BoatBanter.com

-   -   wind generators (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/74293-wind-generators.html)

Barry Gordon September 24th 06 02:05 AM

wind generators

I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

katy September 24th 06 02:44 AM

wind generators

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:05:53 GMT, Barry Gordon wrote:

I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

Please don't anchor anywhere near me!

CWM

They are very, very noisy....

DSK September 24th 06 03:15 PM

wind generators

Charlie Morgan wrote:
Please don't anchor anywhere near me!

That's easy.

katysails wrote:
They are very, very noisy....

The newer ones aren't. There are boats with relatively (3 ~4
yrs or less) AeroGen and Ampair units in our marina, on a
windy day can hear them if you stand right next to the boat.
I can't tell you anything directly about their charging
performance, but the owners seem happy with them.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Ellen MacArthur September 24th 06 04:39 PM

wind generators

"Barry Gordon" wrote
| I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
| wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

Don't even think about it.... If you want people to hate you get one. If you want people
to think your rude get one. If you want your boat to look stupid get one.

Cheers,
Ellen

Scout September 24th 06 05:31 PM

wind generators

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Barry Gordon" wrote
| I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
| wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.

Don't even think about it.... If you want people to hate you get one.
If you want people
to think your rude get one. If you want your boat to look stupid get one.

I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a wind
genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.
Scout

Ellen MacArthur September 24th 06 05:40 PM

wind generators

"Scout" wrote
| I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a wind
| genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.

Since when does sailing make electricity necessary? If you really want to sail you don't
need electricity. If you really need electricity maybe your not that interested in sailing?
Using wind to make electricity is a good thing. Putting it on a sailboat isn't.

Cheers,
Ellen

Joe September 24th 06 06:28 PM

wind generators

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Scout" wrote
| I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a wind
| genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.

Since when does sailing make electricity necessary? If you really want to sail you don't
need electricity. If you really need electricity maybe your not that interested in sailing?
Using wind to make electricity is a good thing. Putting it on a sailboat isn't.

Cheers,
Ellen

Ellen,

First your pictures are very nice. You just keep posting them and
ignore thoses mean people and thier rude comments.

Second, some people make more use out of a sailboat than others. While
your boat is just above a coleman tent, some people have valid needs
for electricity. Wind generators make less noise than a gen set
running. The new amp airs seem to be very quiet, we have one across the
canal and i can not hear it when it is at full speed.

Where did you snap the pictures at? looks like Florida.

Joe

Edgar September 24th 06 07:31 PM

wind generators

Tow a propeller driven one if you sail. Wind driven ones are a nuisance
going all the time in the marina where you can plug into the mains if you
really need to charge batteries

. ..

Scout September 24th 06 07:42 PM

wind generators

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Scout" wrote
| I can understand the resentment regarding noise, but it seems like a
wind
| genny is right in tune with the philosophy of sailing.

Since when does sailing make electricity necessary? If you really want
to sail you don't
need electricity. If you really need electricity maybe your not that
interested in sailing?
Using wind to make electricity is a good thing. Putting it on a sailboat
isn't.

There is something magical about harnessing the wind, and it doesn't matter
much whether it's to push your boat along or provide electrical power to
your 2-way or your water maker or some other such thing, it's still a
beautiful thing.
Scout

Ellen MacArthur September 24th 06 08:03 PM

wind generators

"Joe" wrote
| Where did you snap the pictures at? looks like Florida.

Your right. It's Sarasota. The best generators for a sailboat are the ones built in. The only thing
you can hear is some water splashing out. But, you don't want them to be anchored too close. They
smell of exhaust. Sailing is all about fresh air. It's getting away from civilization. People should
be considerate of others who don't want civilization anchored right upwind of them.....

Cheers,
Ellen