Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Gloom and Despair - Seaward is dead

It looks like the deal on my Seaward is dead. Two significant occurrences took place.

1. The small issue: The current owner informed me that he was keeping the anchor, docking lines, and bumpers because he needs them for his "next boat." It just seemed petty. I drove 8 hours to look at the boat, and felt that that would have been a good time to let me know which things I was inspecting weren't staying. More of a tell-tale, but no real big deal. However, when someone is handing you a check for your asking price of nearly $50K, is it then prudent to let the buyer know that you didn't mean to imply that the necessary hardware stays with the boat?

2. The big issue: the current owner wants me to pay off his loan on the boat and wait 2 weeks for the bank to clear the lien and produce the title. I'm not big on finance but it didn't feel right to be in limbo for 2 weeks. Can I sail the boat? Get it insured? Since I am essentially giving the current owner cash, I feel very vulnerable. I think he is an honest guy but too much can happen in two weeks, and I don't have the time or financial and legal expertise to make it work comfortably for me. I know it can be done, but the physical miles between us and the small details will surely become a burden.

Major bummer. Back to the Google Board! ****!

Scout