posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Underwater Pinnacles

I was a little bit surprised to find an electronic chart
of Alaskan Islands with the following footnote.

A study by the Canadian authorities within this area
indicates hazardous pinnacle-like features which may
reduce the depths to as little as 30 percent of the
charted depth. For example, where a depth of 16
fathoms is charted, a depth of 4.75 fathoms may exist
nearby. An echo sounder may provide little if any
warning when approaching these features.

Here is an intersting link I found related to this subject.

http://fatherandsoncharters.com/

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Bart wrote:
I was a little bit surprised to find an electronic chart
of Alaskan Islands with the following footnote.

A study by the Canadian authorities within this area
indicates hazardous pinnacle-like features which may
reduce the depths to as little as 30 percent of the
charted depth. For example, where a depth of 16
fathoms is charted, a depth of 4.75 fathoms may exist
nearby. An echo sounder may provide little if any
warning when approaching these features.

Here is an intersting link I found related to this subject.

http://fatherandsoncharters.com/

Might as well install forward looking sonar while you have her out of
the water Bart.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Good idea.

Joe wrote:

Might as well install forward looking sonar while you have her out of
the water Bart.

Joe

Help in learning underwater barnacle removal JP Boat Building 6 September 17th 06 03:19 AM
Waterscope - oysterbox - reverse periscode - seeing underwater Tyrone General 7 September 6th 06 03:05 PM
Sailing and Cars Capt. Rob ASA 190 May 18th 06 02:45 PM
Underwater video gadget Joe Blizzard General 5 July 6th 05 04:43 AM
Underwater sails? Parallax Boat Building 14 May 7th 04 12:11 PM