BoatBanter.com

-   -   Heart of Gold clip to windward (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/74550-heart-gold-clip-windward.html)

katy October 4th 06 03:09 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Gilligan wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:
RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!

Trollus magnus!

Is he the same one that was in "Billy Goats Gruff"?

What is your favorite color?

Green, no wait - blue!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

both....

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 03:14 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

However, the highest VMG is always beating to
windward. And the highest that your boat has is well under 6 knots.
Thus, your claim of 6 knots is bogus.

So...you NOW admit that sailing upwind or to windward is not
necessarily beating.
We were not beating as I CLEARLY stated, therefore the VMG of 6 knots
to windward was 100% accurate and certainly possible and you just shot
your own argument in the head and backed over it with your car.
Someone call 911!!! I saw Jeff do it!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

Now I'm going to sleep. I'll check in the morning for Jeff's feeble
mule kick.

G'night to ASA.

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 4th 06 03:22 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Capt. Rob wrote:
Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow.

In other words, its not to windward.

GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark.

Since the mark is not to windward, this is not your "VMG to Windward,"
or as you said in the OP "to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." You
claimed it was VMG to Windward, and now you're claiming its the VMG to
a mark 10 degrees off the bow. You really don't know the difference,
do you?

Water is quite flat and the boat
is nicely in the groove, giving up very little. The fellow at the helm
has about 8 times more sailing experience than you.

You mean he has 400 years of sailing experience??? I'm impressed! But
what does this have to do with your obvious ignorance? Don't blame
him because you didn't understand what was happening.

I asked what our
VMG was and he said about 6 knots.

That may have been the VMG to that mark, but you can't pick an
arbitrary point and then use that for you VMG to Windward. You could
have just as easily picked a point dead ahead and claimed a VMG of 7
to 8 knots, but that isn't the VMG to Windward, now would it?
Remember, your GPS doesn't know where the wind is, so it can't tell
you the VMG to Windward unless you give a mark directly upwind.

He was VERY impressed with the
35s5's windward performance. But he's not the only one. So is about
every review on the boat.

yada yada yada. You're still an idiot. Whenever you've lost an
argument you try to claim you won because someone else is impressed
with your boat. What a jackass!

She easily beats her polars.

Right. Just like she easily beats her PHRF. Unless of course, you're
explaining that the reason she's beat by other boats is the tough PHRF
rating she got.

Yes, sometimes boats beat their polars by a tad. Usually its because
of new hi-tech sails, a smooth bottom, a quality crew, and some luck.
But you're claiming you beat the polars by a huge margin, with old
sails, and you weren't even trying to go upwind.

A French review
called her "the triumphant 35s5" and noted that they were also climbing
upwind with a VMG of over 5 and 1/2 knots.

And this is why you think you can easily to 6 knots with old sails?
Maybe you should be giving lessons to the French.

Heart of Gold's original
name was "Windward First" as her abilities to weather are well
established. Read the owner reviews if you like.
I don't know what to tell you, dude. You're obviously upset.

I'm not upset. You're just stupid.

I said we
made 6 knots and 8....hardly crazy numbers.

But here you just admitted it wasn't upwind, its was just the VMG to a
mark up ahead. You just don't seem to get what "to Windward" really
means.

I've seen monohuls do it
before and will again.

sure, but not yours.

Making 8 knots at 45 is hardly impossible, so 6
of VMG is also there.

Holy Bat****! You mean those French reviewers don't know how to sail
the boat??? You just said they were impressed that they got 5.5! But
you seem to have no problem doing better than that. You weren't even
trying to go upwind. At yet, magically, you outperformed your polars
and the reviewers. With old sails, not less.

And BTW, 8 knots at 45 is only a VMG of 5.6 knots. And that's not
including leeway, which drops it to 5.3.

The problem is that you simply don't know what
upwind means. You "think" it means only beating and that's just not the
case.

Bob, you've just admitted over and over that you don't know what
you're talking about. Why don't you have your friend, if he really
exists, explain it to you? He can go real slow, and include pictures.

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 11:07 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

So now you're claiming that you had a VMG to Windward of 6 knots while
you were on a close reach and spilling wind? And you don't realize
how stupid that sounds? What a Putz!

Nope. You're soooo old and comfused! They are two different clips. In
this clip we're making 7.4 knots on a reach...sort of a close reach if
you like...hit 8 knots a few times. I have no idea what the VMG was at
that time. The clip in question is sailing closer to the wind and
that's the one that has you wringing out your Depends.
Jeepers...you are one TRULY confused guy! Are you on meds?

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 4th 06 12:01 PM

Capt. Rob wrote:
So now you're claiming that you had a VMG to Windward of 6 knots while
you were on a close reach and spilling wind? And you don't realize
how stupid that sounds? What a Putz!

Nope. You're soooo old and comfused! They are two different clips. In
this clip we're making 7.4 knots on a reach...sort of a close reach if
you like...hit 8 knots a few times. I have no idea what the VMG was at
that time. The clip in question is sailing closer to the wind and
that's the one that has you wringing out your Depends.
Jeepers...you are one TRULY confused guy! Are you on meds?

So are you still claiming that on any of your clips the "VMG to
Windward" was 6 knots? Remember, your polar says you can't do it.
The French review that you quote says you can't do it. You admitted
that when your friend told you the VMG he was referring not "to
windward" but to a mark 10 degrees off your bow.

All you're left with is the realization that in fact you didn't
understand the meaning of the term "VMG to Windward" when you used it.
In other words, any claim you have to understanding sailboat
performance is bogus. Be we all knew that already.

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 12:20 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

So are you still claiming that on any of your clips the "VMG to
Windward" was 6 knots? Remember, your polar says you can't do it.
The French review that you quote says you can't do it. You admitted
that when your friend told you the VMG he was referring not "to
windward" but to a mark 10 degrees off your bow.

1st of all, GOOD MORNING, Jeff. I hope you slept well.
True, the polars (at our point of sail showing closer to 5.2 knots. The
Frenchy sail rag reported 5.5. And I'm reporting .7 and .5 knots
faster.
Keep this in mind: The fellow at the helm is a full time sailor. He
retired at 40 and has been sailing full time aboard some of the fastest
sailboats in production. Is it so impossible that he could have found
that extra half knot or better? He can certainly sail his J24 and J30
better than anyone I've ever seen and does Atlantic crossings almost
every year on performance yachts. He was pushing my boat to see what
she could do and was impressed (not so dead downwind).
If you choose to believe that he, his GPS and I are lying so be it. I
gave my report, included pics and video. Maybe next time I'll shoot
video of the GPS, compass and wind instruments.

RB
35s5
NY

Martin Baxter October 4th 06 01:06 PM

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers ???

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow. GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark.

Finally you admit that you used the term "VMG to windward" incorrectly,
thank you.

Cheers
Marty

DSK October 4th 06 01:13 PM

"Capt" Rob wrote:
... we're making 7.4 knots on a reach...sort of a close reach if
you like...hit 8 knots a few times.

Yawn.

Get back to us when you do spinnaker reaches over 20.

... I have no idea what the VMG was...

Of course not.

DSK

Martin Baxter October 4th 06 01:15 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

DSK wrote:

Jeff wrote:
? How about this: anytime you have a customer ask you about sailing, you
? show them this exchange as a way of proving your credibility? See how
? many buyers you have after that.
?

Then, ask them if they need a surveyor!
nyuk nyuk nyuk!

DSK

Yup, a surveyor who is not a member of The Society of Accredited Marine
Surveyors, or The Association of Certified Marine Surveyors, or any
other accrediting body. Shall we talk about Marine Brokers next? How
about what the New York Harbor Master feels about non licensed persons
undertaking to tow vessels in his jurisdiction for remuneration?

Cheers
Marty

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 01:38 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Hey, the King of Keels is here!!! Maybe his wife too??? Whore-ray!!!

Get back to us when you do spinnaker reaches over 20.

Bwahahahha! Get back to us when you have a SAILboat!!!
Dumb powerboater comments on a thread without even looking at the
sailing clip!!!! BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!
(Of course we know he did and it's killing him!)

RB
35s5
NY