posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 35s5 and Dopey Sloco!

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

Or in your case, daze sailing.

Quit suckin' up ... !!!

CM-

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

I thought your boat was a mast head rigged cutter. Anyway plenty of boats
have the same characteristics, power from the headsail.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
masthead sloop...

I am kind of partial to frac rigs myself, but that's a
personal taste. Masthead rigs are generally stronger.

Many full-batten boats have to give the boom a quick pump to get the sail
re-cambered to the new side when they tack. Again, not really a problem.

I have never been required to do that... then again most novices overtighten
their battens.

Or people who want to force camber into their sails for more
power in light air or waves.

I can't understand the value in having to pump the boom to snap a batten to
the opposite camber.... when merely having it happen, smoothly , on it's
own, within a normal sweep of the boom would be any slower.

If you're racing, it gives you a free pump of the sail

How much sail area do you want? More roach is one way to get more.

I want a suit of canvas that my vessel will comfortably carry. They needn't
be woven from pixie dust and quantum filaments.

How about dinghy made from that

I can carry a 160% deck sweeper of a gen and full main in up to 22 kts of
wind.

Hmm, unless you sail in an area where that's an everyday
occurence, I would call your boat underpowered. Most of the
places I sail, a boat would have to be well powered up in 5
~ 8 knots of wind. That means changing down and/or reefing
as the wind climbs thru the teens.

At 45 + kts I can deploy the storm jib and drop 3 reefs in the main to
make ground to winward with minimal heel and max progress. I have a reefable
120 and a 100.

A reefable jib, especially one with removable panels, is
great but it seems out of favor nowadays. I used to sail on
boats with lace-on foot panels that were great in strong
wind. I also like a main with a triple reef.

Our little Hunter came with only one short reef, when we
ordered custom sails I got 2 with the height of the reef
planned so that the leach of the main would oppose the
headstay and then the spreaders & lowers. We sailed that
boat a couple of times under main alone in 35+ winds. Most
mass-produced boats aren't rigged all that well for reefing
& heavy weather sailing IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Now...on to making a total ass of Sloco....I have found out that NO
max
hoist stripe was added by Beneteau on the 35s5's. And I'm going to post

a pic (again) to prove it. But that's for a better thread than
this!

Hey Dude, I was only going by the pictures YOU posted. That mast had a
black band. Or was it 2? Or maybe 3? You never did explain that one.
Maybe one was for PHRF and the other one was for MORC. Or maybe one
was just the mast head crane/extrusion joint like I said. Good luck.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message

Hmm, unless you sail in an area where that's an everyday occurence, I
would call your boat underpowered. Most of the places I sail, a boat would
have to be well powered up in 5 ~ 8 knots of wind. That means changing
down and/or reefing as the wind climbs thru the teens.

Ahem... you'd be in a constant state of reef around here if that's what you
are accustomed to. Sounds rather tender and finicky. 20-25 kts wind here is
pretty normal. You don't make much headway when sailing into a seaway in any
wind below 10kts. The swells alone can be 30 feet high. I don't do much
playing with thermals and lifts... wind here just appears from a direction
and you use it to get where you want. It's usually steady but can be gusty.
My boat makes good in sea conditions and provides a dry, solid feel with
sufficient balance to accommodate the wind and wave states.

I have found that I can achieve higher sustained speeds in ocean conditions
than in coastal/harbour areas. Nonetheless... I have a solid sailboat that
has never failed to impress me and has delivered it's various crews to the
destination in comfort, safely and in good time.

One can't ask for more....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I have a solid sailboat that
has never failed

Yep, just keep rebuilding it and you'll be fine. What you've basically
done is buy a poor boat and rebuild it into a low end Island Packet.
Good for you.
I have a Mercury Bobcat. Can you take the parts and build me a Lotus?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Yep, just keep rebuilding it and you'll be fine. What you've basically
done is buy a poor boat and rebuild it into a low end Island Packet.
Good for you.

Look... I maintain and upgrade my boat according to requirements imposed by
time, atrophy and geography..... you simply flog your boat and buy another.
However you decide to intrepret that..... I know every strenght and weakness
of my vessel. You do not have that luxury Bobsprit. You'll never experience
the true merging of man and boat to exceed the sum of it's parts. You
seriously need to expand your horizons. You need to see yourself for what
you are. If not.... you'll never inspire that confidence in your crew and
you'll never, ever understand that achievement.

I have a Mercury Bobcat. Can you take the parts and build me a Lotus?

Short answer... you can "Pimp Your Own Ride" ... you've been doing it for
years! It won't make you a better sailor ... anymore than having a gold
plated grill on a Lada make you a better driver.

Thank You Very Much... I'll be here all week.

CM-

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Ahem... you'd be in a constant state of reef around here if that's what you
are accustomed to.

Which would be fine.
Another thing is that small racing class boats do not have
reef points. You learn to power up, you learn to de-power.

... Sounds rather tender and finicky.

Only if you think that a number assigned to the wind you
sail in is something to brag about. More=better, right?

I happen to like sailing in strong winds, but also don't
like to be stuck in a boat that won't move when there is
less wind.

.... 20-25 kts wind here is
pretty normal. You don't make much headway when sailing into a seaway in any
wind below 10kts.

You do in a boat that is designed for it.

.... The swells alone can be 30 feet high.

Doesn't mean much if the crests are far apart & not breaking.

.... I don't do much
playing with thermals and lifts... wind here just appears from a direction
and you use it to get where you want. It's usually steady but can be gusty.

The wind shifts direction more than you think. Even a 30
knot wind will clock & veer 5 or even 10 degrees pretty
regularly. If you're sailing a long straight leg, there's no
reason to "use" these shifts but if you're trying to get
around a point or avoid a reef, it helps to follow them
rather than fight (or ignore) them.

My boat makes good in sea conditions and provides a dry, solid feel with
sufficient balance to accommodate the wind and wave states.

Which is all good

I have found that I can achieve higher sustained speeds in ocean conditions
than in coastal/harbour areas.

Sure, that's what it was designed for. It could be raced
around the bouys, in fact it could even be fun against
similar boats. But your Nordica is designed for sea
conditions and although I haven't sailed one, I have seen
them around and think they would be hard to improve on for that.

One can't ask for more....

Sure you could. A boat with a self-cleaning head and a
cooler with a little mechanical hand that pops out with a
drink right by the helm.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message

Sure you could. A boat with a self-cleaning head

Whoa... up here we refer to that as "crew"

and a
cooler with a little mechanical hand that pops out with a drink right by
the helm.

Up here that's a galley wench.

CM-

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt.Mooron" wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message

Sure you could. A boat with a self-cleaning head

Whoa... up here we refer to that as "crew"

Well, when I come up there for a 2 day sail, I hope you refer to me as
company, not crew!

LP (bringing the old "cedar bucket" with me...)

and a
cooler with a little mechanical hand that pops out with a drink right by
the helm.

Up here that's a galley wench.

CM-

Does that include "furry handcuffs"? heh

LP (hoping you can cook better than Capt. Neal)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

Try hauling up the anchor when sailing.

I would be breaching the local ordinance regarding not exceeding the speed
of light.

CM-