for the war, except
run and hide like the French.

"It's not that Liberals are ignorant, it's just they know so
much that isn't so" - Ronald Reagan

Capt. JG wrote:
And, he won't really have to worry about the Democrats taking over
Congress...

http://www.crisispapers.org/

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I think you should have your congressman introduce an amendment to the
constitution changing the phrases French Fries and French Toast to Freedom
Fries and Freedom Toast. I'm sure that's the level of sophistication
appropriate to the right-wingnuts and 49-51 percent of the voting public, if
you couch it in terms of the war on terror. So far as I can tell, that's the
kind of planning and execution the right-wingnuts are good at. Perhaps you
can also have him add a rider removing Habeas Corpus. Oh wait, that already
happened.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
And, he won't really have to worry about the Democrats taking over
Congress...

http://www.crisispapers.org/

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
I think you should have your congressman introduce an amendment to the
constitution changing the phrases French Fries and French Toast to Freedom
Fries and Freedom Toast. I'm sure that's the level of sophistication
appropriate to the right-wingnuts and 49-51 percent of the voting public, if
you couch it in terms of the war on terror. So far as I can tell, that's the
kind of planning and execution the right-wingnuts are good at. Perhaps you
can also have him add a rider removing Habeas Corpus. Oh wait, that already
happened.

Jon,
Did it ever occur to you that intolerance is intolerance, whether it be
on the right side of the fence or on the left side? Meeting somewhere
in the middle is usually the way to keep good neighbors and harmony
where slinging mud pies across the fence line usually just irritates the
other party to the point where they won't listen anymore. You of all
people should know that whatever Gilly responds to, and the way he
responds, is to evoke a reaction or to make one think. I think this has
slipped you by this time.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I was responding to Bart, who is a friend of mine.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

As much as I displike French politics. You have to admit
they are some of the best sailors in the world.

I just had a French sailing student who was very impressive.

Capt. JG wrote:
I think you should have your congressman introduce an amendment to the
constitution changing the phrases French Fries and French Toast to Freedom
Fries and Freedom Toast. I'm sure that's the level of sophistication
appropriate to the right-wingnuts and 49-51 percent of the voting public, if
you couch it in terms of the war on terror. So far as I can tell, that's the
kind of planning and execution the right-wingnuts are good at. Perhaps you
can also have him add a rider removing Habeas Corpus. Oh wait, that already
happened.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I've found Brits and Germans to be excellent as well. I also have a friend
who's from Brazil who, while being a novice, seems to get it quickly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

ps.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
I think you should have your congressman introduce an amendment to the
constitution changing the phrases French Fries and French Toast to
Freedom
Fries and Freedom Toast. I'm sure that's the level of sophistication
appropriate to the right-wingnuts and 49-51 percent of the voting public,
if
you couch it in terms of the war on terror. So far as I can tell, that's
the
kind of planning and execution the right-wingnuts are good at. Perhaps
you
can also have him add a rider removing Habeas Corpus. Oh wait, that
already
happened.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Bart wrote:
The Democrats don't have a policy on Immigration,
except amnesty,

?????

Excuse me, it was President Bush who offered amnesty to
illegal immigrants; and who has done very little to secure
our borders. Did he become a Democrat?

How about the Democrats plan to actually do something about
Social Security (other than loot it)? Not much you'll hear
about that, especially on the "liberal biased" media.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Bart wrote:
The Democrats don't have a policy on Immigration,
except amnesty,

?????

Excuse me, it was President Bush who offered amnesty to illegal
immigrants; and who has done very little to secure our borders. Did he
become a Democrat?

How about the Democrats plan to actually do something about Social
Security (other than loot it)? Not much you'll hear about that, especially
on the "liberal biased" media.

DSK

Dammit Doug, there you go again splashing the cold bucket of reality on
everything. Don't you know this is Usenet? Everything is fantasy.