posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron Capt.Mooron is offline

Default 35s5 and Dopey Sloco!

"DSK" wrote in message
"Ringmaster" wrote
In fact it gets
hung up in light air. We just flick the backstay.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Oh Yeah... there's a glaring endorsement.... you're rigged to foul in
light air!?

No problem. Some boats have so much roach, the main overlaps the backstay
by a foot or more.

Yeah... Well, there ya go. I sail a full keeler. full batten, loose footed
with 3 reef points... It's reef the main, reef the main power from the
headsail.

Many full-batten boats have to give the boom a quick pump to get the sail
re-cambered to the new side when they tack. Again, not really a problem.

I've never had to do that and certainly wouldn't rig for it to occur in
light airs... where clean travel and quick tacks are required. Then again I
don't have backstay clearence issues to deal with. It's a fin keeler thing.

Both can be a little annoying, but it's the price to pay to have a boat
that performs well. It's a lot smarter than having the sail a foot short
of the black bands and claiming that one is gaining sail area.

See there you guys go again with these marks.... like who cares? I think
it's a fair assumption to make that nobody on this group considers Bobsprit
a proficient sailor. He's marginal at best... totally ignorant of anything
but the very basics of navigation, He hardly ever deploys the headsail and
has never flown his chute.

Bottom Line is.... he'll have really cool looking sails. He'll even look
cool sailing. His boat is so plain as to warrant some fancy items. This in
no way means he'll be able to fully realize the potential or impediments.

It's his Lada.... if he wants a gold plated grill... who am I to argue?

CM-