posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default wind generators

"Barry Gordon" wrote in message

I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

The KISS is the loudest of the noisy ones. It's also the least expensive.
So if you are operating on the cheap, plan to anchor away from others.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And, the modern ones don't make much noise.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Barry Gordon" wrote
| I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
| wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

Don't even think about it.... If you want people to hate you get one.
If you want people
to think your rude get one. If you want your boat to look stupid get one.

I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a wind
genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yeah, keep posting them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Scout" wrote
| I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a
wind
| genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.

Since when does sailing make electricity necessary? If you really
want to sail you don't
need electricity. If you really need electricity maybe your not that
interested in sailing?
Using wind to make electricity is a good thing. Putting it on a sailboat
isn't.

Cheers,
Ellen

Ellen,

First your pictures are very nice. You just keep posting them and
ignore thoses mean people and thier rude comments.

Second, some people make more use out of a sailboat than others. While
your boat is just above a coleman tent, some people have valid needs
for electricity. Wind generators make less noise than a gen set
running. The new amp airs seem to be very quiet, we have one across the
canal and i can not hear it when it is at full speed.

Where did you snap the pictures at? looks like Florida.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

If you have nice insulation on your boat then you will not even hear
the wind gen unless your on deck, much less the people bitching about
it.

Joe

Capt.Mooron wrote:
An excellent item for the required onboard electrical needs. Don't listen to
these whining dock divas that have negative comments.... they readily fire
up an auxiliary and stink up the place to charge their batteries or leave a
dock. Most of them couldn't operate a boat without a massive electrical
output.

I'd recommend the sturdiest and largest unit your vessel can comfortably
carry. If anyone complains about noise... fire up the 1000 watt sound system
and crank up the bazooka tube to drown them out. Then fire up the genset and
your engine as well. Start hollering off key to the music and dance around
your boat buck naked swinging a bottle of rum. Keep that up for 30 min...
then put your clothes back on, shut down everything but the wind gen, see
how many vessels have weighed anchor... you won't have any further
complaints. It's all a matter of perspective.

Chucky is a ****ant without a clue about boats. He'll whine about noise and
sails in the frickien LIS... surrounded by noise and smog! Chucky you big
baby! You Weiner!

Several boats in my mooring field are equipped with wind gens... I don't
hear them. Almost every serious long distance cruiser is equipped with both
solar and wind gen systems.

CM-

"Barry Gordon" wrote in message

I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And the boat all closed up on a hot Summer night?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Capt.Mooron wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I don't know much about these except the
newer AirX has a brake for high speed that
limits it's efficiency compared to older one.
I'm told it is quieter.

In the tradewinds, everyone has a wind generator.
They are cheap work well in steady conditions.

My choice would be a combination of solar panels,
a wind generator, and one other source such as an
alternator on an inboard diesel. It's wise to have two
ways to charge your batteries other than the engine.

Barry Gordon wrote:
I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Scotty wrote:
And the boat all closed up on a hot Summer night?

Yeah..With the gen-set running, and AC cranked on high.

Joe

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Oh, now I get it, you're the noisy polluter we're trying to
avoid.

SV

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Scotty wrote:
And the boat all closed up on a hot Summer night?

Yeah..With the gen-set running, and AC cranked on high.

Joe

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com..
.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Air conditioning! :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
And the boat all closed up on a hot Summer night?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You can even a wind/water generator combo, but I've heard they're not very
efficient for either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

Wind Generators Barry Gordon General 6 October 28th 06 10:40 AM
Build-it-yourself wind generators - Mic Mic Cruising 7 March 31st 06 04:38 AM
SuperWind Wind Generators Geoff Schultz Cruising 22 December 14th 04 03:03 PM
Wind generators Nigel Boat Building 15 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
Wind generators Nigel Cruising 13 May 6th 04 11:02 PM