BoatBanter.com

-   -   Heart of Gold clip to windward (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/74550-heart-gold-clip-windward.html)

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:05 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." That means only one
thing to a sailor.

Uh...Jeff. I don't know any sailors so stupid as to think "windward"
means as far upwind as possible...or even optimal. Windard means quite
a bit more than that and different things for different boats in
different conditions.
Lordy, you REALLY made an ARSE of yourself with this one.
Here's the bottom line, Jeff. We WERE sailing upwind, probably not
higher that 40 (My shot sails won't allow it easily without fuss.
Sorry, Jeff....you truly DID make an arse of yourself...and over
nothing.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:07 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

In order to make 6 knots upwind VMG, you would have to be
going over 8 knots thru the water.

Knotmeter reported 7.2 knots when the GPS reported VMG of 6 knots.

Imagine if any of you were out sailing as we were....nope. You're all
HERE watching my sailing clips!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Martin Baxter October 3rd 06 05:09 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

You're claiming now that whenever you say "upwind" you might mean
"ever so slightly higher than a beam reach" and when you say

Actually, to a sailor, when you combine "upwind" and "VMG", you should
be refering to to that component of the boats velocity towards a point
directly upwind of the boats present position; this is in fact an
imaginary moving point.

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy. Not quite the same thing.

Cheers
Marty

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:10 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Odd, since one measures "speed through the water" and the other
reports "Speed over ground"...

Happens all the time, especially in areas with currents.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:20 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy.

Well, Martin....in all honesty I knew the video clips of Heart of Gold
sailing nicely would upset folks like Jeff and Doug. On the other
hand...ZOWEE! Jeff really went zonko!
For a pathological liar, I'm sure good at coming up with photos and
video that back what I say in every case. Poor Scotty still thinks I
went around and put shackles on all the boats at my club!

RB
35s5
NY

Gilligan October 3rd 06 05:21 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"Jeff" wrote in message

Think of how much more fun it would be if you learned how to sail.

No true! Ignorance is bliss!

Gilligan October 3rd 06 05:23 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On 3 Oct 2006 08:08:58 -0700, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Now...in this clip...GPS and knotmeter agreed on 7.4 knots.

Odd, since one measures "speed through the water" and the other
reports "Speed over ground"...

CWM

My navigation system measures velocity through absolute space. It even nulls
out ether drift.

DSK October 3rd 06 05:34 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

What you perhaps should have said is that you were sailing upwind,
making a VMG of 6 knots towards a buoy.

Or something other phrase entirely, without the term "VMG."

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Well, Martin....in all honesty I knew the video clips of Heart of Gold
sailing nicely would upset folks like Jeff and Doug.

??
You must have an empty life, Bubbles. Why would I watch one
of your videos? I have no interest in sucking up bandwidth
(nor my own time) watching clueless people sail badly.

For a pathological liar, I'm sure good at coming up with photos and
video that back what I say in every case.

Except that you don't know what VMG means, and you don't
know whether the boat(s) you claim to sail are frac or
masthead, you get caught lying about the weather, etc etc.

DSK

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:44 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

and you don't
know whether the boat(s) you claim to sail are frac or
masthead, you get caught lying about the weather, etc etc.

Hey, Dummy! Didn't you even know that the H43 is a B&G rig? Poor Bart
was simply trolling to see if I'd mention it. You're one dumb sailor.
I especially like your post about not watching the video is question,
Doug. I'm NOT sailing the boat, dummy. I'm shooting the video and the
man at the helm has about 20 times more sailing experience and time on
the water than you do...and not on trawlers!

So here it is again, Doug. You're probably do green with envy to
watch...but here's Heart of Gold clipping along nicely....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

Vrooommmm!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob October 3rd 06 05:47 PM

Heart of Gold clip to windward

Think of how much more fun
it would be if you learned how to sail.

Yeah....I'll do that when you learn to READ!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

RB......the greatest troll who ever lived!
35s5
NY