posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hawaii Earthquake

From a member of my MG Discussion Group;
Dear List:
Hawaii's 6.6 Richter scale earthquake was scary! My hollow-tile brick
house was rumbling and shaking more than I've ever experienced. My
daughter and I just had enough time to catch our breaths (we were braced
in the door frame) when the aftershock hit. It wasn't just the severity,
it was the duration that was scary.
I am guessing you have heard about it on the news by now. Luckily there
haven't been any casualties, although there are reports of broken bones.
The Big Island of Hawaii's east coast has the worst damage. Here on Maui
we had some landslides. My husband is stuck on Oahu with the airports
being limited in their traffic because of the power grid being brought
back up slowly for safety reasons. No tsunamis were generated. Actually,
we have been very fortunate this time.
The geology of the islands and this recent quake makes for fascinating
Earth Science. The science teacher in me wishes I weren't on medical
disability because the lessons just keep getting created in my head!
Those of you who may have friends or relatives here shouldn't worry.
They just might be a bit delayed in getting home but I'm sure they are
safe.
Aloha,
Linda from Maui

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

As it turns out, I'm drinking coffee grown by a friend with a small
farm near the epicenter. Here's her report, from alt.coffee:

Hey thanks for asking. We do have electricity but are kind of in
shock. It was a huge, to me, earthquake of 6.5. We lost many of
Bob's bottle collection, cats have disappeared, one water tank needs
big structural help, and the aftershocks are creepy. Not getting any
work done.

The most interesting thing to me was the huge dust cloud after some of
the cliffs at Kealakekua Bay must have crumbled. That cloud sailed
out to sea and I can still see the last traces and it is over 1.5
hours later.

But the coffee plants are fine.

Again thanks for asking. that was scary.

with aloha,
Cea
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email

Thom Stewart wrote:
From a member of my MG Discussion Group;
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
From a member of my MG Discussion Group;
[...]

As wonderful a place as Hawaii is, people forget that what it really is
is not a tropical Paradise but a series of volcanoes...always amazes me
when people are surprised when the natural happens....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

As wonderful a place as Hawaii is, people forget that what it really is
is not a tropical Paradise but a series of volcanoes...always amazes me
when people are surprised when the natural happens....

Why can't it be both a tropical Paradise and a series of volcanoes?
There are only three active volcanoes, all on the Big island, plus a
few dormant.

So what part of the world is immune from natural disasters?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:
katy wrote:

As wonderful a place as Hawaii is, people forget that what it really
is is not a tropical Paradise but a series of volcanoes...always
amazes me when people are surprised when the natural happens....

Why can't it be both a tropical Paradise and a series of volcanoes?
There are only three active volcanoes, all on the Big island, plus a few
dormant.

Ok...Paradise sitting on top of Hell

So what part of the world is immune from natural disasters?

None, really, but there are areas that are not involved in active land
mass building...I'm still waiting dor the 2 mile high tsunami Joe
predicted would hit the Eastern seaboard....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:
Jeff wrote:
katy wrote:

As wonderful a place as Hawaii is, people forget that what it really
is is not a tropical Paradise but a series of volcanoes...always
amazes me when people are surprised when the natural happens....

Why can't it be both a tropical Paradise and a series of volcanoes?
There are only three active volcanoes, all on the Big island, plus a
few dormant.

Ok...Paradise sitting on top of Hell

So what part of the world is immune from natural disasters?

None, really, but there are areas that are not involved in active land
mass building...I'm still waiting dor the 2 mile high tsunami Joe
predicted would hit the Eastern seaboard....

Actually I think the prediction is for the "possibility of 50 meter
waves" sometime in the next 2000 years or so.

You can run but you can't hide.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:
katy wrote:
Jeff wrote:
katy wrote:

As wonderful a place as Hawaii is, people forget that what it really
is is not a tropical Paradise but a series of volcanoes...always
amazes me when people are surprised when the natural happens....

Why can't it be both a tropical Paradise and a series of volcanoes?
There are only three active volcanoes, all on the Big island, plus a
few dormant.

Ok...Paradise sitting on top of Hell

So what part of the world is immune from natural disasters?

None, really, but there are areas that are not involved in active land
mass building...I'm still waiting dor the 2 mile high tsunami Joe
predicted would hit the Eastern seaboard....

Actually I think the prediction is for the "possibility of 50 meter
waves" sometime in the next 2000 years or so.

You can run but you can't hide.

It will be a quick death....

Space from US to Hawaii? [email protected] Cruising 9 January 9th 06 04:10 AM
Oh No...a Cell Phone Photo from Hawai'i Starbuck General 22 October 1st 05 02:28 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Safety gear, kayak,open ocean, Hawaii, ACR 406 EPIRB, Katadyn Survivor 35, epipen Scott Bemis General 0 March 16th 04 06:51 PM