Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 35s5 and Dopey Sloco!

here is a picture of the sail on my boat, it's a few inches shy of the
stripe 6.5 inches to be exact, but with a bigger roach, it will be
plenty of sail area. plus when you jibe in light air, you want to
clear the backstay. BTW, the OEM mylar mains were a few inches short of
the hoist mark on these boats and I've never seen a 35s5 in person or
online with the head level with the stripe, so we worked with that and
generated more roach than the stock main for greater square footage
overall. We copied the setup from a North sail that was cut the same
way. Try sailing under the main by itself and you'll really see what
this sail can do. Remember the max hoist is set for the mast and not a
"goal" for where the hoist must reach. Added roach is superior to max.
hoist. Ask any sailmaker. Center of effort is lower and we point
better. I think you'll be very pleased with the sail.

Mike

Mike is the original owner. He sent me the same pic I've been posting
which shows the top batten close to the backstay. You can't hit the
hoist stripe without giving up roach, period. The added roach ADDS sail
area over the convention main, yet Sloco somehow thinks North, Doyle,
UK and others who race all have it wrong!
In any case, this is all silly. We're not racing, so even if the Kevlar
main was flawed by a short hoist and no additional roach, it wouldn't
matter. Of course that's not the case, as Sloco probably now realizes
and he's having a COW!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!.....I'm off to the boats, folk. Nice looking day. Wish I
had the genoa here to really try things out....it'll have to wait until
next week. Boo hoo!

RB
35s5
NY