BoatBanter.com

-   -   Heart of Gold clip to windward (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/74550-heart-gold-clip-windward.html)

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 11:22 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Second clip, still some nice air and a off to windward at just over 6
knots VMG....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 3rd 06 01:45 PM

Capt. Rob wrote:
Second clip, still some nice air and a off to windward at just over 6
knots VMG....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

Once again, RB demonstrates that he doesn't understand the meaning of
"VMG" - how embarrassing for him!

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 02:31 PM

Jeff wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:
Second clip, still some nice air and a off to windward at just over 6
knots VMG....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

Once again, RB demonstrates that he doesn't understand the meaning of
"VMG" - how embarrassing for him!

Uh, poor Jeff. VMG was based on our progress to a bouy as reported by
Bob's Garmin Foretrex 201. Bob does transatlantic deliveries almost
every year. How many have you done?
I guess boats never beat their polars, right Jeff?
How embarassing for you. What's worse is that you really don't know our
exact point of sail, which makes a huge difference of course. Did I
mention that this was embarassing for you? I wonder how well you can
sail when you make dopey trolls like this.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Clonk! Where's Gilligan?!

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 3rd 06 03:18 PM

Capt. Rob wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:
Second clip, still some nice air and a off to windward at just over 6
knots VMG....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

Once again, RB demonstrates that he doesn't understand the meaning of
"VMG" - how embarrassing for him!

Uh, poor Jeff. VMG was based on our progress to a bouy as reported by
Bob's Garmin Foretrex 201. Bob does transatlantic deliveries almost
every year. How many have you done?

When "Bob" comes on this forum and says that the upwind VMG, through
the water, was truly over 6 knots you might have something. Until
then, you have nothing except the word of a self-admitted pathological
liar who has repeatedly shown he doesn't understand the concept of VMG.

BTW, As everyone (except you, apparently) knows, unless the buoy is
directly upwind, it doesn't count as "upwind VMG."

I guess boats never beat their polars, right Jeff?

Not by that large an amount. Even if you were doing 8 knots through
the water at 40 degrees true, adding in a bit of leeway, you would
only be at 5.7 knots.

I don't even know what the 35s5 polars say, but the 36.7 has a peak
VMG of under 5, and the 407 is just over 5 knots; and this is not
taking into account leeway. Both of these boats have a PHRF 40 points
or more faster than the 35s5.

How embarassing for you. What's worse is that you really don't know our
exact point of sail, which makes a huge difference of course.

Your point of sail??? You said "to windward at just over 6
knots VMG." To a sailor, that pretty much says it all. Once again,
you've shown that you don't actually understand the terms "to
windward" and "VMG."

Did I
mention that this was embarassing for you? I wonder how well you can
sail when you make dopey trolls like this.

Yes Bob, I suppose its embarrassing for all of us. You're here making
a total fool of yourself, showing that you don't understand even the
simplest concepts of sailing, and its becoming clear that you lack the
intellectual capacity to ever learn them.

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 03:36 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Your point of sail??? You said "to windward at just over 6
knots VMG." To a sailor, that pretty much says it all. Once again,
you've shown that you don't actually understand the terms "to
windward" and "VMG."

Uh, Jeff....to windward does not mean mean you're as high up as you can
go. You CLEARLY don't know what windward means at all. You seem to
think that it must be fully close hauled. Nope and nope. I never said
we were beating, which is more specific to most folks, but even that is
not always optimal upwind work, now is it?! Jeff, look at ANY sailing
book. Anything higher than a BEAM REACH is upwind!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now lets see you backpedal out of this one.
All you have left...and have been reduced to...is calling me names.
I've posted video of Heart of Gold clearly booking and a fun sail. I
reported speed and VMG via the GPS.

Sorry we're having a blast with the boat, Jeff. I can see it's killing
you when you see a video of Heart of Gold flying along and all you do
is cry about our VMG!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! CRACK!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Gilligan October 3rd 06 03:47 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Clonk! Where's Gilligan?!

I'm right here RB. I'm a new man - drunk on the euphoria of factual, well
reasoned trolls. I can finally say that I truly understand and appreciate
your steamrolling trolls. You are truly the Juggernaut of Trolls. The global
warming trolls have them in a tizzy, turning themselves inside out over
nothing but hot air! There's a consensus they shout! Show them publications
from respected institutions saying there are still issues to be resolved and
they claim those that do not agree with the "consensus" are sham scientists
or less! We're talking NASA, NOAA, Max Planck Institute, Duke University,
etc. The poor sods with the little minds cannot handle unresolved problems.
They must cling to "consensus" even where one does not exist! If they do not
"have control" they must invent their own reality!

I now understand yet another dimension to your legendary trolling abilities.
Never again will I come at you with swinging mackerals. At worst, I will
stand aside and appreciate your fine trolls from a distance, at best I'll
stand alongside - flinging buckets of chum into the watery frenzy! Because I
have seen the light of the dark side, from this day on, I will never troll
RB. Ever!

Gilligan

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 04:08 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

I will never troll
RB. Ever!

Hey, you're supposed to SUPPORT Jeff's decision to limit the term of
windward to the confines of his debate! I hereby state that downwind
MUST mean DEAD downwind, which means a broad reach is NOT downwind at
all!!!!

Now...in this clip...GPS and knotmeter agreed on 7.4 knots. Are we
going upwind or downwind?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 3rd 06 04:20 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Thank you for admitting that you really don't understand the basic
terminology of sailing.

You're claiming now that whenever you say "upwind" you might mean
"ever so slightly higher than a beam reach" and when you say "VMG
upwind" you actually mean speed through the water, or speed over
ground, or what ever speed you think sounds cool.

Here's a hint: I have no need of backpedaling, you're the one who
said: "to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." That means only one
thing to a sailor. Obviously, it means something different to you.

Its nice you're having fun with the boat. Think of how much more fun
it would be if you learned how to sail.

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 04:27 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

You're claiming now that whenever you say "upwind" you might mean
"ever so slightly higher than a beam reach" and when you say

No, Jeff. Never said. All I'm saying is that you've made an arse of
yourself after I simply stated VMG upwind, which you ASSUMED must be
beating.
I'm not sure which is more embarrassing for you....

1) Raging over our VMG without knowing our specific POS and conditions.
2) Not really knowing what upwind means.
3) Falling into your own bucket of crap and calling me names.

Your own fault, Jeff. We went sailing. You stayed home. Same thing
happens today...but then I miss tomorrow cuz' Suzanne's working.
You sound like one seriously unhappy fella!

RB
35s5
NY

DSK October 3rd 06 04:38 PM

When Bubbles says anything at all, he's basically full of ****.

"Capt" Rob wrote:
No, Jeff. Never said. All I'm saying is that you've made an arse of
yourself

How? By trying to have a sailing conversation with the
Boobsprit, using actual sailing terms?

after I simply stated VMG upwind, which you ASSUMED must be
beating.

What else would it be?

In order to make 6 knots upwind VMG, you would have to be
going over 8 knots thru the water.

DSK

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:05 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." That means only one
thing to a sailor.

Uh...Jeff. I don't know any sailors so stupid as to think "windward"
means as far upwind as possible...or even optimal. Windard means quite
a bit more than that and different things for different boats in
different conditions.
Lordy, you REALLY made an ARSE of yourself with this one.
Here's the bottom line, Jeff. We WERE sailing upwind, probably not
higher that 40 (My shot sails won't allow it easily without fuss.
Sorry, Jeff....you truly DID make an arse of yourself...and over
nothing.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:07 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

In order to make 6 knots upwind VMG, you would have to be
going over 8 knots thru the water.

Knotmeter reported 7.2 knots when the GPS reported VMG of 6 knots.

Imagine if any of you were out sailing as we were....nope. You're all
HERE watching my sailing clips!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Martin Baxter October 3rd 06 05:09 PM

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

You're claiming now that whenever you say "upwind" you might mean
"ever so slightly higher than a beam reach" and when you say

Actually, to a sailor, when you combine "upwind" and "VMG", you should
be refering to to that component of the boats velocity towards a point
directly upwind of the boats present position; this is in fact an
imaginary moving point.

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy. Not quite the same thing.

Cheers
Marty

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:10 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Odd, since one measures "speed through the water" and the other
reports "Speed over ground"...

Happens all the time, especially in areas with currents.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:20 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy.

Well, Martin....in all honesty I knew the video clips of Heart of Gold
sailing nicely would upset folks like Jeff and Doug. On the other
hand...ZOWEE! Jeff really went zonko!
For a pathological liar, I'm sure good at coming up with photos and
video that back what I say in every case. Poor Scotty still thinks I
went around and put shackles on all the boats at my club!

RB
35s5
NY

Gilligan October 3rd 06 05:21 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message

Think of how much more fun it would be if you learned how to sail.

No true! Ignorance is bliss!

Gilligan October 3rd 06 05:23 PM

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On 3 Oct 2006 08:08:58 -0700, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Now...in this clip...GPS and knotmeter agreed on 7.4 knots.

Odd, since one measures "speed through the water" and the other
reports "Speed over ground"...

CWM

My navigation system measures velocity through absolute space. It even nulls
out ether drift.

DSK October 3rd 06 05:34 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy.

Or something other phrase entirely, without the term "VMG."

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Well, Martin....in all honesty I knew the video clips of Heart of Gold
sailing nicely would upset folks like Jeff and Doug.

??
You must have an empty life, Bubbles. Why would I watch one
of your videos? I have no interest in sucking up bandwidth
(nor my own time) watching clueless people sail badly.

For a pathological liar, I'm sure good at coming up with photos and
video that back what I say in every case.

Except that you don't know what VMG means, and you don't
know whether the boat(s) you claim to sail are frac or
masthead, you get caught lying about the weather, etc etc.

DSK

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:44 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

and you don't
know whether the boat(s) you claim to sail are frac or
masthead, you get caught lying about the weather, etc etc.

Hey, Dummy! Didn't you even know that the H43 is a B&G rig? Poor Bart
was simply trolling to see if I'd mention it. You're one dumb sailor.
I especially like your post about not watching the video is question,
Doug. I'm NOT sailing the boat, dummy. I'm shooting the video and the
man at the helm has about 20 times more sailing experience and time on
the water than you do...and not on trawlers!

So here it is again, Doug. You're probably do green with envy to
watch...but here's Heart of Gold clipping along nicely....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

Vrooommmm!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:47 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Think of how much more fun
it would be if you learned how to sail.

Yeah....I'll do that when you learn to READ!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!
35s5
NY

DSK October 3rd 06 05:49 PM

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Hey, Dummy! Didn't you even know that the H43 is a B&G rig?

I don't know what a "B&G rig" is. However, I do know what a
B&R rig is.

.... I'm NOT sailing the boat, dummy.

Good. That seems entirely appropriate for your knowledge &
skill level.

DSK

Gilligan October 3rd 06 07:53 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!

Trollus magnus!

katy October 3rd 06 10:07 PM

Gilligan wrote:

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!

Trollus magnus!

Is he the same one that was in "Billy Goats Gruff"?

Jeff October 3rd 06 11:11 PM

Capt. Rob wrote:
You're claiming now that whenever you say "upwind" you might mean
"ever so slightly higher than a beam reach" and when you say

No, Jeff. Never said. All I'm saying is that you've made an arse of
yourself after I simply stated VMG upwind, which you ASSUMED must be
beating.

I would say that 99% of the boating community would say that VMG to
windward implies beating, although it can be an instantaneous measure,
it doesn't actually mean you're tacking back and forth. Nor does it
mean you're at the optimal upwind angle. You could be on a beam reach
or even going downwind, and your "VMG to windward" could still be
measured.

I'm not sure which is more embarrassing for you....

I'm only embarrassed for you ... especially since you keep digging the
hole deeper, revealing that you have learned nothing about sailing.

1) Raging over our VMG without knowing our specific POS and conditions.

Point of sail is irrelevant. When you say "to windward at just over 6
knots VMG" you are saying something very specific and well understood
by any experienced sailor.

2) Not really knowing what upwind means.

I know exactly what it means. Its quite clear to everyone that you do
not know what "VMG to windward" means.

3) Falling into your own bucket of crap and calling me names.

You mean the "pathological liar" comment? You've claimed a number of
times that you lie deliberately. In fact, you seem to take great
pride in your elaborate lies. Are you now lying when you claim you're
not a liar?

Your own fault, Jeff. We went sailing. You stayed home. Same thing
happens today...but then I miss tomorrow cuz' Suzanne's working.
You sound like one seriously unhappy fella!

I didn't stay home, actually I was out on a friend's boat.

Jeff October 3rd 06 11:31 PM

Capt. Rob wrote:
"to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." That means only one
thing to a sailor.

Uh...Jeff. I don't know any sailors so stupid as to think "windward"
means as far upwind as possible...or even optimal. Windard means quite
a bit more than that and different things for different boats in
different conditions.

Totally irrelevant. You're just digging the hole deeper. You really
don't seem to understand the meaning of VMG to windward.

Lordy, you REALLY made an ARSE of yourself with this one.

Right - you show total ignorance of basic sailing terminology, and you
calling me an arse.

Here's the bottom line, Jeff. We WERE sailing upwind, probably not
higher that 40 (My shot sails won't allow it easily without fuss.

Are you still claiming you had a VMG to windward of 6 knots? To have
a VMG of 6 knots you would have to be doing almost 8 knots through the
water. If we add in a few degrees of leeway, it becomes about 8.4
knots to have a real VMG of 6 knots. As I've said, I don't have your
polars, but the Bene 407, a much faster boat, does about 6.8 knots at
optimal pointing (about 40 degrees). So are you claiming that you
were going a full knot and a half faster than a Beneteau 407???

The fact the you continue to defend your original statement with
claims of not being at the optimal point, and not having good sails
makes you sound even dumber! My point is that even at the optimal
point you couldn't have a VMG that high for any sustained period. You
defense is just absurd, and simply shows you have no knowledge of how
boats work.

Sorry, Jeff....you truly DID make an arse of yourself...and over
nothing.

Sure thing Bob, you demonstrate total ignorance about sailing,
essentially admitting that every claim you make about performance is
totally bogus, and you claim I made an arse of myself.

How about this: anytime you have a customer ask you about sailing, you
show them this exchange as a way of proving your credibility? See how
many buyers you have after that.

DSK October 3rd 06 11:35 PM

Jeff wrote:
How about this: anytime you have a customer ask you about sailing, you
show them this exchange as a way of proving your credibility? See how
many buyers you have after that.

Then, ask them if they need a surveyor!
nyuk nyuk nyuk!

DSK

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 12:02 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

I would say that 99% of the boating community would say that VMG to
windward implies beating,

Total nonsense. Windward work is exactly that and does not always imply
beating. Beating implies beating or "hard on the wind." Windward is ANY
point of sail above a beam reach to use the term 100% correctly. If the
folks in your fartbutt county skewed to have a specific meaning that's
fine. But following both the rules of sailing and English, you're wrong
and I'm right. End of story.

You mean the "pathological liar" comment? You've claimed a number of
times that you lie deliberately. In fact, you seem to take great
pride in your elaborate lies.

Elaborate lie? There's a bloody video of my boat! Is it from ILM? Any
time I've lied I've later had great fun TELLING the dopes here that
they were lied to. Wait around and see if James Cameron admits to
creating images of my boat in low res to fool everyone!

I didn't stay home, actually I was out on a friend's boat.

If I owned your boat I'd be on a friends boat too.
You're a sad little man, Jeff. Sad indeed.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 12:05 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Jeff wrote:

"Point of sail is irrelevant. "

Good night, Jeff!!!! You're TRULY a sad little man! Now tell us....is
my boat going to windward? Upwind? Or downwind in this 3rd clip???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CeJAK6Esq0A

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 4th 06 12:46 AM

Capt. Rob wrote:
I would say that 99% of the boating community would say that VMG to
windward implies beating,

Total nonsense. Windward work is exactly that and does not always imply
beating.

You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Beating implies beating or "hard on the wind." Windward is ANY
point of sail above a beam reach to use the term 100% correctly. If the
folks in your fartbutt county skewed to have a specific meaning that's
fine. But following both the rules of sailing and English, you're wrong
and I'm right. End of story.

Sorry, it would appear that you still don't understand. Let me try to
explain. I'll try to use small words, but unfortunately it does
require some 8th grade math. "VMG to windward" is the Velocity Made
Good to a point directly upwind. It isn't your speed through the
water or your speed over ground. It represents the average speed you
would have on a beat to a mark directly upwind. A simple way to
calculate it is to take your angle to the true wind, add about 4
degrees for leeway, take the cosine of that, and multiply by the speed
through the water. The result is typically about 70% of boat speed
for a beat, but of course varies a lot with the boat and conditions.

VMG to windward can be determined for any heading, but for a given
condition there will generally be one optimal angle and implied best
speed for going to windward. However, a performance table will list
the VMG for all headings, zero at 90 degrees and negative numbers for
downwind. In all cases, this is the "VMG to windward."

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers (as well as many
cruisers) who prefer to use boating terminology properly as
"fartbutts" but this is just one more example of you making a real
jackass of yourself.

Jeff October 4th 06 01:11 AM

Capt. Rob wrote:
Jeff wrote:

"Point of sail is irrelevant. "

Good night, Jeff!!!! You're TRULY a sad little man! Now tell us....is
my boat going to windward? Upwind? Or downwind in this 3rd clip???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CeJAK6Esq0A

Its hard to tell from that clip. Hopefully, you're not beating to
windward, though given your lack of understanding its not clear you
know what that means. However, one can't tell for sure where the wind
is or whether the sails are trimmed correctly, etc. And, while it
would appear that the sails are trimmed for a close reach according to
the apparent wind, one can't tell, without knowing the real
characteristics of your boat, if you're actually on a beam reach to
the true wind, or even going downwind. Too many unknowns.

But again, this is all irrelevant. One doesn't have to see a picture
to know that its very unlikely that any 35s5 attained a VMG to
windward of 6 knots. Especially with older sails and without a race
crew. The best you could hope for in any conditions is probably
closer to 5 knots. If fact, that the essence of the whole discussion:
the VMG to windward of your boat simply never gets up to 6 knots.
That's why the point of sail is irrelevant!

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 01:20 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Holy backpedal, Batman!!!!
Now jeff admits that a close reach is upwind and windward!!!! After
saying the 99% of all sailors only think windward is BEATING!!!!
OOOPs!!!!!

Now he's prattling on about VMG without even knowing the bouy we were
headed for or really any other details.
Good grief. I predict Jeff will blow a head gasket quite soon indeed.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 01:38 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow. GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark. Water is quite flat and the boat
is nicely in the groove, giving up very little. The fellow at the helm
has about 8 times more sailing experience than you. I asked what our
VMG was and he said about 6 knots. He was VERY impressed with the
35s5's windward performance. But he's not the only one. So is about
every review on the boat. She easily beats her polars. A French review
called her "the triumphant 35s5" and noted that they were also climbing
upwind with a VMG of over 5 and 1/2 knots. Heart of Gold's original
name was "Windward First" as her abilities to weather are well
established. Read the owner reviews if you like.
I don't know what to tell you, dude. You're obviously upset. I said we
made 6 knots and 8....hardly crazy numbers. I've seen monohuls do it
before and will again. Making 8 knots at 45 is hardly impossible, so 6
of VMG is also there. The problem is that you simply don't know what
upwind means. You "think" it means only beating and that's just not the
case.
Go take some pills, old man. You need 'em!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 4th 06 01:38 AM

Capt. Rob wrote:
You really don't know anything about sailing, do you? Yes, if you're
on a close reach you're still making way to windward. However, your
VMG to windward will be **** poor, unless your speed increases a huge
amount.

Holy backpedal, Batman!!!!

No backpedal by me, only by you.

Now jeff admits that a close reach is upwind and windward!!!! After
saying the 99% of all sailors only think windward is BEATING!!!!

I never said "windward" was "beating," I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating; certainly that is the
time it is most important. However, it does not mean going at the
precisely optimal angle, only that the best VMG is obtained at that
angle. Since your boat's best VMG to Windward is lower than 6 knots,
your point of sail is not meaningful - whatever it is, your VMG to
Windward was not 6 knots.

OOOPs!!!!!

You should change your pants after that, Bob.

Now he's prattling on about VMG without even knowing the bouy we were
headed for or really any other details.

One doesn't have to know. You specified "VMG to Windward" which only
means one thing.

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 02:10 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

But again, this is all irrelevant. One doesn't have to see a picture
to know that its very unlikely that any 35s5 attained a VMG to
windward of 6 knots.

Ahhh. So NOW we're at "very unlikely." Progress, folks.
She's on a close reach. The main is spilling some air and needs to be
trimmed, but the boat is balancing okay and making excellent speed.
Moments later, Bob did trim the main.

And as usual, Jeff....while the rest of you tell bullcrap stories and
cry & bemoan that I sail so much more than you...I can also back up
even THAT trivial detail...as you see the main trimmed....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bobweby.jpg

Lordy, you MUST BE DYING!!!! Jeff, you've been decked, cleaned, fried
and served in a savory butter sauce. I truly appreciate the
entertainment you've given me!
G'night!

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 02:17 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

I never said "windward" was "beating," I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating; certainly that is the
time it is most important.

Holy super duper ultra fantastic BACKPEDAL, Robin!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What happened, Jeff? Did Doug alert you to what
windward really meant????

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 02:25 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating

More nonsense from Jeff. VMG to windward is measured from 1 degree
above a beam reach and higher all the way to the highest point of sail
possible. And THAT'S a fact.
Anyone want a slice of Jeff-Fish? It's a bit fishy, but just throw some
lemon on it!

RB
35s5
NY

Gilligan October 4th 06 02:35 AM

"katy" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!

Trollus magnus!

Is he the same one that was in "Billy Goats Gruff"?

What is your favorite color?

Green, no wait - blue!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Capt. Rob October 4th 06 02:46 AM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

What is your favorite color?

Green, no wait - blue!

None Shall PASS!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff October 4th 06 03:04 AM

Capt. Rob wrote:
I said the most sailors think
that measuring VMG to Windward implies beating

More nonsense from Jeff. VMG to windward is measured from 1 degree
above a beam reach and higher all the way to the highest point of sail
possible. And THAT'S a fact.
Anyone want a slice of Jeff-Fish? It's a bit fishy, but just throw some
lemon on it!

Yes, booby, I just said in the previous post that VMS's are listed for
every point of sailing. However, the highest VMG is always beating to
windward. And the highest that your boat has is well under 6 knots.
Thus, your claim of 6 knots is bogus.

Jeff October 4th 06 03:08 AM

Capt. Rob wrote:
But again, this is all irrelevant. One doesn't have to see a picture
to know that its very unlikely that any 35s5 attained a VMG to
windward of 6 knots.

Ahhh. So NOW we're at "very unlikely." Progress, folks.
She's on a close reach. The main is spilling some air and needs to be
trimmed, but the boat is balancing okay and making excellent speed.
Moments later, Bob did trim the main.

So now you're claiming that you had a VMG to Windward of 6 knots while
you were on a close reach and spilling wind? And you don't realize
how stupid that sounds? What a Putz!